JR Monterose Is Alive In Amsterdam

Late

Listening to "Sonnymoon For Two" off the Monterose album right now. I wonder if Sonny Rollins ever heard this version. It's eerie how close Monterose's playing is to Rollins here. Would be good blindfold material.

Anyone else here know this album?

On 6/28/2021 at 3:01 PM, Late said:

Equally thrilling is the first compact disc reissue of Hans Dulfer's Live In Paradiso:

dulfer_hans_jazzinpar_101b.jpg

If you are a fan of Archie Shepp's 60's work, you need to own the Dulfer.

The one review of this album on Discogs has got it wrong. This is an excellent free jazz album ... BUT you have to like albums such as Shepp's Live In San Francisco in order to get with the groove. Dulfer can play. No pretending. Shepp & Rudd must have smiled to hear it.

15 hours ago, Late said:

The one review of this album on Discogs has got it wrong. This is an excellent free jazz album ... BUT you have to like albums such as Shepp's Live In San Francisco in order to get with the groove. Dulfer can play. No pretending. Shepp & Rudd must have smiled to hear it.

That reviewer on Discogs is "idiosyncratic" to say the least

On 29.6.2021 at 7:01 PM, Late said:

Listening to "Sonnymoon For Two" off the Monterose album right now. I wonder if Sonny Rollins ever heard this version. It's eerie how close Monterose's playing is to Rollins here. Would be good blindfold material.

Anyone else here know this album?

This one is excellent ....

• 3 weeks later...

Have both on LP and they're fantastic.

Jazz in Paradiso was part of a Dulfer CD box that EMI Holland did some years ago; I never had that, but it looked pretty all-encompassing. I feel like all of those Catfish LPs should have standalone reissues. They're indispensable.

https://www.discogs.com/Hans-Dulfer-The-Formative-Years-68-98/release/6557889

39 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Have both on LP and they're fantastic.

Jazz in Paradiso was part of a Dulfer CD box that EMI Holland did some years ago; I never had that, but it looked pretty all-encompassing. I feel like all of those Catfish LPs should have standalone reissues. They're indispensable.

https://www.discogs.com/Hans-Dulfer-The-Formative-Years-68-98/release/6557889

That boxset looks like the way to go for me

• 2 weeks later...

Both the Monterose and Dulfer arrived this week (via CD Japan). For live recordings, both sound good on compact disc. Solid (the reissue label) is getting better at not overly compressing their releases. Both albums can be turned up. On the Monterose, Han Bennink's drums sound improved: cleaner and with a more noticeable soundstage; in contrast, Monterose's tenor is still somewhat recessed, but that's probably in the original recording. The music of course is excellent.

If you like Archie Shepp's mid-60's work on Impulse! (with Roswell Rudd), you'll like the Dulfer. It's high energy organized "free" playing. This album should be better known; and I have a feeling (just a hunch) that this disc will go out-of-print quickly. If you like this period and style of music, and don't mind live recorded sound, I'd recommend it. :tup