BFT 207 - Link & Discussion

Dub Modal

12 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

:tup

You got it. I have a needle drop of "a" pressing of this album. 

The original album from 1974 was called: "The Black Breast Has Produced Her Best, Flesh Of My Skin Blood Of My Blood". On later issues (which have completely different covers) the first part of that spectacular title has been omitted.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Track 9...Drummer guessed as Roy Haynes and that is incorrect as well. The drummer has a connection to Haynes however. 

Grasping at straws here...fellow Bostonian Alan Dawson? Tony Williams?

or not that type of connection?

2 minutes ago, corto maltese said:

The original album from 1974 was called: "The Black Breast Has Produced Her Best, Flesh Of My Skin Blood Of My Blood". On later issues (which have completely different covers) the first part of that spectacular title has been omitted.

Spectacular indeed!

28 minutes ago, corto maltese said:

I'd always assumed that Hudson's estate prevented the use of the original title and perhaps the original cover art too. It's an awesome album that unfolded very slowly for me. 

Edit to add: Love that I Shall Be Released is on this album. One could do an entire BFT of Jamaican versions of that song. It's like a reggae standard pretty much. 

26 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Grasping at straws here...fellow Bostonian Alan Dawson? Tony Williams?

or not that type of connection?

Geography is important, but neither of those and dare I say no Boston connection. And this drummer appears elsewhere in this very same BFT, albeit in a track that's only been partially ID'd. :ph34r:

Edited by Dub Modal

1 hour ago, corto maltese said:

It's the 4th song on side 1 of this album. If you own an original pressing, you are a rich man.:)

Oh, I should've recognized this voice.
I didn't get introduced to Keith Hudson
until 1976 - and the introduction was thru
an album that really wasn't very good
("Too Expensive"), but after resisting,
I became re-introduced to him and learned
to quite enjoy him. Good to hear this! Thanks!

The more I listen to #9, the more I get a Jeter Thompson vibe.
Just can't put my finger on this. A surprising Eddie Higgins rendition of something?
Well, I'm just guessing now. This era... wow ... just don't know...

Edited by rostasi

13 minutes ago, rostasi said:

The more I listen to #9, the more I get a Jeter Thompson vibe.
Just can't put my finger on this. A surprising Eddie Higgins rendition of something?
Well, I'm just guessing now. This era... wow ... just don't know...

Jeter is a new name for me. It's not him...nor is it Eddie. 

42 minutes ago, rostasi said:

and the introduction was thru
an album that really wasn't very good
("Too Expensive"),

That and Steaming Jungle are the ones I don't have. Too Expensive is noteworthy as it's his only major label album. But majors and Keith Hudson just don't go together. 

Quartette Trés Bien...one of those bands of the time that is neither as square as its detractors would have it nor as hip as its adherents would do the same. If you're looking for a maybe(?) melding of ramsey Lewis & Ahmad Jamal, here is one place it could be.

They're worth knowing about, at the very least. The Internet was my friend about this...

2 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Quartette Trés Bien...one of those bands of the time that is neither as square as its detractors would have it nor as hip as its adherents would do the same. If you're looking for a maybe(?) melding of ramsey Lewis & Ahmad Jamal, here is one place it could be.

They're worth knowing about, at the very least. The Internet was my friend about this...

I'll be checking them out for sure. 

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

That and Steaming Jungle are the ones I don't have. Too Expensive is noteworthy as it's his only major label album. But majors and Keith Hudson just don't go together. 

Well, "Too Expensive" was part of the Front Line era (which I document some here),
but it was just too slick for that, so it was kinda off-putting for me. But it was actually 
surrounded by some choice stuff.

Also, if you're interested in Bubble from the next decade or selected dub,
then I've got some mixes you'll (hopefully) enjoy. Always too much left out ...

On 6/3/2021 at 8:31 AM, Dub Modal said:

Summary update: 

Identified 100% - Songs 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 14 & 15

Partially ID'd: 

#7 - Song & album unnamed, band ID'd 

#11 - Song & album unnamed, Tenor player is Frank Wess

#12 - Just need the song title as everything else is pretty much ID'd

#13 - Song & album unnamed, Charles McPherson on alto

Unidentified - Songs 3 & 9

If @Hot Ptah weighs in, I'm betting he can get #3 with no problem. 

I'm going to remain with the hints I've given so far for #9 at the moment. It's only June 3rd so plenty of time for more listening/guesses. 

Love reading the takes so far. Appreciate yall giving an ear and time for commentary.  

I listened to #3 and I have no idea who it is. 

12 hours ago, randyhersom said:

And naming 10 pianists I haven't ruled out just for the heck of it:

Kenny Barron, Barry Harris, Hank Jones, George Wallington, Tommy Flanagan, John Hicks, Red Garland, Walter Norris, Mary Lou Williams, Hugh Lawson.

hmmmm-17608542.png

:ph34r:

13 hours ago, randyhersom said:

Known drummers oh identified tracks so far

2. Willie Jones

4. Don Moye

5. Sam Woodyard

6. JC Moses

7. Don Moye

8. Edward Vesala

11. Ben Riley

12. Shadow Wilson

13. Billy Drummond

14. Jon Christiensen

15. Luqman Ali

Damn that's a talented stable of artists. 

14 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

I listened to #3 and I have no idea who it is. 

Oh man, for some reason I thought you'd get it. :shrug[1]:

2 hours ago, tkeith said:

Blasphemy!  I'm not in THAT league, but thank you for the error.  #humbled

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

SO much gets by me...I have a wheelhouse or two, but outside of that...clueless, and happy to learn because of it.

You both bring skills that most of us wish we had, and in wider range than most of us could ever aspire to.

Even if Thom sometimes talks himself out of an ID or ... just .... can't ... quite ... get the track out of the recesses of his still-young mind. :P

From Wikipedia Ben Riley discography, eliminating horn led dates

With Kenny Barron

With Ray Bryant

With Red Garland

With Andrew Hill

With Hank Jones

With Sam Jones

With Junior Mance

With Jay McShann

With Horace Tapscott

With Roseanna Vitro

With Larry Willis

I happen to know that Shazam and Soundcloud can't identify this track, so the actual recording may have eluded this discog.

Tough nut to crack!

I haven't been able to find a stream of the Ray Bryant live album to compare. Al the tracks on the two volumes of Kenny Barron Live at Bradley's are too long.  

13 hours ago, randyhersom said:

From Wikipedia Ben Riley discography, eliminating horn led dates

With Kenny Barron

With Ray Bryant

With Red Garland

With Andrew Hill

With Hank Jones

With Sam Jones

With Junior Mance

With Jay McShann

With Horace Tapscott

With Roseanna Vitro

With Larry Willis

I happen to know that Shazam and Soundcloud can't identify this track, so the actual recording may have eluded this discog.

Tough nut to crack!

I haven't been able to find a stream of the Ray Bryant live album to compare. Al the tracks on the two volumes of Kenny Barron Live at Bradley's are too long.  

Basically a week away from the reveal so I'll tell you that while it's none of these, the bass player on track 9 is present somewhere among these albums. 

Also - how's that Red Garland Strike Up the Band record? It's never seen a reissue and the lineup looks interesting. 

4 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Also - how's that Red Garland Strike Up the Band record? It's never seen a reissue and the lineup looks interesting. 

Not as frisky as you might expect, so adjust expectations accordingly and then there's some enjoyment to be had.

6 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Not as frisky as you might expect, so adjust expectations accordingly and then there's some enjoyment to be had.

Interesting. Will try to find it streaming somewhere. I also have no Kenny Barron leader dates, but I love his playing. Need to remedy that. 

11 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

. I also have no Kenny Barron leader dates, but I love his playing. Need to remedy that. 

I have a fondness for the earlier Muse records, where he was playing with a lot of different forms and instrumentations. When he became a "piano trio guy"....always great playing, but not always the delight of surprise (for me). Still, one of the greats in the idiom, and he can always up the game of any record he's on, especially as an accompanisit.