Happy birthday Archie shepp

Hardbopjazz

Great, I saw him many times, mostly as a quartet, but the last time (already in the 2000´s ) with a trio with bass and drums. Shepp naturally played mostly tenor and still great enough, albeit due to age a little more slowed down.

And he also played piano, a Monk ballad from the BN 40´s trio recordings, and he really did it very Monkish, if you closed your eyes you might have thought it´s Monk himself.

1 hour ago, felser said:

Happy birthday!  Saw him once in the 70's at the Foxhole Cafe on Penn's campus.  Shepp/Greenlea/Burrell/Cameron Brown/Beaver Harris.  Amazing, especially "African Drums".

JEEZ

saw him a few times -- twice with Amina Claudine Myers and once with Dave Burrell a.o. at the Vision Festival.

Great that this giant of the music is still with us and performing!

2 hours ago, felser said:

Happy birthday!  Saw him once in the 70's at the Foxhole Cafe on Penn's campus.  Shepp/Greenlea/Burrell/Cameron Brown/Beaver Harris.  Amazing, especially "African Drums".

That was a great band!  ... Wish I could have seen them. 

The very first time I saw him live was in maybe 1978 and the group was: Shepp on tenor and soprano, the great Siegfried Kessler on piano (born in Germany, lived in Paris), Bob Cunningham on bass, and Clifford Jarvis on drums. I´ll never forget that concert, though the performance hall was a very very ugly hall in a very ugly district. It was called "Kongresshaus", now there´s a food market (Billa) in the building. 
And about the same time, Shepp recorded "Bird Fire" with the same group for a french label . But they had a completely unkown trumpet player added on it and it would have been better without that trumpet, who anyway didn´t get much space.