Jeanne Lee - Conspiracy reissue, at last

mjazzg

7 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Reissue imminent, claiming to be official  Vinyl and digital only (cue usual outrage)

https://moved-by-sound.bandcamp.com/album/conspiracy-2 

Such a great album. I have an original but have pre-ordered one of these too 

Would love to hear it, but will have to pass without a CD release.  

5 hours ago, Pim said:

Jeanne was special :wub:

Yep, currently listening to the recent (2018) Jeanne/Ran twofer on a-side records - "The Newest Sound You Never Heard - European Recordings 1966/1967"

stunning work, so ahead of its time - highly, highly recommended IMHO

3 hours ago, romualdo said:

Yep, currently listening to the recent (2018) Jeanne/Ran twofer on a-side records - "The Newest Sound You Never Heard - European Recordings 1966/1967"

stunning work, so ahead of its time - highly, highly recommended IMHO

The a-side 2-fer is great.

There was a reissue of this album a couple of years back, but that was labelled "unofficial" by Discogs.

Can we be sure that this new release is not a bootleg? I don't know the label (apparently it's their first release).  The bandcamp page doesn't dispel all my doubts.

"An independent label reissuing music that is important but out of print. artists that should be heard more and remunerated.
 All the artist (or there families) retain all copyright & publishing ownership, and the royalties/benefits from there compositions. The label only profits from its share of selling LPs
" (sic)

Edited by corto maltese

46 minutes ago, corto maltese said:

There was a reissue of this album a couple of years back, but that was labelled "unofficial" by Discogs.

Can we be sure that this new release is not a bootleg? I don't know the label (apparently it's their first release).  The bandcamp page doesn't dispel all my doubts.

"An independent label reissuing music that is important but out of print. artists that should be heard more and remunerated.
 All the artist (or there families) retain all copyright & publishing ownership, and the royalties/benefits from there compositions. The label only profits from its share of selling LPs
" (sic)

Yeah, I'm not convinced. It's all too easy to write whatever you need to appear bona fides.

When discussion of reissuing this title has come up previously on this board I remember someone, possibly Clifford Thornton, saying the family were against it asking too much $ to do it 

Really not sure how it can be checked shirt of knowing contact details for the family.

1 hour ago, djcavanagh said:

Bandcamp page has it as copyright Gunter Hampel, which would suggest to me it was legit. 

Edit to say the full digital album has now been made available. 

interesting. I guess they were partners when the record came out so he could license it...

for what it's worth the original pressing came out on Mait Edey's SEEDS label. As that imprint was going out of business, Jeanne picked it up and issued it on her Earthforms label nearly concurrently. 

6 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

interesting. I guess they were partners when the record came out so he could license it...

for what it's worth the original pressing came out on Mait Edey's SEEDS label. As that imprint was going out of business, Jeanne picked it up and issued it on her Earthforms label nearly concurrently. 

What else was on this label?

18 hours ago, djcavanagh said:

Bandcamp page has it as copyright Gunter Hampel, which would suggest to me it was legit. 

Edit to say the full digital album has now been made available. 

I sincerely want to believe it's legit (through the Hampel connection). It's just that they overemphasise this a bit on all channels without giving much concrete information. For example, they put the following post on their webpage: "What an important task you undertake reissuing such seminal recordings AND with the ethicality of benefiting performers and protecting their moral and artistic (and financial) rights. Thanks guys/gals and look forward to your future releases." Sounds a bit artificial, doesn't it?

It could just be my suspicious mind, but some more info about the source would be welcome.

16 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

It seems that this new release will be a reissue of the Earthforms (second) pressing, which has a cover design that's slightly different from the original.

right, yeah I see what you are saying. It's a little weird.

Edey gave the tapes back to Lee, as I understand it, once Seeds folded. It makes sense that they are following the Earthforms artwork/etc. The presence of the plants on the cover denotes a Seeds release (they all have some variation of it). It's weird to me that Gunter never reissued it himself if he ostensibly has "rights." But go figure...

On 6/5/2021 at 7:47 AM, corto maltese said:

It seems that this new release will be a reissue of the Earthforms (second) pressing, which has a cover design that's slightly different from the original.

You're right. Here's the SEEDS cover:
R-12586356-1550420236-2963.jpeg.jpg

And the Earthforms cover:

R-687632-1366085864-3638.jpeg.jpg

On 6/5/2021 at 9:55 PM, bertrand said:

What else was on this label?

SEEDS on Discogs.

bought sealed original Natural Food and Birigwa from Mait via Luke (Porter) way back (IMO they are excellent), and picked up Wellstood and Frishberg later. I think the stuff is, as you say, a cool little capsule and an interesting scene. Edey seemed like an interesting character and I wish I had had the opportunity to meet him. 

my copy of Jeanne is an Earthforms pressing that I also got sealed. 

1 hour ago, colinmce said:

Strange little catalogue, with the 2 mainstream titles in there. You can get the Birigwa and Natural Food albums on CD from Porter still. Both are interesting in a time capsule sense I guess, but neither did much for me. ymmv.

I was relatively disappointed in both, though they are indeed "interesting time capsules".  

I haven't heard the Birigwa records, but I noticed that they have Stan Strickland on them. He plays some excellent tenor on this Marty Ehrlich record:

R-3260228-1322780752.jpeg.jpg

I go hot and cold on Ehrlich records, but this one is worth seeking out. Excellent playing all around.

• 1 year later...
On 6/1/2021 at 1:00 AM, ghost of miles said:

Would love to hear it, but will have to pass without a CD release.  

Apparently this one gets a cd release as well now:

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/131619/Jeanne-Lee:Conspiracy?cat=jazz&incl_cs=1&no_incl_in=1&sort_order=release_date

And so does Sirone's Artistry:

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/131620/Sirone:Artistry?cat=jazz&incl_cs=1&no_incl_in=1&sort_order=release_date