Roger Hawkins (1945 - 2021)

soulpope

12 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Scrolling discogs and I don't have any album that he's ever played on, but am familiar with many of the artists and some songs. 

That seems odd, given what a wide swath of American music he played on.  I must have dozens.  Long thread over at SHF.  Great drummer.

22 minutes ago, danasgoodstuff said:

That seems odd, given what a wide swath of American music he played on.  I must have dozens.  Long thread over at SHF.  Great drummer.

Most of it is the kind of music my dad has in his collection. Hawkins played on some Johnnie Taylor albums but I don't have those, although I've got others by Taylor. 

4 hours ago, soulpope said:

So 70+ postings for Heino and not a single third party thought about one of the most important drummers in soul/music biz .... on days like these I do miss Paul Secor even more ....

Because, maybe, in real time, there were real choices between Muscle Shoals and Memphis. I made my choices early on for Memphis, even if it was a choice of degree (and a smallish one at that). But a choice it was, and is.

53 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Because, maybe, in real time, there were real choices between Muscle Shoals and Memphis. I made my choices early on for Memphis, even if it was a choice of degree (and a smallish one at that). But a choice it was, and is.

Al Jackson Jr. - DRUMMERWORLD

9 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Scrolling discogs and I don't have any album that he's ever played on, but am familiar with many of the artists and some songs. 

R-14509303-1577771948-7705.jpeg.jpg

Not at all intending to school master, but above album would stand for (one of= the best album(s) of Aretha Franklin and the art of Roger Hawkins .... so in case you should beone day in more s-o-u-l.ful mood .....

On 5/26/2021 at 2:43 PM, jazzbo said:

I first encountered him with Traffic and then enjoyed many other appearances. RIP.

Same here, Lon. I saw Traffic at Winterland in 73 and 74. He was probably with them in 73, touring with "Shootout at the Fantasy Factory". 74 might have been the "When the Eagle Flies" lineup.

On 5/26/2021 at 1:37 AM, JSngry said:

Forgive my ignorance, but why do you have to choose?

You don't "have" to, it's just something that happens when the radio is on a lot. It's why there's a #1 song on the charts one week, and then a #2 song right underneath it. And maybe next week they've flipped. But you can't help but want to hear one song just a little bit maybemore than another one, even if you like them both.