Jack Jones - Disco Wives and Lovers

Yeah...this is pretty much why so many people think the hate disco, as well as why people who dance hate shit like this calling itself disco.

At least it's not Bosser Nover!

Really, Jack Jones has a great instrument, but a voice like that creating an aural permission structure to wear polyester and Hustle (both almost certainly cluelessly and tastelessly)... that's basically Rick Dees with a Pro Grade Satan (in platforms) doing the bidding.

And that playoff, with the trombones...my god, Joseph Welch already knew the answer when he asked the question.

It was LA. they could have gotten Plas Johnson, but (sounds like) they got Pete Christlieb. That's the difference between taking the money and whoring, between knowing and not caring, between love for sale and buy my pussy.

R-1745437-1495363137-7856.jpeg.jpg

Only slightly less a profanation b/c Joe Beck had the flayva already, no need to bare the (w)hoariest of cliches in the arrangement.

But still...totally unnecessary and pretty unpleasant. Joe Beck/Esther Phillips, there was some room to work there. Joe Beck/Sinatra...not really.

A bit better live, but not by much...

One of those guys should have booked Keith Mansfield. The we might be able to discuss seriously.

There's no such thing as a truly cool bachelor pad, that's just one more delusion of the deferred adolescence that is at the root of our dystopian world today.

Same thing with "man cave", yuck.

Real adults don't need excuses for running away, because real adults don't run away.

A keyboard player I worked with a lot was MD for Jack Jones for a while, and he said JJ was the most musician friendly singer he ever worked with. There was nothing he wouldn't do for members of his band. In fact, for JJ to have kept this dude as his MD for any length of time, revealed that JJ mist have been pretty out there, because the keyboard player was way out there. He got picked up by the police in Atlantic City, just for looking dangerous, was voted "Most Likely to Become a Serial Killer" by his senior class, and once knee dropped my amp almost overboard on a cruise gig we were playing. He overheard me putting down one of the changes he played, and then attacked my amp, and threatened to send me overboard too when I started yelling at him. I'm 99.9% sure he's no longer with us, and judging by the age the online obit said he died at, the rest of us in that band figured somebody must have put out his lights.

Those High C's JJ kept hitting were pretty out there, and the tenor solo was good. You can't say much good about the Joe Beck/Sinatra thing. Even Ethel Merman was trying to climb on the disco bandwagon!

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/29/2021 at 3:51 PM, JSngry said:

R-1745437-1495363137-7856.jpeg.jpg

Only slightly less a profanation b/c Joe Beck had the flayva already, no need to bare the (w)hoariest of cliches in the arrangement.

But still...totally unnecessary and pretty unpleasant. Joe Beck/Esther Phillips, there was some room to work there. Joe Beck/Sinatra...not really.

A bit better live, but not by much...

One of those guys should have booked Keith Mansfield. The we might be able to discuss seriously.

So, I'm gone traveling for a few weeks, and I return to the Board to find.....this....... I think I might have to leave again!

gregmo

On 5/30/2021 at 7:25 PM, sgcim said:

A keyboard player I worked with a lot was MD for Jack Jones for a while, and he said JJ was the most musician friendly singer he ever worked with. There was nothing he wouldn't do for members of his band. In fact, for JJ to have kept this dude as his MD for any length of time, revealed that JJ mist have been pretty out there, because the keyboard player was way out there. He got picked up by the police in Atlantic City, just for looking dangerous, was voted "Most Likely to Become a Serial Killer" by his senior class, and once knee dropped my amp almost overboard on a cruise gig we were playing. He overheard me putting down one of the changes he played, and then attacked my amp, and threatened to send me overboard too when I started yelling at him. I'm 99.9% sure he's no longer with us, and judging by the age the online obit said he died at, the rest of us in that band figured somebody must have put out his lights.

Those High C's JJ kept hitting were pretty out there, and the tenor solo was good. You can't say much good about the Joe Beck/Sinatra thing. Even Ethel Merman was trying to climb on the disco bandwagon!

Just found out from a musician friend that Jack Jones is doing a record right now with John Clayton. 

On 5/30/2021 at 10:25 PM, sgcim said:

I spoke to Jack's pianist/conductor about 15 years ago.  He raved about Jack's ear and innate musical sense.  I saw the show, and Jack was phenomenal.  

23 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I spoke to Jack's pianist/conductor about 15 years ago.  He raved about Jack's ear and innate musical sense.  I saw the show, and Jack was phenomenal.  

Yeah, he lacks a lot of those affectations that people like Mark Murphy bring to the music. Like Bobby Hackett once said, "Just play the melody!"