Oscar Pettiford or Bobby Montez?

Teasing the Korean

Art Blakey's The Drum Suite was released on Columbia in 1957.

Bobby Montez's Jungle Fantastique was released on Jubilee in 1958.

Blakey's album includes a track titled "Oscalypso," credited to Oscar Pettiford, who plays bass on the album.

Montez's album includes a track called "African Fantasy," credited to Montez.

The melodies are very similar.  I don't know if it is a routine pattern that was often played over tumbaos or other grooves, but I don't think I've heard this precise riff on other Latin records.  

I wonder what the story is. 

When this gets settled, can I get to choose between Oscar Peterson & Chris Montez? I think that would be easier!

It's the same riff, different keys, and/but both have different publishers.

I would leant towards trusting Columbia over Jubilee, but I don't know if I'd lean towards either of the actually writing it, if you know what I mean. Sounds kinda vernacular-y to me, or at the least "in the vernacular"-y.

4 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

That Blakey track is fantastic

The Montez is pretty good too, think I found the LP on a blog a few years back and was pleasantly surprised how "real" it was. Sometimes you don't know, you see something like that and thing, uh-oh, ersatzic, surely. But this was not, this was just fine.

1 minute ago, JSngry said:

The Montez is pretty good too, think I found the LP on a blog a few years back and was pleasantly surprised how "real" it was. Sometimes you don't know, you see something like that and thing, uh-oh, ersatzic, surely. But this was not, this was just fine.

Listening now. Yeah, the percussion with vibes is nice. 

Just now, Dub Modal said:

I've never given this one an ear, but I've heard some of those BN's and at this point I'm in agreement. 

Side 1 is The Drum Suite, and side 2 is the Jazz Messengers doing their thang.

The Columbia album grooves much more.  As I wrote in another thread, my problem with the Blue Note albums is Blakey sounds like he's fighting against the African/Latin grooves, rather than grooving with them, and I don't mean going against them in a rhythmically interesting or compelling way either.

Hoping that Mike Weil will waddle into the discussion. 

Just now, Teasing the Korean said:

Side 1 is The Drum Suite, and side 2 is the Jazz Messengers doing their thang.

The Columbia album grooves much more.  As I wrote in another thread, my problem with the Blue Note albums is Blakey sounds like he's fighting against the African/Latin grooves, rather than grooving with them, and I don't mean going against them in a rhythmically interesting or compelling way either.

That's a good way to put it. When I heard them my reaction was that it sounded contrived and forced. 

The Bobby Montez theme is "borrowed" from the second part/phrase of Tito Puente's "Philadelphia Mambo". 

Cal Tjader also recorded that tune. both versions predate Montez'.

Pettiford et al might have heard either version. It was a popular track on the Latin Jazz scene.

Montez sure is Puente and Tjader influenced, as was probably every Latin vibes player after the two.

10 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

The Bobby Montez theme is "borrowed" from the second part/phrase of Tito Puente's "Philadelphia Mambo". 

Cal Tjader also recorded that tune. both versions predate Montez'.

Pettiford et al might have heard either version. It was a popular track on the Latin Jazz scene.

Montez sure is Puente and Tjader influenced, as was probably every Latin vibes player after the two.

Thank you!  I wonder what Puente's reaction was to the other two tunes.  Better yet, I wonder what the publisher's reaction was.