Wayne Shorter Mosaic

If Mosaic is going to release a Joe Henderson set, would it also make sense to release a Wayne Shorter (Blue Note) set? How many discs would that be? The included sessions (1964-1970) would be:

• Night Dreamer
• Juju
• Speak No Evil
• The Soothsayer
• Etcetera
• The All Seeing Eye
• Adam's Apple
• Schizophrenia
• Super Nova
• Moto Gross Feio
• Odyssey of Iska
• unreleased 1970 quintet session

In addition to the unreleased session, a number of alternate takes (some already released in Japan) could be made available.

The personnel on the unreleased session is:

Wayne Shorter: tenor saxophone
Barbara Burton: vibes, bells, percussion
McCoy Tyner: piano
Miroslav Vitous: bass
Alphonse Mouzon: drums
recorded October 13, 1970
A&R Studios, NYC

The last 4 sessions are so different from the other 8 that it would make sense to do two sets. The last 4 could be thought of as pre-Weather Report. Wayne still has to consent to the unissued session being released. If it is ever to come out, it would be in a box with the other three.

7 hours ago, bertrand said:

Wayne still has to consent to the unissued session being released.

Do you really think this is true at Blue Note today? After they released that Jazz Messengers date that no one would release for decades, it would seem that they are no longer honoring those old rules. I expect the Tyrone Washington "Train Wreck" to get released any day now. "Discovered in the vaults - a long lost session!" :)

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I wonder if the tapes to the Shorter session even exist. 

I'm guessing they do, only because I vaguely remember, back in the BNBB days, Cuscuna entertaining its release during the Connoisseur days. (I hope my brain is not playfully making that up.)

My suspicion that they may not exist stems from an interview with Michael Cuscuna wherein he told me that he had given back tapes to musicians of rejected Blue Note sessions to be destroyed as they did not want them released. I specifically remember him saying he gave tapes back to Horace Silver and I can't remember specifically if he mentioned Wayne as well. That was in conversation with him not for publication, and so it doesn't appear in the published interview. I have the tape. . . somewhere. . . I think. Somewhere. . . not sure where right now.

3 hours ago, bresna said:

Do you really think this is true at Blue Note today? After they released that Jazz Messengers date that no one would release for decades, it would seem that they are no longer honoring those old rules. I expect the Tyrone Washington "Train Wreck" to get released any day now. "Discovered in the vaults - a long lost session!" :)

Remember that Michael played the session for Wayne in 1995, and he stopped it after two minutes. This means that he does not want it out but also that the tape still existed in 1995. I doubt Michael gave it to Wayne that day.

When I worked on the inventory of compositions for the Wayne biography, the answer I got regarding this session was that Wayne did not remember it at all. A little different from his reaction in 1995.

The Blakey session was different in that the leader was not around to object to its release.

From what I have heard, the Shorter session is probably too weird for a single release, but boxed with the other three as The Road to Weather Report would make sense.

A Wayne Shorter - and also a Bobby Hutcherson - 1960s BN Mosaic would be very nice, with a sound quality as good as on the recent but already OOP Mobley 1960s set. I'd get those in an instant :)

Edited by J.A.W.

1 hour ago, J.A.W. said:

... and also a Bobby Hutcherson - 1960s BN Mosaic would be very nice ...

:tup Off the top of my head ... it would make Patterns, Spiral, Medina, and Total Eclipse available to a wider audience. Not a bad thing. Could even be interpreted as humanitarian! :g

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

I thought Scott or Michael had indicated at some point in the past couple of years that they would *not* be doing a Shorter Blue Note Mosaic set.  I suppose their thinking could change, though.  

Now that you mention it, I seem to recall reading that here. But I would've never guessed that Mosaic would release a Henderson Blue Note set ... :ph34r: