Anthony Braxton Quartet Standards 2020

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The band is Alexander Hawkins (of this parish) p. Neil Charles b. Stephen Davis dr., that's Alex's trio

early review here

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jun/18/anthony-braxton-quartet-standards-2020-review-astonishing-chronicle-from-a-one-off

Those band details are actually on the page that you linked to, towards the bottom where it gives an overview of the recordings

Therese also been tribute type albums too, e.g. to Charlie Parker, Thelonious Monk or Lennie Tristano. 

Braxton standards sets tend to be pretty divisive. He generally hands out pretty tough treatment to the tunes, which, depending on your view, is either a sign of a genius reinterpretation or a sign of someone who can't play / hasn't bothered to rehearse. Its provocative stuff.

I'm personally half/half, but I don't really know the "more recent" (in the sense of post his entry into academia in 1985) standards sets.  I'd be interested to know if anyone thinks any of them in particular stand out, including the new set.

Edited by Rabshakeh

Streaming this set now. 'Desafinado' definitely identifiable as have been the other two tunes I've heard so far. To me it just sounds like Anthony Braxton playing some famous tunes.  If you don't like his playing elsewhere this isn't going to convert you.  I always hear the standards and tribute albums as his recordings where his 'cool' influences are so apparent, but what do i know.

He plays the tunes. He doesn't really display an interest in using anybody's phraseology or architecture but his own. So it's just one more statement of overriding principal being applied to any damn underlying structural construct that he feels like working with.

It's only "complicated" when you want it to be something it has not interest in being, like, "songs". For that, there's plenty of other people, many of them already dead.

18 minutes ago, JSngry said:

He plays the tunes. He doesn't really display an interest in using anybody's phraseology or architecture but his own. So it's just one more statement of overriding principal being applied to any damn underlying structural construct that he feels like working with.

It's only "complicated" when you want it to be something it has not interest in being, like, "songs". For that, there's plenty of other people, many of them already dead.

exactly

5 minutes ago, tranemonk said:

With someone as large a discography as his... it's hard to figure out where to start. I liked what I listened to from this set... but it seems odd as is a departure from his "typical work" or is genuinely genreless????

If you liked what you heard, then that's a good place to start IMO. I see it states that during Virgo the band goes into Braxton's language music to interpret it, so you'll get some doses of his "typical work" which can help with further exploration. 

55 minutes ago, JSngry said:

It's not unlike "Electric Miles"...the "format" is what changes, the playing, not so much.

If you're really looking to dive in even a little, just go for what looks good, band, repertoire, whatever.

I like that.. that works... thanks. 

Excited to get the email with the download links today.
The box has been on order for some time and looks like
it'll be arriving soon. One of the very few physical items
that I "need" to have here (they're getting less so!)

Regarding introductions: you can read this Bandcamp article
that may point you in certain ways.

8 minutes ago, rostasi said:

Excited to get the email with the download links today.
The box has been on order for some time and looks like
it'll be arriving soon. One of the very few physical items
that I "need" to have here (they're getting less so!)

Regarding introductions: you can read this Bandcamp article
that may point you in certain ways.

That's a nice piece! I sometimes also point friends towards this compilation (available as a 'name your price' download), which offers a number of great 'ways in', depending on your starting preferences.

27 minutes ago, erwbol said:

I'm about to pull the trigger on this. 28 copies left on Bandcamp. I emailed Jazz Messengers to ask if they will be getting stock.

Obviously it's a limited edition... How many do you think they're printing? Is it likely after these 28... the CDs are gone and there will only be a download option? 

I pre-ordered and had access to some of the tracks before the full digital album because available today.  Listening to the tracks performing Andrew Hill compositions right now. Fascinating. I have always been a fan of Braxton's "jazzier" work, including his interpretations of the standard repertoire. It is a lot of music to digest, but I am glad I ordered the box set.

8 hours ago, erwbol said:

I just hope they would ship the box set well protected in hard cardboard, not some bubble mailer.

I bought a box set from them last year, very well packaged in a box with bubble wrap inside. Made it to the UK in perfect condition