Anthony Braxton Quartet Standards 2020

29 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I bought a box set from them last year, very well packaged in a box with bubble wrap inside. Made it to the UK in perfect condition

Thanks! That's a great relief. Jazz Messengers would have been more expensive anyway, and like the first batch of the Joe Henderson Mosaic, they'll probably fly off the shelves before they even get properly listed.

I'm going to put the 9GB of downloaded FLACs on a USB and start streaming on my living room system today!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had it in my cart, but for some reason the bank sent out a fraud alert on the transaction at exactly the time when my granddaughter came over...the voicemail was blaring as she was walking in, and of course she comes first, especially since the caller ID did not clearly identify itself. So by the time I got them inside and greeted, listened to the call, realized that oh shit i need to take care of this, called in approved the transaction, fixed her a snack, caught up on things (a 4 year old has a LOT to tell you!) then got back to the cart and tried to check out, OOPS sold out. I think it went from 11(?) to sold out in just a few hours.

I am not upset, I had my chance, I'll live. But what is REALLY odd is that a new CD record of Julian Eastman music on New Amsterdam went up yesterday, and has sold out already!

https://wildup.bandcamp.com/album/julius-eastman-vol-1-femenine

I got the email yesterday, checked it out, and figured I'd order it sometimes today. Well...there's no rush to order a DL now, is there...

In both of these cases, it'll be interesting to see what the aftermarket prices are...wonder how much, if any, of these are being quicksold by people looking to flip their purchases.

14 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I had it in my cart, but for some reason the bank sent out a fraud alert on the transaction at exactly the time when my granddaughter came over...the voicemail was blaring as she was walking in, and of course she comes first, especially since the caller ID did not clearly identify itself. So by the time I got them inside and greeted, listened to the call, realized that oh shit i need to take care of this, called in approved the transaction, fixed her a snack, caught up on things (a 4 year old has a LOT to tell you!) then got back to the cart and tried to check out, OOPS sold out. I think it went from 11(?) to sold out in just a few hours.

I am not upset, I had my chance, I'll live. But what is REALLY odd is that a new CD record of Julian Eastman music on New Amsterdam went up yesterday, and has sold out already!

https://wildup.bandcamp.com/album/julius-eastman-vol-1-femenine

I got the email yesterday, checked it out, and figured I'd order it sometimes today. Well...there's no rush to order a DL now, is there...

In both of these cases, it'll be interesting to see what the aftermarket prices are...wonder how much, if any, of these are being quicksold by people looking to flip their purchases.

Food for thought. The Parker set was very popular like this new standards set.zMJhcuS.png

Since when did Julius Eastman get so popular? I know he's still at best a cult figure (albeit one with perhaps "renewed interest", and that it doesn't take long to sell out a really small run, but damn, less than 24 hours?

In both cases, though, decent quality DLs are avialable, and my shrinking shelf space id not mirrored by my hard drive space...but there is a loy less urgency to get a DL. It's jsut files, right? The music is one thing, the object something else. And I often like them both, for separate reasons. But hey, I can change that as/if the times deem it so.

Not paying $500 for a Braxton box set until I can afford it, and unless I, like, increase my existing assets by a factor of... 50 Bajillion or so, that's not happening.

Oh well!

But the lowest price it sold at is €84. That should give you some hope, but the longer you wait after release, the more the price will mirror that €499.

And then there is Jazz Messengers in late August/early September.

Edited by erwbol

The clear lesson here is that the limiteder the run of the physical issues get, the quicker you're gonna need to carpe diem, or else be prepared to deal with the aftermarket.

Or, uh, just switch to legit DLs. Not my first choice, but my time, my money, my choice, simple as that.

The S.E.M. version of Feminine has been out for exactly a year and is still available
and has long been a definitive version if you're interested.

That €500 version of the Braxton may be one of the signed ones that he offered and I picked up a while back.
I haven't checked yet.

Also, Julius Eastman has been one of those composers who's had a very strong presence in the "new music"
or "contemporary classical" or whatever it's called these days for decades - and there are, especially, young
artists of all kinds who want his work, so, 24 hours?, I don't know, but within 72? Yup, fer sure!

<<< Just looked at that Braxton, and it doesn't say anything about "signed", 
but it is sealed and sold by an entrepreneurial spirit from Germany.
Don't expect that to be the norm - at least while Braxton is alive. 

18 minutes ago, rostasi said:

Also, Julius Eastman has been one of those composers who's had a very strong presence in the "new music"or "contemporary classical" or whatever it's called these days for decades - and there are, especially, young artists of all kinds who want his work, so, 24 hours?, I don't know, but within 72? Yup, fer sure!

Yeah, less than 24 hours. So...time for a comeback tour or something!

Seriously, I know his music and was looking forward to a "new version". And so now there is one. But DAMN that CD went in the blink of an eye...

10 minutes ago, trane123 said:

I first got an email from Bandcamp about this set back on May 6, so it's been around a while.

I assume you're talking about the Braxton, right? Even so, that still seems like a very quick sellout. After listening to numerous tracks I caved and got the cd set. I know it's a lot but watching those sets tick down was a good incentive to pull the trigger. 

I agree that I prefer physical cds for certain artists. 

35 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, less than 24 hours. So...time for a comeback tour or something!

Seriously, I know his music and was looking forward to a "new version". And so now there is one. But DAMN that CD went in the blink of an eye...

Yeah, that’s too bad, but it’ll probably show up, reasonably priced, on Discogs.
The other versions haven’t sold out (tho the Sub Rosa one is down to a single copy), so maybe this label is hitting all of the right spots with their advertising(?)

Edited by rostasi

New Amsterdam has gotten my attention, yes. I always look (and often enough, buy) when I get a new release notification. Guess I'm not the only one.

I've also noticed that their CD product only sometimes turns up on Discogs. So...they seem to be finding their audience, not just with music, but with format.

https://www.discogs.com/Ashley-Bathgate-Sleeping-Giant-Ash/release/14490795

https://www.amazon.com/Ash-Ashley-Bathgate/dp/B07XKGBZZT/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=ashley+bathgate&qid=1624147534&sr=8-4

Nope. But it's a GREAT record, and we all have friends, right?

Still....NEXT time, order the damn thing as soon as the email comes, it's like a sinatra/mccartney/stones ticket or something.

I have, but I don't want it all. Hate to pay less, get more, but end up not using all of it. Not something I'm into. One more way that the "digital paradigm" ends up creating mental clutter, oh I have EVERYTHING now...well, I don't WANT everything, and I sure don't NEED everything.

It's like the warehouse club thing, for some items, it makes sense,but for other things, oh wok, GREAT price on the 360-count pack of eggs, too bad they're damn near all gonna get thrown out.

And I know that eggs are not datas, but still....goes to the overall spirit of being mindful about one's consumption, in general. In the end....chicken.