Mosaic Masters After They Go Out of Print

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure looks like Qobuz is legit, but how do they get the files? Do they pay in advance for a set # of hits, or do they have an open-ended thing where periodically they go over the books and pay the rights holders per download, or, just what exactly? Because somebody on their end has made the calculation that they can get $X of gross receipts and that they wil have $Y profit after expenses.

Maybe Qobuz has determined that some things just aren't worth it, as have the asset owners. Old people usually don't stream or download (at least the old people on this forum) and how many teenage youths of any age are there wanting this stuff in a high quality, especially since there's been so much "settling" over the last few decade or two with all the PD "options" and needle drops and stuff?

I totally get the frustration with the unavailability of so much cultural heritage, but I also get the bottom line(s) at stake here.

This shit...really, if a company has no intention of releasing it, they should be given a viable incentive (such as, say, a reprieve from one email from one guy every five years or so, LOL)to give it to the Smithsonian. Them are tax dollars I don't mind being spent! Hell, set up a new branch specifically for this purpose. Screw wasteful bureaucracy, all things being equal, "government efficiency" is bullshit anyway, I want service, not savings, and I'm willing to pay for it.

It seems clear that the revolution of recording now has reached a point where the cultural hard drive is going to have to be erased to clear space. So...unless and until a plan is reached for removable drives for archives, we're on our own to get what we can, how we can. We see who the players are, and we see who among them are not going to help us, ethically, anyway (this race to the bottom crap is entirely preventable if we want it to be). so...no excuses, just reality. Proceed accordingly.

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

Wow some good stuff there.  And there's that large Nat Cole Trio on Capital set as well. Are they still doing Capitol Vaults at all? 

The Cole is available. That was my first Qobuz purchase, after a board member steered me there. Have bought lots since.

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, I thought that Mosaic packaging was proprietary?

In what sense? Trademark dress? If so, it’s possible they could have applied and received a trademark although whether they have is a different question. 

5 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Thanks. Never heard of it before. Just out of the loop.

I’ve heard lots of good things about it but I’m not a fan of music streaming.