ECM(?!!) reissuing Verve titles from the 60's? - in the early 90's?

Rooster_Ties

So I don't think I ever realized that ECM (:huh:) -- of all labels -- reissued at least a couple early 60's Verve dates (from 1961, to be exact), in the early 90's (1992, to be exact).

ECM reissuing Verve??  Was this the only release of this sort that ECM did?  Did ECM reissue anything else from any other labels?  Is there a story here?

Am I the only one here who didn't know this, and thinks it perhaps odd? - or at least a little surprising?  Or is there some logic to this reissue I'm just not aware of -- and did ECM ever do anything else like this again? -- or before, for that matter.

https://www.discogs.com/master/view/286302

R-11710273-1557606698-2786.jpeg.jpg R-11710273-1557606691-6564.jpeg.jpg

Is these two 1961 albums...

R-2806346-1539748555-4644.jpeg.jpg

R-6433313-1419106793-9934.jpeg.jpg

Eicher credits those Giuffre albums as his inspiration for founding ECM so I suspect that was the motivation. He reordered and remixed them for '1961'.

I'm not aware of any other reissues from other labels unless you include the Japo imprint

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Eicher credits those Giuffre albums as his inspiration for founding ECM so I suspect that was the motivation. He reordered and remixed them for '1961'.

I'm not aware of any other reissues from other labels unless you include the Japo imprint

and Japo was part of the ECM family, via Thomas Stöwsand (of Just Music).

Here's the DG description of it, btw, where I saw it used this morning and promptly started this thread (and it got snapped up there in less than 10 minutes, not by me unfortunately)...

• 2 amazing albums from the 2nd version of the Jimmy Giuffre 3! After working with his first combo of Bob Brookmeyer and Jim Hall during the late 50s, Giuffre hooked up with a pair of younger modernists – Paul Bley and Steve Swallow – reintroducing the piano and bass to his trio format, instruments that had been previously missing because Giuffre wanted to explore the possibilities of melodic composition freed from rhythmic constraints. With this trio, Giuffre was still working in that mode – as you'll hear on Bley and Swallow's incredibly free playing. The group's performances are not free jazz by any means, but they're a key link in that tradition – as Giuffre and crew do an excellent job of creating unconventional compositions, most of which feel like little sculptures in sound. There's a total of 20 tracks on 2CDs – and titles include "Cry, Want", "Trudgin", "Jesus Maria", "Ictus", "Sonic", "Whirrrrr", "The Gamut", "Herb & Ictus", and "Flight". Both records originally available on Verve, now repackaged by ECM.

Those two missing tracks (from the ECM double) & originally on the Fusion LP ie "Trudgin'" (tk #5/mst) & "Used To Be" have been released on the UK Emanem double CD "Bremen & Stuttgart 1961" (another stunning release)

Truly "Desert Island" material the ECM set - bought my copy in the mid 90s (new)