Dub Modal

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, rostasi said:

Wow! OK, confusing, but I think, now it must be:

El carbonero Letra by El Combo Candela

which is a strange thing because I have both of their recordings.
I'll have to see what the mixup was (is?)...

but check this out: here's the YouTube video with El Combo Candela,
but the info under the video says that it's the Cumbia All-Stars.
So, anyway, it's gotta be either one of those, I guess (unless there's even a third one
that sounds like this - LOL!!!)

...and it is from El Ritmo es Correcto (which I had to discover - the hard way - LOL!)

Yeah, well, I'm gettin' an education here! Most of the versions of Los Sabañales
I'm hearing online are totally different - often done as a guaguanco.
That's what I get for trusting some misnamed download (and not knowing the language). Ha!

That's it! Nice work man! I don't know for sure, but I think the singers are "Combo Candela" and the band backing them is the Cumbia All Stars. I could be totally wrong about that though. But yep, it's from El Ritmo Es Correcto. My reasoning behind the singers/band separation is due to the back cover of that album: 

R-12255707-1531532568-8982.jpeg.jpg

14 minutes ago, randyhersom said:

Ahmad Jamal on 9?

No, but there's a connection. 

OK, thanks for that info. Of course, it had gone waaaay beyond the just guessing part,
because I had to find out what was up - and, so, I guess someone decided to put together
Cumbia All Stars collection and left out the Diaz Brothers in their collection.
How the title of the song got screwed, who knows?

Edited by rostasi

2 minutes ago, rostasi said:

OK, thanks for that info. Of course, it had gone waaaay beyond the just guessing part,
because I had to find out what was up - and, so, I guess someone decided to put together
Cumbia All Stars collection and left out the Diaz Brothers in their collection.
How the title of the song got screwed, who knows?

That said I bet that Cumbia All Stars comp you linked to is pretty good. 

Wikipedia Says of Ahmad Jamal: His Pittsburgh roots have remained an important part of his identity ("Pittsburgh meant everything to me and it still does," he said in 2001)[4] and it was there that he was immersed in the influence of jazz artists such as Earl Hines, Billy Strayhorn, Mary Lou Williams, and Erroll Garner. Jamal also studied with pianist James Miller and began playing piano professionally at the age of fourteen,[5] at which point he was recognized as a "coming great" by the pianist Art Tatum.

Of those names I think Garner and Strayhorn fit the dramatic elements within #9 best.  Not aware of Strayhorn doing a live album with a trio.

Of course the connection could be sidemen and not influence.

22 minutes ago, randyhersom said:

Wikipedia Says of Ahmad Jamal: His Pittsburgh roots have remained an important part of his identity ("Pittsburgh meant everything to me and it still does," he said in 2001)[4] and it was there that he was immersed in the influence of jazz artists such as Earl Hines, Billy Strayhorn, Mary Lou Williams, and Erroll Garner. Jamal also studied with pianist James Miller and began playing piano professionally at the age of fourteen,[5] at which point he was recognized as a "coming great" by the pianist Art Tatum.

Of those names I think Garner and Strayhorn fit the dramatic elements within #9 best.  Not aware of Strayhorn doing a live album with a trio.

Of course the connection could be sidemen and not influence.

Love the sleuthing! But no, it's not Strayhorn or Garner...:ph34r:

#9 - crisp drums like Roy Haynes, but the time is not like Roys, more like Max. But Jamal connection? Vernell Fournier...but that's not Shearing?

Found the Elmo cut - L.S.M.F.T indeed.

And my apologies...thos changes are "Strike Up the Band", which would explain the title. I am failing...a few years ago this would have been a no-brainer...

13 minutes ago, JSngry said:

#9 - crisp drums like Roy Haynes, but the time is not like Roys, more like Max. But Jamal connection? Vernell Fournier...but that's not Shearing?

Found the Elmo cut - L.S.M.F.T indeed.

Help me out with LSMFT...the song title's initials are there in that acronym but not sure of the others...

For #9: No Shearing or Fournier involved. No Max Roach either. 

Summary update: 

Identified 100% - Songs 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 14 & 15

Partially ID'd: 

#7 - Song & album unnamed, band ID'd 

#11 - Song & album unnamed, Tenor player is Frank Wess

#12 - Just need the song title as everything else is pretty much ID'd

#13 - Song & album unnamed, Charles McPherson on alto

Unidentified - Songs 3 & 9

If @Hot Ptah weighs in, I'm betting he can get #3 with no problem. 

I'm going to remain with the hints I've given so far for #9 at the moment. It's only June 3rd so plenty of time for more listening/guesses. 

Love reading the takes so far. Appreciate yall giving an ear and time for commentary.  

1. No idea. But I like this a lot. This is really my kind of thing. Has a spiritual and African kind of feeling. This might end up on my wishlist as I have heard more of it.

2. Sounds like someone influenced by Bud Powel... oh yeah it's Hope, Elmo Hope! I love that guy. It's Lucky Strike from the trio album Meditations. Hope really is one of my favorite piano players.

3. No idea. Reggae meets gospel? Not bad but not really my kind of thing.

4. Ornette influenced player. I hear a cello so that must be Abdul Wadud and than the alto player must be Julius Hemphill? Lovely stuff. I just dug recently into his stuff so no idea bout album/composition.

5. Lovely baritone. Big Band arrangements. Duke? Harry Carney?

6. How Deep is the Ocean. Can't recognize the tenor player. Overall nice playing. Nothing exceptional.

7. Nice vibrato on that alto. Nice twist also into free playing. Might be Arthur Blythe?

8. No idea! Really, just no idea. Maybe the guitar player is somebody from the European scene? Terje Rypdal? Not my kind of thing.

9. Ahmad? Or somebody infleunced by Ahmad? Lots of space....

10. That's South America I am hearing. Something Peruvian or Bolivian? I am back in Cuzco again. I like traditional music a lot, thanks for this!

11. Don't know who that is. Sounds like someone with a lot of aaaaaaaiirrrrr. It's not Ben Webster, something more modern. Background music to me.

12. Oh yeah that must be the '40's. So the Baritone player might be Leo Parker? Can't recognize the trombonist. The tenor player is somebody influenced by Bean but it's not him. R&B player. Illinois?

13. No idea.

14. Something on ECM. Definitely not Tomasz Stanko. Kenny Wheeler?

15. I don't who this is but I like it a lot. Blues playing 2.0. Interested in the reveal!

Thanks for a very diverse BFT with lot's of stuff that I like. Hemphill, Hope... you are a man of great taste :)

4 hours ago, Pim said:

Most of the tracks have been identified by other listeners at this point, some only partial and two (3 & 9) which remain unidentified. I'm not going to reveal them in my comments to you just in case you want to wait for the reveal, however if you do want to know some of them please see the other comments...

1. No idea. But I like this a lot. This is really my kind of thing. Has a spiritual and African kind of feeling. This might end up on my wishlist as I have heard more of it. Glad youlike it! This is obviously not from the US, and while it's not technically African, the drumming is; and it's definitely spiritual. 

2. Sounds like someone influenced by Bud Powel... oh yeah it's Hope, Elmo Hope! I love that guy. It's Lucky Strike from the trio album Meditations. Hope really is one of my favorite piano players. You got it! I know Waldron is your favorite, but I'm pretty sure Hope didn't make any bad albums. Always love his playing. 

3. No idea. Reggae meets gospel? Not bad but not really my kind of thing. This is certainly different even in the genre of reggae. The singer expresses such aching emotion with the backup singers countering that mood. That juxtaposition really works for me. 

4. Ornette influenced player. I hear a cello so that must be Abdul Wadud and than the alto player must be Julius Hemphill? Lovely stuff. I just dug recently into his stuff so no idea bout album/composition. Yep, you got 2 of the players. This album has been named earlier and it's fantastic. Lots to explore with Hemphill for sure. 

5. Lovely baritone. Big Band arrangements. Duke? Harry Carney? Indeed. Carney is a master. 

6. How Deep is the Ocean. Can't recognize the tenor player. Overall nice playing. Nothing exceptional. Yes on the song. This is a tenor I've come to really enjoy. 

7. Nice vibrato on that alto. Nice twist also into free playing. Might be Arthur Blythe? Yes on Blythe. And after that free playing comes some deep blues. 

8. No idea! Really, just no idea. Maybe the guitar player is somebody from the European scene? Terje Rypdal? Not my kind of thing. It's indeed Rypdal on guitar but not his leader date. 

9. Ahmad? Or somebody infleunced by Ahmad? Lots of space.... This one remains completely unidentified at the moment. Not Ahmad but there's a connection. 

10. That's South America I am hearing. Something Peruvian or Bolivian? I am back in Cuzco again. I like traditional music a lot, thanks for this! Very welcome and glad you liked it. It's Colombian Cumbia and I love it as well. 

11. Don't know who that is. Sounds like someone with a lot of aaaaaaaiirrrrr. It's not Ben Webster, something more modern. Background music to me. Oh man, this type of ballad playing is always up my alley. Not Webster but one of his contemporaries at a later recording date. 

12. Oh yeah that must be the '40's. So the Baritone player might be Leo Parker? Can't recognize the trombonist. The tenor player is somebody influenced by Bean but it's not him. R&B player. Illinois? Yes on Jacquet & Parker. Trombone is JJ. 

13. No idea. So far the alto has been ID'd but not the song nor album. 

14. Something on ECM. Definitely not Tomasz Stanko. Kenny Wheeler?  Yes to ECM. Not Kenny but Rava. The control is amazing. 

15. I don't who this is but I like it a lot. Blues playing 2.0. Interested in the reveal! Oh yeah, this is not something that really matches the rest of this artist's output and I'm glad to hear you like it. I really dig it as well. 

Thanks for a very diverse BFT with lot's of stuff that I like. Hemphill, Hope... you are a man of great taste :) I appreciate that! And glad you enjoyed it. I was going for diversity in styles, tempo and artists but also hoping that it had some sense of flow for the listener. Thanks for your comments! 

• 2 weeks later...

All right, well - midway through June so here's an update on the two completely unidentified tracks so far: 

Track 3 - Not particularly enjoyed by many here. Unique singer who self produced much of his output via his income as a dentist. 

Track 9 - This one seems to be one of the more popular tracks among this selection. Incorrect guesses so far on who the pianist is include: Ahmad Jamal, Ramsey Lewis, Errol Garner, Billy Strayhorn, Hampton Hawes, Chick Corea,  & Eldar Djangirov. Drummer guessed as Roy Haynes and that is incorrect as well. The drummer has a connection to Haynes however.