I phone 11 -- sound breaking up

Larry Kart

I've downloaded several CDs from my I Mac onto playlists on my I Phone 11. Listening to them with my Signia Pure 312 7 NX's Bluetooth hearing aids, the sound breaks up badly. I should add 1) that those same Signia Bluetooth hearing aids sound fine otherwise (phone calls in car or elsewhere, normal speech, TV sound, music on my stereo system, etc.) and 2), when I play the music from my I Phone playing lists with the Bluetooth connection disabled -- so that the sound comes through my I Phone's speakers, not through my hearing aids -- things also sound just fine. Any thoughts as to how I get the music on my I Phone 11's playing lists to not break up when I listen to it through my hearing aids? BTW, listening to music that way is supposedly a normal thing to do.

I've spoken to Signia's help line -- they have no clue. I have an appointment with my audiologist tomorrow -- she too seems at a loss. 

42 minutes ago, bresna said:

If you lower the volume on the iPhone, does the sound still break up but at a lower volume or does it stop? Sometimes, media players on phones default to a "line out" level, which is typically full volume. Full volume could be distorting the playback via your earbuds.

Breaks up through the hearing aids at all volume levels, though the break up is less annoying, a bit less noticeable, at a lower volume level. Also, when I'm listening only through the I Phone's speakers, there is no break up at any volume level.

I have an iPhone XR and wear hearing aids that sync up with the iPhone but they’re not always perfect. You need to reboot your phone when you can’t hear music or YouTube videos. That usually takes care of the problem. 

Edited by Brad

Think I solved the problem.

Go to Accessibility on your I Phone, tap Touch (i.e. just tap the screen), scroll down and tap Call Routing. You'll then have three choices to make: either Automatic, Bluetooth Headset, or Speaker. Don't know what Automatic does; Speaker gives you good clear sound only from the I Phone's speakers: and Bluetooth Headset gives you good clear sound through your Bluetooth Headset, which is what I was trying to get. Without following the above path to Blue Tooth Headset and making that choice, what you'll hear through your headset is what's on the play list you want to access, but it will break up/sound like garbage.

BTW, I somehow found this out all by myself, which is pretty much a first for me in almost any tech-related matter.

15 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Think I solved the problem.

Go to Accessibility on your I Phone, tap Touch (i.e. just tap the screen), scroll down and tap Call Routing. You'll then have three choices to make: either Automatic, Bluetooth Headset, or Speaker. Don't know what Automatic does; Speaker gives you good clear sound only from the I Phone's speakers: and Bluetooth Headset gives you good clear sound through your Bluetooth Headset, which is what I was trying to get. Without following the above path to Blue Tooth Headset and making that choice, what you'll hear through your headset is what's on the play list you want to access, but it will break up/sound like garbage.

BTW, I somehow found this out all by myself, which is pretty much a first for me in almost any tech-related matter.

Was it set to Automatic? If that's the case, it must've switched to the Speaker setting when you were playing back your music. Good catch.

You'll just have to remember this if you ever want to listen via the phone's speakers. :)

My solution vanished overnight. Back to the sound breaking up this morning, and re-selecting Bluetooth Headset (as described above) and the sound still break up. I'm at a loss and so is Apple Help; I was on the phone with them for two hours today; their final remedy was to totally restore the I Phone's software and firmware, which we did. Sound still breaks up. At least the guy I was speaking to was fairly sure that t he problem was in the I Phone and not with with my Blue Tooth Signia hearing aids, which work just fine with every other sound source, including Blue Tooth phone calls in the car, TV sound, etc. Help!

Thanks. I found someone else who has a BT headset. The sound on that cheap crappy headset, once it was hooked up with my I Phone, was kind of muffled, but it didn't break up, so probably the Bluetooth earbuds that are part of my $500 hearing aids is where the problem lies. Talk about your good news/bad news.