Albums I'd love to hear in mono, because the stereo mix has too much separation

mjzee

Don't you have a stereo/mono button on your amp/preamp? If not, you could buy a couple of Y adapters and get mono, no problem.

One of these:

RCA Male to Dual RCA Female Adapter

Connected to one of these:

main product photo

And then run the "regular RCA stereo cables into both sides of this combined adapter thing, running one side to the preamp input and the other side to your source source. You got mono.

https://www.showmecables.com/rca-female-to-dual-rca-female-adapter

https://www.showmecables.com/by-category/adapters/audio-video-adapters/rca/rca-male-to-dual-rca-female-adapter

Too many to list.

In another thread, I complained about a wonky stereo mix of a Miles Davis 60s album, which had Miles and Wayne overbearingly loud in the center, while the rhythm section was panned hard left or right.

I remixed the album using Audacity.   I used the conventional left/right channels, and then created a third mono track with just the rhythm and no horns.  I placed this track in the center and faded it up to the proper amount.

The net effect is that the stereo spread of the rhythm instruments is narrowed, and the horns are pulled back to where they are integrated into the band.

My stereo mix is much more balanced than the conventional stereo mix.

1 hour ago, bresna said:

Don't you have a stereo/mono button on your amp/preamp? If not, you could buy a couple of Y adapters and get mono, no problem.

That may or may not fix the problem, and depending on the mix, it may make it worse. A variety of things can happen when you fold stereo to mono, including boosting the center image or losing elements through phase cancellation.

I think the OP is talking about dedicated mixes.

Back to the mono button, I think that most of RVG's 1960s stereo mixes are improved when folded to mono, because the bass and piano are boosted to the level that RVG intended for the mono versions.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

53 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I envy you guys having a space where it matters. My shit these days just plays out into the room and by the time it gets to me, it's all mono of some sort.

Headphones make the problem really apparent.

Oh god, i envy anybody who has time and space to sit down and actually wear real headphones....best I get is an occasion demand to use earbuds on the phone/discman. Otherwise, it's just "turn it down, I can't hear the TV back here" and I'm like, if I do that, then I can't hear the record player out here while I'm working....what are you doing, by the way, retired person?

Besides, hearing's going anyway, so headphones....thrill now to the memories of yesteryear, etc.

Headphones allows me watching and listening hours I would not get otherwise, and my ears are fine. I have some very good headphone playback and disappear into the music sometimes, often even surprised to do so.

Many early stereo recordings I enjoy in mono. I dig that Atlantic Coltrane box set, and the Miles Davis box set, the Dylan box set, and the Beatles box set and. . .lots of non-box set items such as Teagarden on Roulette and Monk and Messengers. . . many more. Mono is very nice, especially when you aren't tied to the listening sweet spots.

Edited by jazzbo

6 hours ago, bresna said:

One of these:

RCA Male to Dual RCA Female Adapter

Connected to one of these:

main product photo

And then run the "regular RCA stereo cables into both sides of this combined adapter thing, running one side to the preamp input and the other side to your source source. You got mono.

https://www.showmecables.com/rca-female-to-dual-rca-female-adapter

https://www.showmecables.com/by-category/adapters/audio-video-adapters/rca/rca-male-to-dual-rca-female-adapter

do you need to have a separate phono preamp to make this work? Both of my amps are integrated but I have noticed some funny stereo LPs that would do well to be folded down.

42 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

do you need to have a separate phono preamp to make this work? Both of my amps are integrated but I have noticed some funny stereo LPs that would do well to be folded down.

The big question is, depending on your space, lighting, and configuration of your setup, will it be easy or difficult to switch back and forth.