Bud Powell - potential 5 Classic Albums sets

mjzee

It just occurred to me:

1) Sony Legacy could release a box set "Bud Powell - The Complete Columbia, RCA and Vogue Albums."  It could contain A Portrait Of Cannonball, A Tribute To Cannonball, Summit Meeting At Birdland (Bird), One Night At Birdland (Bird), 2 tracks with Sarah Vaughan from After Hours, Swinging' With Bud, Strictly Powell, and various Vogue tracks including the Oscar Pettiford Memorial Concert and the Kenny Clarke material on Swing.  Also, the Bud Powell Trio, released in the U.S. on Roulette, were originally recorded for Vogue.  Did the rights for that go to Parlophone/Warner, or do they remain with Vogue?  There's also a track on an RCA Italy album "Various Artists - More Jazz At Comblain La Tour!" from 1961.

2) Warner could release a "5 Classic Albums" set: Bud Powell in Paris (orig. Reprise), Bud Plays Bird (Roulette), The Return of Bud Powell (Roulette), Inner Fires (Electra Musician), the track from Mingus At Antibes, and maybe the Vogue material if Warner now has the rights.

Edited by mjzee

I always wonder why RCA(or its right holder) doesn't release Swingin' With Bud with one existing unissued tune -- "Lullaby To A Believer".  It's a nice children song well worth unearthing.  It was somehow issued as a track in a compilation CD in Japan long ago.

Edited by mhatta

27 minutes ago, mhatta said:

"Lullaby To A Believer" ...  it's a nice children song well worth unearthing.  It was somehow issued as a track in a compilation CD in Japan long ago.

Wow. Didn't know that. I looked for it on YouTube, but came up empty. I did find this, which I'd watched once many years ago and then forgotten about:

Love Dexter's voice ...

28 minutes ago, Late said:

Wow. Didn't know that. I looked for it on YouTube, but came up empty. I did find this, which I'd watched once many years ago and then forgotten about:

Love Dexter's voice ...

Nice.  Worth watching.  I liked the moment (around 2:00) reminiscent of the cover of Mobley's No Room For Squares.

Just now, mjzee said:

I liked the moment (around 2:00) reminiscent of the cover of Mobley's No Room For Squares.

I noticed that too. The expression of pathos on Bud's face throughout the film is powerful. At times it chokes me up.

13 hours ago, Late said:

Love Dexter's voice ...

Somehow I don´t really like this. Maybe it sounds dumb what I say, but my impression is that somebody wanted to do a "pseudo-modern" film. It´s too abstract. I think, strange films like that were something of film avantgarde during the 60´s. You watch it and ask yourself, was this really all ? 
If I want to see a good film about Bud, it´s the one they made after Francis Paudras death, with much more music and people talking about Bud, people who knew him, like Francis and Celia and the rare and interesting things that Margareta says, a swedish woman who was close to Bud in his last years. 

I think they tried to make another filme about Bud in 1963, it was a film maker from Jamaika as much as I think I remember that I read. Some well known fotos of Bud from 1963 seem to be made during that film projekt. Since it´s again Bud standing in front of a food store, , Bud sittin at a little table, it´s possible that this also was such a strange abstract film with very few things happening. One strange thing about the photos is that Bud, who always was quite heavy and short, looks very skinny on those fotos. Maybe this was because he conctracted TB ? Bud was at a french sanatorium but after his stay at the santatorium he was heavy again, almost bloated. Maybe some medication that causes puttin on weight ? There are still medications that makes you look heavier. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2021 at 5:17 PM, mjzee said:

It just occurred to me:

1) Sony Legacy could release a box set "Bud Powell - The Complete Columbia, RCA and Vogue Albums."  It could contain A Portrait Of Cannonball, A Tribute To Cannonball, Summit Meeting At Birdland (Bird), One Night At Birdland (Bird), 2 tracks with Sarah Vaughan from After Hours, Swinging' With Bud, Strictly Powell, and various Vogue tracks including the Oscar Pettiford Memorial Concert and the Kenny Clarke material on Swing.  Also, the Bud Powell Trio, released in the U.S. on Roulette, were originally recorded for Vogue.  Did the rights for that go to Parlophone/Warner, or do they remain with Vogue?  There's also a track on an RCA Italy album "Various Artists - More Jazz At Comblain La Tour!" from 1961.

2) Warner could release a "5 Classic Albums" set: Bud Powell in Paris (orig. Reprise), Bud Plays Bird (Roulette), The Return of Bud Powell (Roulette), Inner Fires (Electra Musician), the track from Mingus At Antibes, and maybe the Vogue material if Warner now has the rights.

Two more tracks for the potential Sony Legacy box:

Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers With Guests

Lee Morgan, trumpet; Barney Wilen, alto sax; Wayne Shorter, tenor sax; Bud Powell, piano; Jymie Merritt, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

"Theatre Des Champs-Elysees", Paris, France, December 18, 1959

Dance Of The Infidels Fontana (F) 680 207 TL
  Bouncing With Bud -

* Fontana (F) 680 207 TL   Art Blakey, Bud Powell, Barney Wilen, Wayne Shorter, Lee Morgan - Paris Jam Session
= Epic LA 16017, BA 17017   Art Blakey In Paris Featuring Bud Powell And Lee Morgan

10 hours ago, mjzee said:

Two more tracks for the potential Sony Legacy box:

Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers With Guests

Lee Morgan, trumpet; Barney Wilen, alto sax; Wayne Shorter, tenor sax; Bud Powell, piano; Jymie Merritt, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

"Theatre Des Champs-Elysees", Paris, France, December 18, 1959

Dance Of The Infidels Fontana (F) 680 207 TL
  Bouncing With Bud -

* Fontana (F) 680 207 TL   Art Blakey, Bud Powell, Barney Wilen, Wayne Shorter, Lee Morgan - Paris Jam Session
= Epic LA 16017, BA 17017   Art Blakey In Paris Featuring Bud Powell And Lee Morgan

Agreed: 

I love those two extended tracks above all. This is Bud Powell at his best, no one could say that Bud was in decline after 1953 or so, if he listen to this. This is top Bud Powell even within his own high demands. 

And I always said there are too many trio performances of Bud recorded. Maybe the usual trio settings started to bore him, since it is known, that Bud came to his old form, if he could play with fellow Americans, especially with horn players. 

This one was originally "Blakey in Paris".
There are other interesting recordings of Bud with horn players like "Our Man in Paris" with Dex, "Dizzy with the Double Six of Paris", "Americans in Europe" (Impulse), "Hawk in Germany", and I also have some unissued stuff of Bud with Don Byas and Brew Moore from 1962 in Denmark.