"Quartetto Gato Barbieri"

corto maltese

EJN170361.gif

Earlier today, this album was advertised and immediately sold (for 1.000 euro) on the website of Record Mania (Swedish record store).

Described as follows: "Ultra rare test pressing of never released double LP recorded in Italy with Franco D'Andrea, Bruno Tommaso and Pepito Pignatelli. Features stellar versions of "Maiden Voyage" and "So What" plus six more tracks, nice listening through all four sides. Records appears unplayed, just light signs of storage, plays great. Comes in generic white plain sleeve with RAI stamp + Dymo-sticker ("Gato Barbieri") on front, has a white sticker on front, some humidity spotting and minor paper tear off on back (just white paper torn off, there's no print at all on sleeve). Italian only original." You can listen to a 4 minute sound clip on the website .

Information about this release (on Discogs and elsewhere) is scare and incomplete. A French seller offers longer sound clips here .

Does anyone know more about this particular record or about this session (or other Barbieri sessions for Italian radio and TV, apparently there are many)?

Edited by corto maltese

yeah, saw that but it was already gone (not that I could've afforded it). Beautiful stuff, would love to hear the whole thing!

this is another library LP featuring Barbieri in Italy in the late '60s, certainly freer:

https://soundcloud.com/armagideon-times/intermezzi-jazz-04-lp-sbrugnolini-gato-barbieri-mega-rare-italian-free-jazz-session

(no, I don't have it -- been on my want list for ages)