The Growing Abstraction of Muhal Richard Abrams’s Final Years

Guy Berger

A few years back I went and listened to a bunch of Muhal Richard Abrams - the Delmarks, the solo piano album Afrisong, the Black Saints and then 6-7 thereafter.

Those 80s and 90s Muhal albums are mostly tightly linked to the jazz tradition, with the exception of the duets album with Roscoe Mitchell.  But I can’t really say that about the final few albums - the 3 Pi albums plus the 2 chamber music recordings.  Even the duets disc with Fred Anderson on Pi is really abstract.

What prompted this change?

Those Pis do sound noticeably different to my ear to the big band records on Black Saint, but it could be down to simply having the material circumstances for the first time.

I find it hard to trace any direct line in development for Abrams because he was always so diverse, even from the beginning.

The only real periodisations i can see for Abrams’ music is in what seems to me to be his responses to / interests in wider fashions - to 60s-style high brow modernism in the Delmarks; to “the Tradition” in the Black Saints; and then perhaps in those later Pi records some of the reapprochment between jazz and modern composition / more academic styles that seems to be one of the overall developments of the last thirty years (again, possibly reflecting material circumstances more than anything else). But even then, there is nothing that direct.

Edited by Rabshakeh

22 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

No change. He was always everywhere.

Indeed. Had the great pleasure of seeing his rehearsal big band in New York over a fascinating weekend of open performances not too long before he passed. It was very open but also incredibly tight! Also saw him in duo with George Lewis, and solo. He seemed like an amazing person and my only regret is not having had the opportunity to sit down and interview him.