• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry,

I didn't read the whole thread before I posted, should have done that

I surely didn't want to offend any of you

and I even feel sorry now that I got my information from a Spanish bootleg

j.

Apology accepted, and the rest of you can cut the crap. :blink: I'm sitting here with Jane's two albums on my desk and can assure you there really is a Ted Efantis (and I believe he's of Greek ancestry, but not positive), and he's listed on Jane's second album: Embers Glow - Jane Fielding, with the Kenny Drew Quintet, recorded in February, 1956, at Capitol Recording Studios in Hollywood. Engineer (Allan Emig).

The songs include:

1. Embers Glow

2. Our Waltz

3. Key Largo

4. Along With Me

5. In Love In Vain

6. 'Round about Midnight

7. Too Marvelous For Words

8. Make The Man Love Me

9. Right Boy For Me

10. All Dressed Up Tonight And No Place To go

That group consisted of the following musicians:

Kenny Drew (piano)

Joe Maini (alto sax)

Ted Efantis (tenor sax)

Paul Chambers (bass, tracks #2,4,5,6, & 9)

Leroy Vinnegar (bass tracks #1,3,7,8, & 10)

Lawrence Marable (drums)

Photographs (William Claxton)

Produced and supervised by Herbert Kimmel

Jane's first album, Jazz Trio for voice, piano and string bass, was recorded August 29, 1955, at Jazz West Records, Hollywood. (Some of this information has been damaged, but Herb Kimmel produced and supervised it and the same photographer did the cover photos: Bill Claxton.

Songs are:

How Long Has This Been Going On

Long Ago And Far Away

One Song

This Heart Of Mine

How Deep Is The Ocean

I'll Remember April

I Wish I Knew

Something To Remember You By

and two pretty ballads by Shorty Rogers: Stars Didn't Fall & A Summer Day

Musicians are:

Lou Levy (piano)

Red Mitchell (bass)

Jane Fielding (vocals)

Ted Efantis was not on this album. He had a lovely singing voice, and the last song I heard him sing in a club was The Nearness Of You. When I first met Ted, he worked part-time for a dry-cleaning company and finding music gigs at night. He and Jane used to visit my (then) husband and I at our small pad and we'd sit for hours playing "Twenty Questions." This brings back sooooooooo many good memories. :rolleyes:

I still haven't phoned Ted, but I will. I've been busy (no excuse) with my writing, and I have no idea when would be a good time to phone.

So there you have the correct album information. As for bootleg material, well some of the people who write the liner notes don't know how to spell worth a darn. I have no idea how that Teddy Edwards stuff got started. Maybe he played with that name at one time, I have no way of knowing. I just know Ted Efantis played on Embers Glow with Jane, but (if I'm not mistaken) on only one track.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

...as your website says "now is the time"~~~ Happy Holidays to you as well.

Mark~

• 2 months later...

there's a very very very expensive cd version of Embers Glow out there on ebay. For about 100$ it could be yours...

Ouch.

I'm still thinking a lot about miss Fielding, and I was wondering; how are the songs on the Caliope lp? Is that ever been issued on cd? Some of the other sessions have been issued on cd (Jams Clay, Carl Perkins,...)

And how about the songs by Terry Morel? I really love Morels Bethlehem lp...

And since the music is from a television show (Stars of Jazz, is that correct?), has someone ever SEEN Jane Fielding perform? That would be cool...

To hear a reissue of the music would be cool, but to see her would be way cooler... yiha!

j.

• 1 year later...

Found the 'Sessions, Live' LP where she's featured on. Terry Morel does two songs too...Oscar Peterson and Gerald Wiggins are the featured muscians. Fielding does not sing with Peterson though (but with Bob Hammack I believe it is). Morel sings with the Wiggins trio.

Nic LP, recommended.

It's a pity that the Troup interviews are cut out, so we can only imagine why Fielding was on 'Stars of Jazz'...

• 2 years later...

I can provide some details regarding questions raised about Jane Fielding's second album for jazz:west, EMBERS GLOW.

The first recording session was held at Capitol's studios at 5515 Melrose on January 21, 1956, from 3:00 to 6:00 PM. Jane Fielding was not a member of Local 47 and she is not mentioned on the contract. Personnel listed on this first date were: Kenny Drew, Lawrence Marable, Teddy Efantis, Paul Chambers, and Joseph Maini, Jr.

The second session was held on February 15, 1956, again at Capitol on Melrose, from 5:00 to 8:00 PM. Personnel were the same except that Leroy Vinnegar replaced Paul Chambers.

Kenny Drew is listed as leader for both sessions.

On her first album for jazz:west Red Mitchell was the leader. Herb Kimmel recalled that he split his double-scale with Fielding since she was not registered with the union. Don't know if the same arrangement was made with Drew to share his wages.

I will be contacting Tom Lord to give him many corrections regarding jazz:west discographical information.

Have any members heard updates regarding Jane Fielding?

Jim

• 10 years later...

reviving this absolutely fascinating almost twenty year old thread - I was following up on Julius Wechter & his Jazz West release then started looking more into the label (have most of the output) & finding the two Jane Fielding JW LPs and this dormant thread - time to kick it off again. I've had the Calliope/Stars of Jazz tracks for a few years but this material on Jazz West was new to me. The most recent post was almost 10 years ago & doesn't mention the Fresh Sound CD (was actually released in 2012) that contains both LPs & the two Stars of Jazz tracks.

https://www.freshsoundrecords.com/jane-fielding-albums/5751-embers-glow-jazz-trio-for-voice-piano-and-string-bass-2-lps-on-1-cd-bonus-tracks.html

also check this Mark Myers article from 2015 - he made contact with Jane's daughter (Jane passed round 2000)

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/news/who-was-jane-fielding/