Mosaic website

16 minutes ago, miles65 said:

I tried to go to the Mosaic website I get a under construction message. Does anyone have the same trouble?

Probably because they were in the process of giving the website a whole new look. 

44 minutes ago, miles65 said:

I tried to go to the Mosaic website I get a under construction message. Does anyone have the same trouble?

26 minutes ago, Brad said:

Probably because they were in the process of giving the website a whole new look. 

25 minutes ago, miles65 said:

I hope so but there was nothing about that i their mail tonight explaining their situation.

The Mosaic website will indeed get a new look. I had no problems accessing the "old" site a few minutes ago.

20 minutes ago, J.A.W. said:

The Mosaic website will indeed get a new look. I had no problems accessing the "old" site a few minutes ago.

It is strange. On my tablet I get the old site again. On my laptop nothing. We'll wait and see.

Ah!

We receive many inquires regarding information on past sets and are in the process of linking the list below to description and discography for each of the releases. The ones that are completed are highlighted below as a link.

That will indeed be useful!

I've gotta say, I like the new site. Just having the change is nice, but it's a good clean look compared to the old one and makes good use of Mosaic's photo library. I agree with JSngry that the out-of-print discography section will be very nice to have and is certainly overdue. Judging from the "Great Jazz Artists" and "Best Albums" sections, it looks like they're setting up to be a Jazz101 hub-type site, which is a nice idea for novice jazz listeners discovering the music and label, though I'll be interested to see how that develops. 

2 hours ago, Brad said:

Looks like the old Jazz Gazette format has gone by the boards.  

I really, really, hope that they keep the Gazette email, for the simple fact that when percyfrance.info launches in a very short time frame, I was counting on a little rub from Michael to drive some traffic. I can't rely on Organissimo + Facebook, I am counting on the Gazette and Marc Myers blog too.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

I really, really, hope that they keep the Gazette email, for the simple fact that when percyfrance.info launches in a very short time frame, I was counting on a little rub from Michael to drive some traffic. I can't rely on Organissimo + Facebook, I am counting on the Gazette and Marc Myers blog too.

And looking at it I see what Brad references ... it's not the Gazette as it existed but is like a series of record reviews/essays. Not helpful for me.

17 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

And looking at it I see what Brad references ... it's not the Gazette as it existed but is like a series of record reviews/essays. Not helpful for me.

I agree. I really liked the old Gazette format because they presented articles from a bunch of different publications and sources. 

Mosaic sent the following email today.

When Charlie Lourie and I started Mosaic Records in 1982, we believed that we had stumbled upon the winning formula to realize dreams and pay the rent.  One little sentence in our eight-page proposal to restart Blue Note Records through Capitol Records gave us a new avenue to pursue: Definitive and complete boxed sets of great jazz artists at their peak with newly improved sound and booklets containing thorough discographies and research, great essays and vintage photography. 

We lost Charlie on December 31, 2000, but have carried on in the spirit and style that he created for Mosaic Records. 39 years after inception, we are still at it, creating the kind of deluxe boxed sets that we’ve been known for. The configuration changed from LP to LP & CD to CD only. Marketing has drastically evolved from post cards and small ads to ever-growing brochures to our websites, But we’ll never stop identifying and creating definitive boxed sets. 

Music on physical formats has slowed down steadily since the late ‘90s and in order to sustain existence in this shrinking world, we have created a new hybrid website. It will feature current and new Mosaic titles and our shopping cart, but it will be rich in content that celebrates the musical world that we all love.

We will draw upon the immense amount of material that we have developed over the last 39 years as well as other videos, audio tracks, books, essays, interviews, articles and reviews that are available. We will also present work from great jazz writers such as the late Bob Belden, Bob Blumenthal, Dan Morgenstern , Terry Teachout, Gary Giddins, Ricky Riccardi, and Scott Yanow. Our goal is to build a compelling jazz site that will continue far into the future

This new site will require funds and many hours of labor. In order to remain a functioning business, Mosaic Records will be seeking out advertising revenue as traffic to the site builds. We hope you’ll enjoy exploring  what  we have to offer.

- Michael Cuscuna

Edited by Brad