DMP

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, John L said:

Most of it was bootlegged a while back on the "Rare Live Recordings" label,  But "Live in LA' would appear to also have a 13:14 Scrapple From the Apple recorded at the ranch at a later date that is not on the bootleg.  

Other than that, the previously unreleased music is a quartet recording from the Shrine when Bird was apparently dragged to the venue by Teddy Edwards in an almost unconscious state.  I haven't heard it yet, but apparently it is some of the worst Bird ever recorded.  

oh god

EDIT i was just looking up the date and plosin site already updated w/ the new lp info-  good to see it updated

http://www.plosin.com/MilesAhead/BirdSessions.aspx?s=481122

28 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

Maybe because the vinyl is around $50 more.

I’m not sure that’s the reason. May not appeal to the people who buy vinyl. For example, I’m a Canned Heat fan and the RSD folks have produced a lot of CH titles. I never have any trouble finding them and I usually go to my record store later in the day. 

I see comments online that because the sound quality is expected to be so low many were going for the cd and not the LP set. And the Japanese UHQCD version was the only version that could be pre-ordered for quite some time and I think some of the market went that route to guarantee availability even though it is more expensive than the cd sold on RSD. The Japanese UHQCD is still available to order from Japan.

On 26.11.2021 at 9:21 PM, medjuck said:

My local record store didn't get a cd copy and Amazon is saying they're out of stock.   I'd ordered it from Amazon in June but when I track the order it says 

"Not yet shipped
We will email you when we have an estimated delivery date."

I don't know whether that means they've put one aside for me but just haven't shipped it or I need to wait for another shipment.  (Does that even happen with record day cds?).  I don't know why I care so much--   I've got everything on it except one set that Peter Losin says isn't that good. 

Also got a notice from Amazon. Also had ordered it in June. 
A few days ago I read here that it will be in stock in november 26th, so I was looking forward gettin it soon and now I got a mail from Amazon were they ask me if I´m still interested in the order, since it still is not available. Are they kiddin´? 

The first disc in the collection, except for the first few fragmentary tracks from Billy Berg's, is highly enjoyable, with Bird is clear and pleasing sound. The last three tracks, apparently unreleased, are not the worst Bird recordings released. They are assuredly better than the Lover Man session; in fact, while Bird sounds off, he is also unusually relaxed; I like the three tracks. It's a fine collation of live early bebop tracks, sounding good.

19 hours ago, kh1958 said:

The first disc in the collection, except for the first few fragmentary tracks from Billy Berg's, is highly enjoyable, with Bird is clear and pleasing sound. The last three tracks, apparently unreleased, are not the worst Bird recordings released. They are assuredly better than the Lover Man session; in fact, while Bird sounds off, he is also unusually relaxed; I like the three tracks. It's a fine collation of live early bebop tracks, sounding good.

I had some of the material on the british Spotlite LP "Yardbird in Lotusland", I liked most the tracks with Bird and Diz at Billy Berg´s , I think Shaw Nuff is on it, and Salt Peanuts. I was disappointed that it was not on the 2 CD set of a more obscure european label something like "Rare Live Performances"..... it had only the 1946 Finale sessions with Miles and Joe Albany, which anyway was on side B of the Spotlite LP. 

I have not spinned it lately but if I remember right I would have preferred another drummer, Max or Kenny, since Stan Levey sounds a bit in the old Buddy Rich manner. Perfect, but too straight for bop lines....

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I had some of the material on the british Spotlite LP "Yardbird in Lotusland", I liked most the tracks with Bird and Diz at Billy Berg´s , I think Shaw Nuff is on it, and Salt Peanuts. I was disappointed that it was not on the 2 CD set of a more obscure european label something like "Rare Live Performances"..... it had only the 1946 Finale sessions with Miles and Joe Albany, which anyway was on side B of the Spotlite LP. 

I have not spinned it lately but if I remember right I would have preferred another drummer, Max or Kenny, since Stan Levey sounds a bit in the old Buddy Rich manner. Perfect, but too straight for bop lines....

Actually, the Billy Berg's material surfaced rather recently, well after Yardbird in Lotusland was released.  Shaw Nuff on Yardbird in Lotusland is from a Jubilee broadcast and Salt Peanuts is from an NBC broadcast.   There is only a little bit of known recorded Bird from Billy Berg's but the pre-Ornithology How High the Moon is quite beautiful and unique. 

Hey just found the cd set  on Amazon US for $38  from someone who   claims to have 18 copies.  I tried to copy the link but it doesn't seem to work.  If you search for the cd and then scroll down past the Lp the alternate offer shows up.   However you won't get it soon: " FREE delivery: Dec 22 - Jan 13". 

Edited by medjuck

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

Hey just found the cd set  on Amazon US for $38  from someone who   claims to have 18 copies.  I tried to copy the link but it doesn't seem to work.  If you search for the cd and then scroll down past the Lp the alternate offer shows up.   However you won't get it soon: " FREE delivery: Dec 22 - Jan 13". 

Amazon Global Store claims to have it for $24.11 + $12.58 shipping.  Click where it says "3 new from $24.11": https://www.amazon.com/CHARLIE-PARKER-BIRD-CHARLIE/dp/B096WQ28JQ/ref=pd_sbs_1/136-9934711-3352751?pd_rd_w=SFh80&pf_rd_p=0a3ad226-8a77-4898-9a99-63ffeb1aef90&pf_rd_r=PSZ4XSRDXKRWMVTVQZ32&pd_rd_r=e511abd1-9601-42cd-9fee-97a4c3373086&pd_rd_wg=lEaIj&pd_rd_i=B096WQ28JQ&psc=1

10 minutes ago, mjzee said:

Thanks.  I just cancelled my original order and ordered this.  Should arrive sooner. 

3 minutes ago, mjzee said:

I'm curious whether the sound quality on the Zorthian's Ranch material is notably better than the earlier RLR release.  If it isn't, I'd be paying an inexplicably high price for one CD's worth of tracks.

I haven't heard the RLR release but on first listen was pleasantly surprised by the sound quality of the party tracks--clear sound in the horns, but a muddy rhythm section and somewhat overloud drums. But quite listenable to my ears.

The RLR release does not have the final piece played/recorded, which is as high (not sick, high) as I've ever heard anybody play, even Chet Baker 

That might make it of a really, uh, specialty interest, but Bird being Bird, it fascinates me to no end 

At least as I remember it.

On 11/27/2021 at 10:41 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

I got a shipping notice from CD Japan. 

I have the Zorthian material on DAT from a project I was working on for Uptown - back in the day. I'll be interested to compare them.

Received the set today and see they credit Sunenblick as a source so it mignt be the same.

On 11/29/2021 at 10:56 AM, kh1958 said:

I just heard it for the first time and am inclined to agree.   Those three tracks were MUCH better than I expected.  Yes, Bird is clearly impaired and misfires many times.  But if you can bear to listen through that, there is actually good musical substance to enjoy.  It is a different Bird, but that's even part of what makes it musically compelling.  Genius is genius.