Putting CDs on I Phone via Mac & USB Superdrive

Larry Kart

I have an I Phone 11, a USB Superdrive, and a 2017 IMAC. What I want to do, and what an Apple Support person told me last night I could do (and he sent me guide to how to do it), is put music from my CDs on my MAC, using my Apple USB Superdrive to do so, and then transfer that music to my I Phone, where I could listen to it and I walked around the track. Problem is that my Mac won't recognize my Apple USB Superdrive; thus music from CDs can't be imported to my Mac from it. Today an Apple Support senior manager said that the reason was that my IMac was not on the list of Mac models that my USB Superdrive can communicate with. This seemed odd to me because the Superdrive and my IMac were contemporaneous devices, purchased at about the same time (though my wife, who bought the Superdrive had never used it). So I called Apple Support again, and the person I  spoke to said that my 2017 I Mac definitely was on the list of Macs with which my USB Superdrive was compatible. He tried to help me for at least an hour and retired in defeat. Any thoughts?

I just got a new iMac and purchased a USB Superdrive from the Apple Store. I haven't had any problems transferring music from CD to my iMac hard drive. Just open Appie Music and, when you load a CD into the Superdrive, the Superdrive shows up on the left side of Apple Music, right under the iTunes store. Just click on it and then it works just like iTunes worked in terms of displaying the CD and importing the CD into the computer (that is, uncheck any songs you don't want to transfer and then click on Import) At least, that is how it has worked on my computer. It seems absurd that you would not be able to do the same thing with a 2017 iMac. 

Is your iMac updated to the latest operating system?

Transferring the music from the iMac to an iPhone however exceeds my current skills.

Edited by kh1958

Larry, I do what you want to do all the time, without hiccups.  You may have a defective CD player (sorry, "Superdrive").  I'd try a different CD burner.  I bought an LG recently from MicroCenter for less than $30.  https://www.microcenter.com/product/485814/lg-super-multi-portable-dvd-rewriter-with-m-disc

BTW, have you tried it with a few different CDs?

Most of the time, the few tunes that I ever have to correct/annotate
when it comes to ID tags are classical recordings, but that’s just
because I prefer the composer’s name under “artist.”
Other than that, the approx. 1.5 million tunes I have in iTunes
are automagically ID’d properly.

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

Just solved it, with the help of an angel from Apple. Not sure why it wasn't working before...

So they didn't really help you, they just enabled your continued lack of knowledge.

Whatever you had to correct to make it work - that is why it wasn't working before.

I mean, ok, I don't want to know - can't possibly know - everything about this stuff, but I do like to know why it was not working to begin with as well as why what I was told to do worked to fix it, something a little more than NOW, it just works, that's all.

That's not a heavenly angel, that's a fallen angel sent by that main fallen angel, what's his name, Beezlejubuice, that guy.

14 hours ago, JSngry said:

So they didn't really help you, they just enabled your continued lack of knowledge.

Whatever you had to correct to make it work - that is why it wasn't working before.

I mean, ok, I don't want to know - can't possibly know - everything about this stuff, but I do like to know why it was not working to begin with as well as why what I was told to do worked to fix it, something a little more than NOW, it just works, that's all.

That's not a heavenly angel, that's a fallen angel sent by that main fallen angel, what's his name, Beezlejubuice, that guy.

You seem to be confusing Jeff Bezos, CEO of Amazon, with Tim Cook, CEO of Apple. 

On 5/29/2021 at 6:12 PM, kh1958 said:

I just got a new iMac and purchased a USB Superdrive from the Apple Store. I haven't had any problems transferring music from CD to my iMac hard drive. Just open Appie Music and, when you load a CD into the Superdrive, the Superdrive shows up on the left side of Apple Music, right under the iTunes store. Just click on it and then it works just like iTunes worked in terms of displaying the CD and importing the CD into the computer (that is, uncheck any songs you don't want to transfer and then click on Import) At least, that is how it has worked on my computer. It seems absurd that you would not be able to do the same thing with a 2017 iMac. 

Is your iMac updated to the latest operating system?

Transferring the music from the iMac to an iPhone however exceeds my current skills.

Out of curiosity, how long does it take your iMac and Superdrive to "recognize" a CD after insertion?  Mine used to be really fast.  Now it often takes on the order of minute for the CD to be read and another 30 second to a minute to get the query about importing.  I've tried contacting Apple to gain some insight into what might be happening, so far without any success.

2 hours ago, jazztrain said:

Out of curiosity, how long does it take your iMac and Superdrive to "recognize" a CD after insertion?  Mine used to be really fast.  Now it often takes on the order of minute for the CD to be read and another 30 second to a minute to get the query about importing.  I've tried contacting Apple to gain some insight into what might be happening, so far without any success.

The SuperDrive recognizes the CD right away. Faster than the cd drive in my old iMac. 

So, a "Superdrive" is a multi/omni-format optical drive for Apple devices? Or is there more to it than that?

Don't yet have any Applefolk in my family, but want to be ready if and when. My son is about to get into vinyl, so anything's possible! :g

The Apple SuperDrive is simply a plug-in CD drive since the drive is no longer standard equipment in Apple computers, presumably because most users view it as obsolete. Hence, as a user of non-current music storage devices, I get to pay extra. It may also play DVDs; I have not tried.

Ok, thanks!

Do Apple computers contain DVD/Blu-Ray drives now, or are they also considered obsolete?

My last PC, a few years old now, I had somebody build from scratch for me, from parts bought at  - yay! MicroCenter. I shudder what to look forward to eif I buy a new computer (even PC) from some palce like Dell, I wonder what I'll I'll have to "add on" that I now take for granted...

Same thing with cars, probably even more so with cars. The last renatl we had had nothing but a USB port...presumably you're supposed to Blu-Tooth it from your phone straight into the car, which...ok, but not what I'm looking for out of either "road trip" or "commute". iPad, yes, love my iPad (last time I used it, it still worked?), but just doing a playlist or something and letting it go, with no eas of "oh fuck, that reminds me, goota here THIS now"...I am not too old to drive, but I am too old to fuck with a phone while driving. Or flasdrive interface, maybe.

OTOH, I still have the USB floppy drive that I bought 10+ years thinking that I might need ir for something...not yet, I haven't! But if I do, I'm ready, as long as it's not a 5.25" floppy. Still have a few, but you know, gotta go with the times, right?

Have had the same thing happen with rentals - no CD players anymore, because they've become an obsolete item.
I think 2017 or so was the last time that I would travel with 10 discs, an iPod and a flashdrive to cover all areas - just cRaZy. Last couple of times, we just downloaded a few thousand tunes from Spotify and used the Bluetooth setup on my wife’s phone. 
We drive a 20 year old car now, so loading up 6 discs in the built-in changer is no problem (as I listened today when I made the trek out to Frisco to pick up dinner). [Sometimes, I even use the cassette player in it]. There is a CD player solution that you can discover on YouTube. I understand that it's expensive, so... At least with a thumb drive, it shows your tunes on the display. 
This player doesn't seem to show anything useful at all.

Edited by rostasi