Anthony Braxton Quartet Standards 2020

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I first noticed when listening to the Bandcamp stream and has now been confirmed by the official FLACs, while the box set was well-recorded, the mastering is too loud. Not good imo. I'll probably be putting the still sealed physical box set up for sale on Discogs or eBay once it arrives in late August/early September. (Or here if anyone is interested.)

There was a similar issue with the third Leo Records standards box, 19 Standards (Quartet) 2003, released 2010, which was significantly louder than the first two box sets from the 2003 tour released in 2004 & 2005.

----------

Also, I had contact with Jazz Messengers. It is doubtful they'll be able to get the box set in stock.

"Good afternoon, 

Thanks for your message. 

Hopefully we will. I mean, we are doing everything we can to get it, but, we truly don’t know if we are going to, sorry! According to his Band Camp is already sold out, but, it might be available through any of our suppliers. 

If we have any luck bringing it, we will announce it for sure! 

All the best, 

Jorge, Jazz Messengers

Customer Service"

Edited by erwbol

7 hours ago, erwbol said:

As I first noticed when listening to the Bandcamp stream and has now been confirmed by the official FLACs, while the box set was well-recorded, the mastering is too loud. Not good imo. I'll probably be putting the still sealed physical box set up for sale on Discogs or eBay once it arrives in late August/early September. (Or here if anyone is interested.)

There was a similar issue with the third Leo Records standards box, 19 Standards (Quartet) 2003, released 2010, which was significantly louder than the first two box sets from the 2003 tour released in 2004 & 2005.

----------

Also, I had contact with Jazz Messengers. It is doubtful they'll be able to get the box set in stock.

"Good afternoon, 

Thanks for your message. 

Hopefully we will. I mean, we are doing everything we can to get it, but, we truly don’t know if we are going to, sorry! According to his Band Camp is already sold out, but, it might be available through any of our suppliers. 

If we have any luck bringing it, we will announce it for sure! 

All the best, 

Jorge, Jazz Messengers

Customer Service"

When you say it's too loud... what exactly do you mean? Is there distortion? Out of balance? Do you know if the 2006 Standards Brussels box is too loud? 

7 minutes ago, tranemonk said:

When you say it's too loud... what exactly do you mean? Is there distortion? Out of balance? Do you know if the 2006 Standards Brussels box is too loud? 

The volume levels are too high. I can't even put the volume knob up to 9 o' clock without annoying peaks in the sound bothering me. For the Sextet (Parker) 1993 CD box set I could comfortably turn the volume up to 10 o' clock.

I don't enjoy listening at a whisper.

As I said, the recording itself is fine. If you didn't buy the FLACs & physical set yet, just stream for free at Bandcamp and then compare to Sextet (Parker) 1993. Bandcamp streaming volume levels are generally a good indicator of relative volume levels of the corresponding physical CDs in my experience.

-----

I believe the 2006 Brussels set was recorded before a very noisy audience, so I didn't buy it, haven't heard it. Also, it wasn't on Leo Records.

Edited by erwbol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sold out?  That would appear to not be true...

13-CD Box Set with 16-page booklet

• package image
Limited Edition 13-CD Box.

Includes unlimited streaming of Quartet (Standards) 2020 via the free Bandcamp app, plus high-quality download in MP3, FLAC and more.
ships out within 4 days
edition of 300  10 remaining

Buy Compact Disc  $130 USD or more

https://newbraxtonhouse.bandcamp.com/album/quartet-standards-2020

7 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

So far, my favorite song is ""I'm So Glad We Had This Time Together".

Perhaps because of my age, and because I'm not aware the Carol Burnett show was 'exported' over here, I was completely unaware of this tune, and it totally knocked me out...absolutely beautiful. Similarly with 'Where the Blue of the Night (Meets the Gold of the Day)' from elsewhere in the set - a total gem of a song which I have to confess I just didn't know...

Edited by Alexander Hawkins

Weirdest listening experience, so far, 'The 59th Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)'.  Neil Charles, ladies and gentlemen!  Terrific performance all round, mind.  To think I had a ticket but couldn't go...

Five discs in and the set is a treasure trove which is going to be mined for years.

25 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Weirdest listening experience, so far, 'The 59th Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)'.  Neil Charles, ladies and gentlemen!  Terrific performance all round, mind.  To think I had a ticket but couldn't go...

Five discs in and the set is a treasure trove which is going to be mined for years.

One bit of trivia which none of us realised at the time, but which I discovered a couple of days after this gig...and beautifully fitting considering Anthony's love of Brubeck etc: I believe it's Eugene Wright and Joe Morello on the studio recording of the tune with Simon & Garfunkel!

On 02/09/2021 at 0:08 PM, Alexander Hawkins said:

One bit of trivia which none of us realised at the time, but which I discovered a couple of days after this gig...and beautifully fitting considering Anthony's love of Brubeck etc: I believe it's Eugene Wright and Joe Morello on the studio recording of the tune with Simon & Garfunkel!

That's a great story.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Mine arrived today, also from Squidco. How did that work, Braxton House Bandcamp working as a broker? Win-win?

I get the impression from my communications with them that BH is very much an almost volunteer-based organisation, a very well run one. So maybe push came to shove it just made resource sense for them to employ Squidco's fulfilment expertise. Two good organisations working together.