Fletcher Henderson info requested / 1920s

There's not much in Hendersonia about his two sides on Edison.  Just this:

"It has been erroneously assumed that Edison's recording studios were in Orange, N.J.  Although his factory and pressing facilities were in Orange, his studios were in New York City at that time.  These records are a quarter-inch thick, are vertically cut, and can be played only on an Edison diamond disc reproducer.  Those who have such a machine, however, will be rewarded by the finest fidelity of the acoustical era, and by playing times of over four minutes per side."

Walter Allen provides additional information on the two sides, including identification of soloists.

There's another Henderson book, pictured below, but it has no information about Henderson's recordings on Edison.

9780195340655-us.jpg

25 minutes ago, jazztrain said:

There's not much in Hendersonia about his two sides on Edison.  Just this:

"It has been erroneously assumed that Edison's recording studios were in Orange, N.J.  Although his factory and pressing facilities were in Orange, his studios were in New York City at that time.  These records are a quarter-inch thick, are vertically cut, and can be played only on an Edison diamond disc reproducer.  Those who have such a machine, however, will be rewarded by the finest fidelity of the acoustical era, and by playing times of over four minutes per side."

Walter Allen provides additional information on the two sides, including identification of soloists.

There's another Henderson book, pictured below, but it has no information about Henderson's recordings on Edison.

9780195340655-us.jpg

so henderson band didnt record into the tube?????

IMG-6741

IMG-6743

well "shake your feet" will not be the finest fidelity of the era my copy arriving has a""""" "deep dig" at the start which clicks 12x on edison disc player and skips on modern equipment"""""" and also has no labels with info written in on hand on it but otherwise plays ok.........but for $8 itll tide me over till another turns up which right there there are none.  also need to track down "dixie moon" edison test press, which will prove a challenge to say the least.  Linger awhiles from some famous collectors left behind collection and is mint, and will be by far my top favorite and most prized disc

i plan on skipping over the "deep dig" part- not destroying my brand new diamond.  having my reprodcer rebilt by the world expert and it will then not only be the earliest shubert model in the world but the best sounding as well.  

thanks for quoting that for me

theres some henderson edison outtakes on youtube as well- the provence of these i also do not know

ALSO IN CASE YOU GUYS DONT KNOW

the RED STAR isnt like red stars on white label promos of later era- the red star denotes a DOG- a record that was expected not to sell and was printed in few quanities, and was not able to be retunred for cash or store credit by the dealer.  

oh wow

http://www.harlem-fuss.com/pdf/bands/harlem_fuss_bands_henderson_fletcher_early.pdf

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

My question now is- at what point was, and how did they manage to get the test pressing copied from the Edison archives where it is held, according to UCSB's DAHR archive.  It must of been a LONG time ago cause i also have it on my old Fletcher Henderson- 1923 lp.  

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

46 minutes ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

My question now is- at what point was, and how did they manage to get the test pressing copied from the Edison archives where it is held, according to UCSB's DAHR archive.  It must of been a LONG time ago cause i also have it on my old Fletcher Henderson- 1923 lp.  

Which Henderson 1923 lp do you have?

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Which Henderson 1923 lp do you have?

Fletcher Henderson – Archive Of Jazz Volume 33 - Fletcher Henderson 1923  (Vinyl) - Discogs

but its also on this- 

R-5647949-1617695381-4289.jpeg.jpg

so i just saw a video on youtube thats an edison disc copied from the UCSB archives...i emailed the director ive been talking to but i dont think something like this is availble to the private collector.  but it clearly was a copy with different font label and "on loan from UCSB archives" in the deawax- but clearly an edison copy-would love to get the unreleased Henderson sides on a disc cut for me- if even still possible- heres the video

VIdEo DOWn—— my speed was slightly less than 80— had to get real-time help and fix it which i successfully did - it was hella tricky untiL you figure it out then makes perfect sense - Edison did make these things kind of idiot proof- once I figured out what I was looking for and what to do I accomplished it - stay tuned for a redo 

On 5/26/2021 at 0:25 PM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

Chronological Classics you say? 😉

Loved listening to this, but it's interesting how much it sounds like Paul Whiteman until the swinging trumpet solo at the end!

gregmo

On 5/27/2021 at 7:41 PM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

Shake your feet!

This one sounded a bit less Whitemanish. Thanks for posting these, Chewy!

gregmo

• 2 weeks later...