Coltrane - where is the vinyl?

Pim

Quite contrary to a lot of board members, vinyl is my format of preference. I’ve got pretty much all of Coltrane’s work on cd and my Impulse! Collection is definitely complete. 

What surprised me when I was diggin out his discography on Discogs is that Impulse! vinyl reissues from the last 10 years are very rare. That really surprised me as the format made a revival and Coltrane is among the most popular jazz artists. Of course with a few ezceptions like A Love Supreme.

of course it’s a matter of time before we got some crappy PD reissues but why are there so few Impulse! Vinyl reissues. Is it the Coltrane estate that does not want them to be released?

Edited by Pim

7 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I guess Analogue Productions are just starting to make up for lost time, with their new vinyl reissues. A couple of the early Impulse Coltranes are lined up for audiophile reissue I think.

Looks like it. They did Ballads and A Love Supreme already. They should do a double deluxe edition of Ascension, but I bet that doesn't happen. 

Those AP’s are nice but a little too expensive for me. Why doesn’t Impulse! reissue those albums themselves? The market potential is pretty big if you ask me. A nice vinyl reissue of Meditations, Sun Ship or Transition: that stuff would definitely sell.

35 minutes ago, Pim said:

Those AP’s are nice but a little too expensive for me. Why doesn’t Impulse! reissue those albums themselves? The market potential is pretty big if you ask me. A nice vinyl reissue of Meditations, Sun Ship or Transition: that stuff would definitely sell.

Acoustic Sounds through Analogue Productions is working with the Verve labels to reissue this material. I’ve purchased three of these reissues and the sound is spectacular, with beautiful glossy tip on jackets. The price may not be to everyone’s liking but at $35 I think it’s well worth it. Impulse couldn’t do it any better.

Incidentally, all these audiophile pressings sell out quickly so if you want one, I wouldn’t delay. It’s not that they go out of print but that QRP (as well as other pressing plants) are backed up and you will wait awhile for them to come back in print. 

Edited by Brad

I know they sound great Brad, but here on the other side of the ocean they cost around 50 to 60 euros. No way I am going to pay that amount of money for a single LP that I already have on cd. Now that I am checking more Impulse! releases, it really seams an Impulse! thing to reissue so few on vinyl. A Back to Black or Music on Vinyl series would be awesome.