BFT 207 - Link & Discussion

Dub Modal

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Track 2. "Get Happy"(?). Powell influenced piano. Elmo Hope? 1950s recording.

Track 5. Harry Carney, so I guess it's Ellington.

Track 6. "How Deep Is the Ocean?"

Track 11. Ben Webster-influenced tenor, but not Ben.

Track 12. Dig that crazy bop! Recorded 1947 or thereabouts. Both tenor and bari sound familiar, but can't put a name to them.

3 minutes ago, BillF said:

Track 2. "Get Happy"(?). Powell influenced piano. Elmo Hope? 1950s recording. Correct artist, but not "Get Happy" 

Track 5. Harry Carney, so I guess it's Ellington. Yes on both. 

Track 6. "How Deep Is the Ocean?" Correct song. 

Track 11. Ben Webster-influenced tenor, but not Ben. Yep, it's not Webster. 

Track 12. Dig that crazy bop! Recorded 1947 or thereabouts. Both tenor and bari sound familiar, but can't put a name to them. I love this song. Someone from this group will get this. 

Alrighty, getting in early, again!  Must be close to the end of the year.  Listening at work, so some of this is suspect, to say the least.

Track 01 - Opening line had a Charlie Rouse sound to it.  Definitely not Charlie.  Definitely feels like these musicians are not on the same page.  It wants to work, but doesn’t quite blend.  

Track 02 - Quite a shift there.  That melody line reminds me of something from childhood… like a Shel Silverstein kind of thing.  Clearly a pianist with chops, but there’s nothing crying out a name to me.  “Do you remember, Grandma’s lye soap…”  That’s what I’m hearing.

Track 03 - Thought this was going to be Tennessee Waltz from the intro.  I know not what this is.  Almost feels like a reggae take on I Shall Be Released.  

Track 04 - This is from Raw Materials and Residuals.  Track 3 on the vinyl from this.

Track 05 - Obviously Harry Carney.  Doesn’t sound like Duke’s piano to me.  Seems like one of the later Ellington bands (that don’t get enough due simply because the bands ahead of them were SO great).  No question it’s the band — those bones.  Okay, there’s the piano, it IS duke.  Man, Carney could get down there!  

Track 06 - That’s Clifford Jordan.  How Deep Is The Ocean.  Not sure who the band is.  Sounds like Vernell Fournier on drums.  *SO* glad I got the chance to see Clifford.  Man gets  no due love and should get damned near ALL of it.   Okay, that’s Cedar Walton, so this is older.  Gah!  Of course.  It’s from this.

Track 07 - Without a doubt, that’s Arthur Blythe.  I have this, but can’t pin it, yet.  That bass!  Gotta be Cecil.  I think it’s The Leaders, but can’t recall which album.    I think Unforeseen Blessings is the only on I still have, and it’s not that.

Track 08 - Sounds like the coolest Chinese restaurant ever!  At first I was thinking Tomaz Stanko… then Dennis Gonzalez.  I’m now convinced it’s neither.  Not my favorite of the genre, but I do like it.  It seems to be going for intentionally odd, but mostly pulling it off.  

Track 09 - Feels like it owes a nod to Horace, but not him.  This band sounds like it’s several people, but I don’t think it’s any of them.  I was prepared to say Lex Humphries on drums, but it doesn’t quite glide over the rhythm like he does.  This cooks like hell, though.  I don’t know who it is, but I want more.

Track 10 - Needle drop.  Feels Cuban to me.  I’m finding myself putting more and more of thsi sort of thing in my collection.  Song is very familiar, but that may just be the nature of the beast.  Really like the arrangement here — clarinet super-imposed on low brass.  Just works.  

Track 11 - Feel like I should know the song, but I don’t.  I know that tenor… fooled me several times.  I can hear the bands, but it’s not an Ellington guy.  A survivor, though, and a for-real guy.  Ah!  Frank Wess, please.  How do I not know this?  Man… the way only a survivor can play.  I need this.

Track 12 - Filthy baritone!  Man, that’s fast.  Usually, stuff at this tempo rubs me the wrong way, but this is friggin’ HOT!  Tenor sounds vaguely familiar… eary Jaws, maybe?

Track 13 - I feel like I’m wrong, but… nope.  That’s Charles McPherson, but I don’t have this.  Man that dude can pay.  Was just listening to Siku Ya Bibi the other day.  This is after that, by a fair measure, but no question it’s Charles.  I don’t have this, but I need it.

Track 14 - Man, I was prepared to say Dennis Gonzalez, but then it got too pretty.  Got that ECM sound, so any guesses are going to be dictated by that.  Maybe Abercrombie.   It’s not Dennis, but I don’t know who this trumpet is.  This is really nice, though.  Love that bass line.  

Track 15 - That pianist sounds familiar.  Those horns do not (at least not as a unit).  Seems crazy, but that sure as hell sounds like Gilmore on tenor.  Could this be Sun Ra?  Almost has to be, doesn’t it?  Every time I think I have my quota of Sun Ra, I hear something like this and realize I need more.

25 minutes ago, tkeith said:

Alrighty, getting in early, again!  Must be close to the end of the year.  Listening at work, so some of this is suspect, to say the least.

Track 01 - Opening line had a Charlie Rouse sound to it.  Definitely not Charlie.  Definitely feels like these musicians are not on the same page.  It wants to work, but doesn’t quite blend.  

Track 02 - Quite a shift there.  That melody line reminds me of something from childhood… like a Shel Silverstein kind of thing.  Clearly a pianist with chops, but there’s nothing crying out a name to me.  “Do you remember, Grandma’s lye soap…”  That’s what I’m hearing. @BillF got the artist but not the song...

Track 03 - Thought this was going to be Tennessee Waltz from the intro.  I know not what this is.  Almost feels like a reggae take on I Shall Be Released.  Shades of that...

Track 04 - This is from Raw Materials and Residuals.  Track 3 on the vinyl from thisIndeed. 

Track 05 - Obviously Harry Carney.  Doesn’t sound like Duke’s piano to me.  Seems like one of the later Ellington bands (that don’t get enough due simply because the bands ahead of them were SO great).  No question it’s the band — those bones.  Okay, there’s the piano, it IS duke.  Man, Carney could get down there!  This track blows me away whenever I give it a listen. I had to include it. And yep, it's Carney with Duke. Probably an unexpected album to pull this from... 

Track 06 - That’s Clifford Jordan.  How Deep Is The Ocean.  Not sure who the band is.  Sounds like Vernell Fournier on drums.  *SO* glad I got the chance to see Clifford.  Man gets  no due love and should get damned near ALL of it.   Okay, that’s Cedar Walton, so this is older.  Gah!  Of course.  It’s from this. Bingo! I love Clifford and had to include him, even knowing yall would be able to pick him out. 

Track 07 - Without a doubt, that’s Arthur Blythe.  I have this, but can’t pin it, yet.  That bass!  Gotta be Cecil.  I think it’s The Leaders, but can’t recall which album.    I think Unforeseen Blessings is the only on I still have, and it’s not that. Yes, it's the Leaders but you're correct, it's a different album. 

Track 08 - Sounds like the coolest Chinese restaurant ever!  At first I was thinking Tomaz Stanko… then Dennis Gonzalez.  I’m now convinced it’s neither.  Not my favorite of the genre, but I do like it.  It seems to be going for intentionally odd, but mostly pulling it off.  This leader's recordings are new for me, but I've enjoyed every one of them. 

Track 09 - Feels like it owes a nod to Horace, but not him.  This band sounds like it’s several people, but I don’t think it’s any of them.  I was prepared to say Lex Humphries on drums, but it doesn’t quite glide over the rhythm like he does.  This cooks like hell, though.  I don’t know who it is, but I want more. Not Horace or Lex, but indeed it cooks!

Track 10 - Needle drop.  Feels Cuban to me.  I’m finding myself putting more and more of thsi sort of thing in my collection.  Song is very familiar, but that may just be the nature of the beast.  Really like the arrangement here — clarinet super-imposed on low brass.  Just works.  Glad you enjoyed this. It's not Cuban, but the percussion shares that African influence. Like you, I love the clarinet over the brass. I was hooked from the first time I heard this. 

Track 11 - Feel like I should know the song, but I don’t.  I know that tenor… fooled me several times.  I can hear the bands, but it’s not an Ellington guy.  A survivor, though, and a for-real guy.  Ah!  Frank Wess, please.  How do I not know this?  Man… the way only a survivor can play.  I need this. Oh yeah, it's Wess. 

Track 12 - Filthy baritone!  Man, that’s fast.  Usually, stuff at this tempo rubs me the wrong way, but this is friggin’ HOT!  Tenor sounds vaguely familiar… eary Jaws, maybe? Not Jaws. Glad you liked this one. 

Track 13 - I feel like I’m wrong, but… nope.  That’s Charles McPherson, but I don’t have this.  Man that dude can pay.  Was just listening to Siku Ya Bibi the other day.  This is after that, by a fair measure, but no question it’s Charles.  I don’t have this, but I need it. Yep, it's McPherson and I think this is a lesser known date of his...

Track 14 - Man, I was prepared to say Dennis Gonzalez, but then it got too pretty.  Got that ECM sound, so any guesses are going to be dictated by that.  Maybe Abercrombie.   It’s not Dennis, but I don’t know who this trumpet is.  This is really nice, though.  Love that bass line.  This is ECM. Not Dennis, but Abercrombie is playing here. 

Track 15 - That pianist sounds familiar.  Those horns do not (at least not as a unit).  Seems crazy, but that sure as hell sounds like Gilmore on tenor.  Could this be Sun Ra?  Almost has to be, doesn’t it?  Every time I think I have my quota of Sun Ra, I hear something like this and realize I need more. Oh man, I love that you picked this by hearing Gilmore. Yep, it's Sun Ra. And I wanted to include it because it's so unique in his catalog. 

Edited by Dub Modal

Very enjoyable, seemed like a bunch of things I should know but don't until now.

1.  Brawny tenor, Latin percussion and electric bass.  Gato Barbieri is usually more outgoing than this, but I haven't got a better guess.
2.  Grooving mainstream piano.  Sonny Clark or Bud Powell.
3.  Reggae tinge and lyric mentioning the West Indes.  Reggae does not usually sound this jazzy, so perhaps calypso.  (wild guess) Mighty Sparrow?
4.  Freebop! Julius Hemphill? or maybe Tim Berne?
5.  There's something familiar and Dukish about that coda.  and the whole thing.  Duke Ellington.
6.  Has a Blue Note feel.  Hank Mobley?
7.  Nice alto feature.  I'm guessing the spoken theater bits in the middle relate to the lyric of the standard that I'm not recognizing.  Just based on the recorded sound, I'm believing this is a 90s or later recording, so I'l venture Donald Harrison.
8.  Strongly reminiscent of Terje Rypdal.  But I don't know any Rypdal dates with enough horns to pull off the intro.  I started thinking this was Henry Threadgill with Brandon Ross on guitar, but I've swung back to Rypdal.
9.  Could be a later Chick Corea acoustic trio.
10. Latin.  I don't have enough knowledge to guess.
11. Feels a bit too brawny in tone in some places to be Stan Getz, but it fits stylistically, and I'm not finding any other guesses I like, so Stan.
12. Wonderfully frantic big band tune, big booting baritone at the beginning.  Slide Hampton?
13. I used to say that if it's an alto and sounds like a tenor, it's Jackie McLean.  Here I think of Jackie because I really can't tell, the nasal tone and ease with whick it goes into the upper register suggest alto to me, but nowhere near conclusively.  The Jackie I'm most familiar doesn't have a guitar, so go ahead and tell me it's a tenor.
14. Could be somethjing on ECM, or Cuong Vu with Pat Metheny.
15. Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath?

(after reading other posts)

Enrico Rava on 14?

1 minute ago, randyhersom said:

Very enjoyable, seemed like a bunch of things I should know but don't until now.

1.  Brawny tenor, Latin percussion and electric bass.  Gato Barbieri is usually more outgoing than this, but I haven't got a better guess. No Gato; and actually not Latin percussion. That percussion section here is very unique (at least to my knowledge) and is a direct connection to West Africa but it's not African (hint, here). 
2.  Grooving mainstream piano.  Sonny Clark or Bud Powell. Correctly guessed as Elmo Hope earlier, but the song remains elusive. 
3.  Reggae tinge and lyric mentioning the West Indes.  Reggae does not usually sound this jazzy, so perhaps calypso.  (wild guess) Mighty Sparrow? Not calypso or Sparrow, but a very unique artist nonetheless. Usually a love/hate thing with listeners. 
4.  Freebop! Julius Hemphill? or maybe Tim Berne? It's Hemphill! @tkeith got the artist/song/album
5.  There's something familiar and Dukish about that coda.  and the whole thing.  Duke Ellington. It's Duke for sure. Soloist also identified, but song/album have not yet been. 
6.  Has a Blue Note feel.  Hank Mobley? I love some Hank, but this isn't him. Not a Blue Note either. @tkeith got this all correct above. 
7.  Nice alto feature.  I'm guessing the spoken theater bits in the middle relate to the lyric of the standard that I'm not recognizing.  Just based on the recorded sound, I'm believing this is a 90s or later recording, so I'l venture Donald Harrison. Artist/band guessed, but not the specific song or album just yet. 
8.  Strongly reminiscent of Terje Rypdal.  But I don't know any Rypdal dates with enough horns to pull off the intro.  I started thinking this was Henry Threadgill with Brandon Ross on guitar, but I've swung back to Rypdal. Rypdal on guitar but it's not his leader date. 
9.  Could be a later Chick Corea acoustic trio. Nyet on the Chick, comrade. 
10. Latin.  I don't have enough knowledge to guess.
11. Feels a bit too brawny in tone in some places to be Stan Getz, but it fits stylistically, and I'm not finding any other guesses I like, so Stan. Tenor correctly identified as Frank Wess, but song/album not yet ID'd. 
12. Wonderfully frantic big band tune, big booting baritone at the beginning.  Slide Hampton? Not Slide. Glad folks are enjoying this one as I do. 
13. I used to say that if it's an alto and sounds like a tenor, it's Jackie McLean.  Here I think of Jackie because I really can't tell, the nasal tone and ease with whick it goes into the upper register suggest alto to me, but nowhere near conclusively.  The Jackie I'm most familiar doesn't have a guitar, so go ahead and tell me it's a tenor. It's an alto! But not McLean. Again, @tkeith got McPherson but album/song unnamed. 
14. Could be somethjing on ECM, or Cuong Vu with Pat Metheny. It's ECM but not Metheny or Vu. Guitarist correctly named as Abercrombie. 
15. Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath? Neither. Sun Ra & John Gilmore correctly guessed above, but song and album not just yet. 

Glad you enjoyed it and I dig that you caught that reference to the West Indies in track 3. I gave another slight hint in my response to TKeith on who this was as well. 

Having a cursory run through, I hear "I Want To Be Happy" on #2, Julius Hemphill on #4, Dukica con Carney ("Chromatic Love Affair"?) on #5, How Depp Is Clifford Joradn (VERY!) on #6, Arthur Blythe on # 7, something reminiscent of "Tempis Fugit" but not that on #9,  Cumbia of unknown origin on # 10, wonderfully Hodges-ian tenor onan equally wonderful tune on #11, Illinois Jacquet (w/Leo Parker & JJ on RCA?) on #12, Charles McPherson (again a beautiful tune, is it a bolero in origin?) on #13, maybe Kenny Wheeler on #14, and...15, no idea, because what I think I might be hearing shouldn't really be by who I think it is?

What I have no clue about, I liked. Good comp! The month is new, hope to have opportunity to get more in-depth soon!

6 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Having a cursory run through, I hear "I Want To Be Happy" on #2, Julius Hemphill on #4, Dukica con Carney ("Chromatic Love Affair"?) on #5, How Depp Is Clifford Joradn (VERY!) on #6, Arthur Blythe on # 7, something reminiscent of "Tempis Fugit" but not that on #9,  Cumbia of unknown origin on # 10, wonderfully Hodges-ian tenor onan equally wonderful tune on #11, Illinois Jacquet (w/Leo Parker & JJ on RCA?) on #12, Charles McPherson (again a beautiful tune, is it a bolero in origin?) on #13, maybe Kenny Wheeler on #14, and...15, no idea, because what I think I might be hearing shouldn't really be by who I think it is?

What I have no clue about, I liked. Good comp! The month is new, hope to have opportunity to get more in-depth soon!

Strike on #s 2 & 14 but 100% correct on #s 5, 6 & 7.

And holy sheet - nice work on getting Cumbia style for #10 and I knew someone would get #12! Correct on all - Jacquet, Parker & JJ. 

#13 is McPherson, but I'm not sure if it's a bolero tune or not...

Probably should trust your gut on 15...

Don't know what the head is on #2, but the changes are "I Want To Be Happy".

Cumbia...when I first got exposed to "salsa", I jumped at the change to take a house band gig at a club that catered to the "mojado" population, which in Dallas at the time was just exploding. White Naivete strikes (again) because cumbia was ALL that crowd wanted to hear (well, some boleros and the occasional rancheras), but mostly Cumbia. And at first, that shit seemed corny to me. But it crew on me, especially once I heard real Columbian Cumbia. Sourcing makes a difference!

#12, btw, if you're not yet there, you will be - some labels had a very distinct sound of their records, RCA definitely being one of them.

I peeked, and holy shit, Ra/Gilmore on #15! And no bass? So, a Horo record, or something else. I have New Steps but don't recall this one on it.

9 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Don't know what the head is on #2, but the changes are "I Want To Be Happy".

@BillF guessed that as well. I'm guessing Hope used those changes to build this tune...

Yeah, this cumbia track is the real deal. I thought the same as you when it came to Merengue...until I went to the Dominican. Wow. 

I'm definitely not to the point of being able to recognize different label's sounds, especially from this track's era. 

I *don't* think this is a Horo record. At least all listings online suggest it isn't. But definitely no bass player with those 2. 

3 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Sorry to be a scold...but "Get Happy" & "I Want to Be Happy" are different songs, different changes.

I know, I'm an asshole, and really, at this point in time, nobody really cares, nobody plays either of the, right? :g

Didn't know that - no worries on being scolded at all. Unless the CD I pulled this from is wrong, neither is the name of this tune...

8: Vesala & Stanko, but can't remember the album - um, "Satu"?

10: always love me some cumbia - I mean, why not get some "all-stars" to do it, right!

Los Sabañales!!!

14: This goes back some way... Enrico Rava - The Pilgrim and the Stars? Don't know the name of the cut tho.

15: Sky Blues with Sonny, but which album? I think it's on the singles collection - 
one of them, but this is a lot longer. Gotta give this some thought...

Wait! Disco 3000?

Edited by rostasi

43 minutes ago, rostasi said:

10: always love me some cumbia - I mean, why not get some "all-stars" to do it, right!

Los Sabañales!!!

15: Sky Blues with Sonny, but which album? I think it's on the singles collection - 
one of them, but this is a lot longer. Gotta give this some thought...

Wait! Disco 3000?

Yep, Disco 3000! Good job man. 

And the band on #10 isn't Los Sabanales, but there's a Disco Fuentes label connection. 

10 minutes ago, randyhersom said:

Edward Vesala, Palle Mikkelborg and Tomas Stanko are possible leaders for #8

Enrico Rava on 14?

One of those is definitely the leader on #8. 

And yep, Rava on #14!