Mario Pavone (1940-2021)

clifford_thornton

According to reports on social media from his collaborators and colleagues, bassist/composer Mario Pavone passed away from cancer on Friday, May 14, at 80. Sad news, excellent player and a fulcrum in the Connecticut jazz scene. He was a significant part of the Creative Musicians Improvisers Forum in New Haven in the early 80s, and also worked with Paul Bley, Bill Dixon, Alan Silva, Anthony Braxton, Bobby Naughton, Thomas Chapin, Perry Robinson, and many others. 

Edited by clifford_thornton

Saw him numerous times at Cornelia Street Cafe. He had great bands but of course his participation in the great Thomas Chaplin Trio is what I will always think of. Started playing bass in his mid-20’s IIRC. 

a couple of his recordings from the 90’s really resonated with me when I was discovering the “downtown” scene. “Dancer’s Tales” is a great one.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

15 hours ago, mjzee said:

Sad to hear.  I saw him backing Patty Waters in 2018, along with Burton Greene and Barry Altschul.  I believe he was self-taught.  RIP.

7516811536-IMG-0055.jpg

great photo; yours?

I am trying to recall if I saw Mario in person. I saw Joe Fonda many times (and hope to again). They were both anchor bassists of the CMIF.

Three times, all with Thomas Chapin. The first tine, with Thomas Chapin and Michael Sarin, very late at night in a small club in Vancouver, was surely one of the greatest sets of live music I've ever heard. The other two times were at the Knitting Factory.

Edited by kh1958

4 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

great photo; yours?

Yes, thanks.  I have a Canon PowerShot SX730 that's a pocket camera with an insane 40x optical zoom.  So even though I was sitting pretty far away from the stage, I got some good shots.  Here's one of Patty: 

7516811536-IMG-0057.jpg

Sad news. He was a great player.

From the late 80s onwards, he seemed to be omnipresent, but I cherish his playing on recordings from the late 60s and early 70s with Paul Bley, Annette Peacock, Nature's Consort and so on. Quite an impressive curriculum. I also have a soft spot for his 3 records on (his own?) Alacra label: Shodo, Digit and Sharpeville. 

Thank you for the music.

Edited by corto maltese
typo

For some reason Pavone was someone I latched onto really early in my Jazz listening and bought a fair number of his late 80s/early 90s albums. This is sad news.

Afterwards I discovered his earlier discography and also very much like the Alacra releases, Shodo especially.