Whither Allen Lowe?

Dan Gould

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

well, from what I know, I will be out of commission for about 3 months. There will be a skin graft, sinus work, and tissue embedded between my sinuses and my brain; also some muscle transplant to rebuilt my very sunken forehead.

wow, that is quite a process. Sending healing vibes your way!

15 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

well, from what I know, I will be out of commission for about 3 months. There will be a skin graft, sinus work, and tissue embedded between my sinuses and my brain; also some muscle transplant to rebuilt my very sunken forehead.

Jeez, I thought you were just getting some skin grafts. That sounds like a lot more than that. Good luck with your surgery. There are some great doctors in Boston so you should be in good hands.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks all, out of surgery 10 days. in some pain but the graft is holding though as i pointed out elsewhere i look like an aardvark. From what the doctors told me this thing would have killed me in another year or two, left unfixed. There will be one or more reconstructive operations in the next year (I suffer from major radiation poisoning; the treatment killed the cancer but caused other problems). but as long as I am here let me mention that I have a double cd coming out in November on ESP called Ascension Into the Maelstrom. Mention my disease and get 10 percent off.

On 10/9/2021 at 7:41 PM, mjzee said:

Allen, if you'd like something to pass the time, why not participate in my Blindfold Test this month?  You might like it.

Thank you it’s a very tempting offer, but at this point I am in a great deal of pain and can barely see. Give me a few months.

• 3 months later...

reporting in....much improved, can see well enough to drive. I still look extremely weird, and my final surgery to reconstruct my face is not happening until next July or August. I am uncomfortable but not in a lot of pain. Finally sleeping after a long period of constantly waking up.

I am getting active; playing again, doing a recording session in April with Ken Peplowski (who himself has been quite sick), and another in March. Playing April 6 at Smalls and April 8 at Firehouse 12. May need to be accompanied by a nurse, but I have my pocket defibrillator and my medical marijuana and though my neuropathy makes me a bit unsteady walking, I am fine sitting and as long as I walk to the left (since I drift right) everything should be OK.

Edited by AllenLowe

10 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

reporting in....much improved, can see well enough to drive. I still look extremely weird, and my final surgery to reconstruct my face is not happening until next July or August. I am uncomfortable but not in a lot of pain. Finally sleeping after a long period of constantly waking up.

I am getting active; playing again, doing a recording session in April with Ken Peplowski (who himself has been quite sick), and another in March. Playing April 6 at Smalls and April 8 at Firehouse 12. May need to be accompanied by a nurse, but I have my pocket defibrillator and my medical marijuana and though my neuropathy makes me a bit unsteady walking, I am fine sitting and as long as I walk to the left (since I drift right) everything should be OK.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.