Michael Gregory Jackson with Julius Hemphill and Abdul Wadud

randyhersom

Side one of his debut album Clarity made me into a Michael Gregory Jackson fan, and the next two, Karmonic Suite and Gifts were also highly enjoyable.  From there I've kept tabs on his shift into folkis, R&Bish pop music, while hoping he would return to his early jazzier style.  A recent batch of Bandcamp releases effectively doubles the number of primarily jazz albums released.  Bandcamp is letting me play entire tracks of these albums instead of short samples, and I've been feasting on them.

The obvious standout was Frequency Equilibrium Koan because it also featured Julius Hemphill and Abdul Wadud, also longtime favorites of mine.  The trio album Spirit Signal Strata was also very strong, as were Liberty and Whenyoufindityouwillknow.  There's also a single track, ten minute tribute to Charles Mingus with guitar bass and drums.   Looking forward to the next artist Bandcamp Friday.

Michael GJ's 1979 Arista LP, 'Heart and Center' is amazing -- a favorite.  Imagine Shuggie Otis' Inspiration Information' with Baikida Carroll. Marty Ehrlich, and Pheeroan ak Laff drumming on all 8 tracks.  The album has yet to appear on CD -- there's probably more vinyl promo copies from '79 than stocks.