Billy Harper scare.

Hardbopjazz

This was posted just now on Ed Cherry's Facebook page. Let's wish Billy the best.

"It was quite a Sunday yesterday at the Cutting Room in New York with the Billy Harper Quintet. I am writing this post to clear the air. Billy Harper was helped off the stage during the second tune of the first set and thanks to two medical woman who were in the audience one being WKCR 89.9 FM Sharif Abdus Salaam's wife who is a nurse, and another female Dr. who was in the audience Billy received the best of treatment until the paramedics arrived.
On a positive note, Billy refused to get on the stretcher and walked to the ambulance on his own accord as a cheering crowd stood and cheered his exit. I want everyone to know, Billy Harper is being checked out at the hospital and is in stable condition. Thank you all for your concern and yesterdays great turnout for this no to be forgotten Sunday Serenade.
Last, but not least, thanks to Freddie Hendrix, George Cables, Corcoran Holt and Aaron (the great) Scott for taking the music to a very high level and the amazing crowd gave them a standing ovation that was indescribable. Live music is like nothing I know and I'm proud and thankful for all of your support. Lets keep Billy in our thoughts and prayers and as Kenny Garrett once played on his album Happy People, (Brother B. Harper) that was written with Billy in mind lets keep B. Harper in our prayers. Thank you all for your concern."

Billy is doing much better. I asked on a Facebook page where I know many musicians are members,  TK Blue responded with this.  

Talib Kibwe

Greetings I am Billy’s younger spiritual brother and band mate when we were with Dr Randy Weston’s African Rhythms
I spoke with him today and he’s fine plus he sounded strong and normal I am sure he will be back on the bandstand very soon
Thanks 🙏🏿 for your concern and we all are extremely happy he’s well blessings T.K.

On 6/18/2021 at 5:12 PM, Hardbopjazz said:

Here is some more on what happened. Apparently he had a stroke the other day, but is doing much better right now.  Billy is still in the hospital. 

Wait ............. WHAT?

A stroke is nothing to be taken lightly (as in: "he's fine ... nothing to worry about") 

4 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

I agree. Hopefully he'll be back to normal.

Even if his playing days are over, I hope he is well enough to continue a fulfilling life.  He has much to offer even beyond his magnificent performing.

On 6/18/2021 at 8:12 PM, Hardbopjazz said:

Here is some more on what happened. Apparently he had a stroke the other day, but is doing much better right now.  Billy is still in the hospital. 

HE DID NOT HAVE A STROKE!!!!

This was a false rumor spread around in an e-mail chain earlier this week and is completely not true.

He is fine. He was released from the hospital on Tuesday and is home and doing OK.

Edited by david weiss

Might be a good idea to get a variety of non-connected data sources before going public with something like this. Just sayin'....

No idea what might have actually took him down like that, but am beyond relieved that it was not a stroke, and that whatever it was/is has been identified and dealt with, and that he is home and doing ok.

Wishing nothing but the best for the OG Capra-Black!

On 6/19/2021 at 10:06 AM, david weiss said:

HE DID NOT HAVE A STROKE!!!!

This was a false rumor spread around in an e-mail chain earlier this week and is completely not true.

He is fine. He was released from the hospital on Tuesday and is home and doing OK.

David would know. I have no further concerns ... and that's GOOD thing!