BFT 207 - Link & Discussion

Dub Modal

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I have a fondness for the earlier Muse records, where he was playing with a lot of different forms and instrumentations. When he became a "piano trio guy"....always great playing, but not always the delight of surprise (for me). Still, one of the greats in the idiom, and he can always up the game of any record he's on, especially as an accompanisit.

Looks like 32 Jazz got a hold of 2 of those for a collection. Then there's Lucifer with Bill Barron, which then connects with Barron's own Jazz Caper. Going to do some listening today...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forty Five Degree Angle appears on Black Christ of the Andes also, and it's the most strikingly different I've ever heard the same musician play the same composition.  Wow.  On Black Christ of the Andes its slow, stately and dignified, even as the drums do their part to energize things.   The live version with Gales and Riley is a sprightly bebop romp with dramatic moments.  It tooke me a full minute of back and forth comparing to convince myself it was the same composition.  Great find Dub Modal!

14 hours ago, randyhersom said:

Forty Five Degree Angle appears on Black Christ of the Andes also, and it's the most strikingly different I've ever heard the same musician play the same composition.  Wow.  On Black Christ of the Andes its slow, stately and dignified, even as the drums do their part to energize things.   The live version with Gales and Riley is a sprightly bebop romp with dramatic moments.  It tooke me a full minute of back and forth comparing to convince myself it was the same composition.  Great find Dub Modal!

That's it! 

Glad you enjoyed it and happy to see it was an intriguing enough mystery in this neck of the woods. I've got it on the Mosaic reissue of that piano workshop. I'll be posting the reveal hopefully before noon. Working on that now.