Pop music played through small speakers

Bol

Sometimes, especially when I am working, I use iTunes shuffle and Blue Tooth to play music through a radio with a small mono speaker.  The radio I have is an audiophile one, but a low end one put out by Revo.  I am beginning to think that rock and other pop music sound better through a small mono speaker than on a full hi fi system.  The music sounds more focused and distilled, and some of the vulgarity of the many pop productions is diminished in effect.  Does anyone else feel this way?  

You mean like an AM radio in you car playing 45s that the station was playing on a turntable that sent the signal out through the air as an analog signal? If so, then hell yeah! 

The the whole FM thing hot real, and I have no idea what that was all about.

It might be an urban legend, but it does seem that today's (and I'm going back at least 25 years for "today", LOL) pop music is tailored for "music on the go" in terms of EQ curves, compression, stuff like that.

Perfectly logical, and here we go again, the 45s of yesteryear were very much mixed and mastered to sound good coming out of a transistor radio and an AM car radio. And they too sound good on a regular system. But they sound more "correct" coming out of those things, and jukeboxes as well.

Pop music has always been about the product delivering the experience to the most people on the most impactful manner for where those people are most likely to be. Is it possible to get a smaller speaker than an earbud? So....mis for the earbud, and just make sure it toes sound like TOTAL crap when played on a real hi-fi record player stereo system.

14 minutes ago, JSngry said:

It might be an urban legend, but it does seem that today's (and I'm going back at least 25 years for "today", LOL) pop music is tailored for "music on the go" in terms of EQ curves, compression, stuff like that.

Perfectly logical, and here we go again, the 45s of yesteryear were very much mixed and mastered to sound good coming out of a transistor radio and an AM car radio. And they too sound good on a regular system. But they sound more "correct" coming out of those things, and jukeboxes as well.

Pop music has always been about the product delivering the experience to the most people on the most impactful manner for where those people are most likely to be. Is it possible to get a smaller speaker than an earbud? So....mis for the earbud, and just make sure it toes sound like TOTAL crap when played on a real hi-fi record player stereo system.

All I can say is that earbuds of just about any make sound better than whatever is coming out of a google home or alexa speaker. I'm betting that demo younger than 30 y/o, most of their music gets played via either of those or car speakers.