Charles Lloyd Columbia 45 (Beatles Cover)

JSngry

Beatles records weak spot is the extraneous repeat. Beach Boys uncontested champ in that particular battle of the bands, Brian a master at getting in, telling the story, and then getting out. Beatles damn near always lathered it up more than needed for a good shave.

And has anybody fade-ended more consistently delightfully than Brian? His yin to Alfred's/Rudy's yang. They would...seemingly give you another record just on the fades. Brian was, like, BYE! the record would be over before you heard it not playing.

But Charles Lloyd, why hasn't this turned up at least one other place than on this 45? The B-side has, albeit in a presumably unedited/less edited version, on Nirvana.

I realize that many of the regulars here will react in horror to jazz musicians playing today's "rock" music, but really, it is inevitable that this is happening.

I don't consider myself a fan of today's sounds, but whenever someone tries to tell me that today's music is all noise, I point to the Beatles as an example of a group that is doing some creative things.  As more and more jazz artists cover their songs, it will be refreshing to hear Beatles music delivered in the professional, refined, and genteel manner that we associate with jazz.  

I am surprised to see George Avakian's name on the label.

I remember Chris Albertson telling of the time he was told that if he ever did anything for RCA, he would never again work for Columbia.

This recording was made after Avakian's involvement with RCA.  Notwithstanding the fact that he was Lloyd's manager, I'm surprised that somebody (William Paley?) let him be involved, and let his name be put on the label.

6 hours ago, mikeweil said:

So why did the Mosaic reissue not include this track?

Nor its B-side.

Did any of those "Mosaic Singles" reissues contain any bonus cuts?  Don't think any of the ones I picked up do. 

4 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Yes, Art Farmer's The Time And The Place had a whole extra session. 

More accurately(?), wasn’t the Mosaic Single of this actually an entirely unreleased live date? — my memory is that the original album (which I’ve never heard) was actually a studio simulation of a live album, or something like that.

Iirc, wasn’t there zero overlap between the original album, and the Mosaic Single release of what the original album purported to be?

(I’ll have to dig out my copy of the Mosaic version, and see what the liners say — I recall it all being explained there.)

16 hours ago, mikeweil said:

So why did the Mosaic reissue not include this track?

Nor its B-side.

The B-Side made it on to Nirvana, which has a few tunes that allegedly have Robbie Robertson playing. I am going to need some more convincing about that, but with John Simon producing, that's possible, I guess.

But this A-Side supposedly comes form the same session as the B-Side, so that would be Szabo, Carter, & Tony.

The Lord disco lists them as from the session that was reissued as a Mosaic Single. 

---------------------------------------

Charles Lloyd (ts,fl) Gabor Szabo (g) Ron Carter (b) Tony Williams (d)

New York, March 8, 1965

Of course, of course    Columbia CL2412

Voice in the night        -

Third floor Richard        -

Apex (gs out)        -

One for Joan        -

She's a woman (*)         4-43290

You know (*)        -       ,   CS9609

Note: Columbia CL2412(mono) = CS9212(stereo).
All titles from Columbia CL2412 also on CBS (Jap)SONP-50351.
All titles, except (*), also on Mosaic MCD-1006 [CD] titled "Charles Lloyd - Of Course, Of Course"; see May 8 & October 15, 1965 for rest of CD; Mosaic incorrectly lists recording date for this session as March 8, 1964.

Charles Lloyd (ts,fl) Gabor Szabo (g) Ron Carter (b) Tony Williams (d)

New York, May 8, 1965

The song my lady sings    Columbia CL2412

The best thing for you        -

The things we did last summer (rc,tw out)        -

Goin' to Memphis        -

East of the sun   Columbia CS9609

Note: Columbia CS9609 titled "Nirvana".
Columbia CL2412(mono) = Columbia CS9212(stereo).
All titles from Columbia CL2412 also on CBS (Jap)SONP-50351.
All above titles also on Mosaic MCD-1006 [CD].

Nirvana : Charles Lloyd Quintet : Charles Lloyd (ts) Gabor Szabo (g) Robbie Robertson (g-1) Albert Stinson (b) Pete LaRoca (d)

New York, October 15, 1965

Island blues (*)   Columbia CS9609

Carcara        -

Long time baby        -

Love theme from "In harm's way"        -

Sun dance (1,*)        -

Note: For 4 more titles from Columbia CS9609 see May 8, 1964 & March 8, 1965 and Chico Hamilton, February 19, 1962.
(*) These 2 titles also on Mosaic MCD-1006 [CD].

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Several Mosaic Singles CDs icluded bonus tracks belonging to the sessions involved, that's what puzzles me. The Farmer and the Ellington Newpott 1958 were special as the kind of re-configured the whole album with unissued material.

But maybe they found new information on the Lloyd sessions - see the notes to the sessions quoted from Lord.

Or they overlooked the single, or Cuscuna didn't like it ..... many possibilities. Even Mosaic may miss a track.

Edited by mikeweil

Nirvana has all the earmarks of a record that never got completed. Had to be padded out with a few already-released Chico Hamilton cuts. But it's also kind of a lame-ish, overtly commercial set as well, so...I wonder what the inside skinny is there, because Avakian pretty soon got Lloyd out of Columbia.

and I remain not-fully-convinced about Robbie Robertson. Maybe?

On 6/1/2021 at 0:53 PM, JSngry said:

Nirvana has all the earmarks of a record that never got completed. Had to be padded out with a few already-released Chico Hamilton cuts. But it's also kind of a lame-ish, overtly commercial set as well, so...I wonder what the inside skinny is there, because Avakian pretty soon got Lloyd out of Columbia.

and I remain not-fully-convinced about Robbie Robertson. Maybe?

I've heard the Mosaic, sounded like Robertson to me IIRC.  And I think it's been confirmed elsewhere.  Danko and Helm are on an early Lenny Breau session and Hudson's liking of various sorts of jazz is well-known, so doesn't seem all that unlikely to me.  Nor from the other side either.

3 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

I've heard the Mosaic, sounded like Robertson to me IIRC.  And I think it's been confirmed elsewhere.  Danko and Helm are on an early Lenny Breau session and Hudson's liking of various sorts of jazz is well-known, so doesn't seem all that unlikely to me.  Nor from the other side either.

And Robertson collaborated with Gil Evans on The Color of Money soundtrack.  Even used a left over orchestra riff on one of his own songs (twice). 

Ok, screw it, I'm buying this thing. the S&H is more than the record, but it's still about the same as a generously gluttonous "by the pound" salad from what was the work cafeteria, when we worked in the office (apparently garbanzo beans are some heavy fuckers, who knew?), which we will do again, dammit, I'd rather have a Charles Lloyd 45, my wife can make me the same salad for a lot less than that, as could I except that I'm lazy when it comes to things like that. She loves it, and, by the same token, will probably hate this 45, so, symbiosis, right?