2. A SLEEPIN’ BEE
3. TURN OUT THE STARS #2
4. AUTUMN LEAVES

Side F:
1. QUIET NOW #2
2. NARDIS
3. GRANADOS
4. PAVANE

This is an LP-only July release coming from Anagram Music of recordings made by the Bill Evans trio in Holland in 1969.   Does anyone have detailed discographical information?  It looks like some of the tracks might be from the Hilversum Varna Studios session from March 26th that has circulated for a number of years.  The track listing on sides E and F look like it could include some of the November 28 Amsterdam concert that has been released on a number of labels as "Quiet Now."   But there are some things here that I certainly have never seen before, including "I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart," certainly not a track in Evans' usual repertoire.  

On 5/28/2021 at 4:10 PM, John L said:

Oh, that's good. Thanks. I don't even have a turntable any more. :) 

Amen.. Personally this return to vinyl has gone so overkill for me... There's a reason the CD replaced vinyl and digital replaced the CD... Augh.... I'll grab the cd version when it comes out. Sounds like some of this has been previously released?

On 5/28/2021 at 7:18 PM, John L said:

Does anyone have detailed discographical information?  It looks like some of the tracks might be from the Hilversum Varna Studios session from March 26th that has circulated for a number of years.  The track listing on sides E and F look like it could include some of the November 28 Amsterdam concert that has been released on a number of labels as "Quiet Now."

Google Translate says:

Contains 3 sessions:
• March 26, 1969 in KRO Studio 1 in Hilversum
• A live concert of November 28, 1969 in the RAI Congress Center in Amsterdam
• Two bonus tracks from March 25, 1969 in VARA Studio 8: the Bill Evans Trio with the Metropole Orchestra conducted by Dolf van der Linden.

CD1 & CD2, 1-3: Recorded live at VARA Studio, Hilversum, Holland, March 26, 1969.
CD2, 4-10: RAI-building, Amsterdam, Holland, November 28, 1969.

*bonus tracks (CD2, 11-12): Same personnel but add the Metropole Orkestra under the direction of Dolf van der Linden. Arrangements by Claus Ogerman. NRU Studio, Hilversum, Holland, March 25, 1969.

A co-production of Elemental Music, Zev Feldman & Frank Jochemsen in collaboration with the Dutch Jazz Archive. Double album in luxury digipack with many photos by Nico van der Stam and from the Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision. With liner notes by Bert Vuijsje, memories of pianist Jan Huydts and interviews with bassist Eddie Gomez, drummer Marty Morell and pianist Vijay Iyer.

Live In Holland, 1969

Edited by Late
out-of-tune

• 2 months later...

I've not been too excited about some of the recent Bill Evans-releases on Resonance, but this (on Elemental) is a very fine set with stunning audio. 

As a Dutchman, it's somewhat painful to see what great jazz initiatives were funded by public broadcasting organizations back then. Unfortunately, we're not the same country anymore.

Edited by Mark13

Finally picked this set up, even though I thought I'd reached a saturation point with Evans. The remastered sound truly is stunning. I'd never had the bootleg, and only listened via YouTube, but this set sounds incredible. The music, thankfully, is excellent as well. I'm still not sure what I think about Marty Morell, but Gomez is on fire.

Damn. Listening again today. I'm tempted to say that this is essential live Evans. Great sound, excellent performance. For however much reviewers write that Evans had "telepathy" with LaFaro, it's really Gomez who anticipated nearly everything that Evans was going to play. I love LaFaro's playing, don't get me wrong, but Eddie Gomez had more time in the trio, and it shows. Those two together almost make drums superfluous. They were brilliant together.