Erroll Garner - Liberation In Swing

In September, to mark his centennial year, Mack Avenue Music Group and Octave Music will issue “Liberation in Swing,” an impressive boxed set of 189 Garner tracks. An accompanying coffee-table book samples his surprising visual art and offers insightful essays by singer Cécile McLorin Salvant, drummer Terri Lynne Carrington and Thelonious Monk biographer Robin D.G. Kelley.

3 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I wish them luck and bet they predicted they would sell x amount of copies and will produce x and probably sell most of them.

I bought each of the 12 cds as they were released. Fun stuff!

Yes, we’ve gotten promos at the station of all of the individual CDs and they’re nicely done. I’ve held off on buying them because I have the old 6-CD set that collected all of this material; I picked it up for a song a few years ago and haven’t felt the need to upgrade to the new editions yet. If the “standard” box set included the CDs, I’d definitely be tempted to pick it up, though probably not at the full $150 list price. But definitely not shelling out such a sum for downloads and a handful of LPs. I’ll be content to either stay with my old set or acquire the individual reissues here and there.  

Glad at least to see Garner garnering some attention. (Thanks, folks, I’m here all week—try the hi-res downloads!) Yesterday was his centennial.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

so this is NOT new material then?

I'm not absolutely certain, but it appears to be the exact same music that Telarc issued a few years ago.

... But instead of putting two LPs worth of material on each CD -- like Telarc did -- Mack Avenue has put each LP on a single CD.   So what was formerly six Telarc CDs has become twelve CDs in this package.

:huh:

34 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I'm not absolutely certain, but it appears to be the exact same music that Telarc issued a few years ago.

... But instead of putting two LPs worth of material on each CD -- like Telarc did -- Mack Avenue has put each LP on a single CD.   So what was formerly six Telarc CDs has become twelve CDs in this package.

:huh:

Yep. This is the Telarc box (basically just the 6 CDs in a slipcase) that I picked up new 12 years ago for about $20:

51mS0oVcOAL._SX355_.jpg

Iirc, wasn’t Mosaic looking at possibly doing a Garner Columbia set at one point but couldn’t come to terms with the estate?

Edited by ghost of miles

10 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Interesting that Mack Avenue is ultimately owned by Gretchen Valade, the Chairman of the Board at Carhartt. Apparently she's a big jazz fan and it's a pet project of hers as is the Detroit Jazz Fest. 

Mack Avenue is one of my favorite modern-day jazz labels, and the recent run of Octave Garner reissues has been well-done—also helpful, I think, for promoting Garner’s legacy and giving him his due as an artist. (Not to mention Sony’s expanded version of Concert By The Sea that came out in 2015.) This new box set seems aimed at a very well-heeled connoisseur set of customers, so I’m happy to stick with the Telarc compilation—especially since the “standard” version—still at a boutique price!—doesn’t even include CDs. 

1 hour ago, thirdtry said:

So if I'm reading this right the only way to get the complete Symphony Hall concert is in the big set where it is 3 LPs.  The single CD and single LP being sold separately are an edited version.

I think you are right - sorry, I didn't read it thoroughly. Strangely, it doesn't look as if the big set comes with a digital download of the complete concert. 

5 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Yep. This is the Telarc box (basically just the 6 CDs in a slipcase) that I picked up new 12 years ago for about $20:

51mS0oVcOAL._SX355_.jpg

Iirc, wasn’t Mosaic looking at possibly doing a Garner Columbia set at one point but couldn’t come to terms with the estate?

Wasn't there also a problem with Columbia releasing recordings without his approval that caused him to leave the label? I would imagine that his estate probably would honor his wishes and block the reissuing of any of the music that he didn't authorize for release. 

• 1 month later...