MPS reissues

ghost of miles

4 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

As much as I love Horst Jankowski, isn't the first track stolen from KPM, though? 

It came out under two names.  "Little Racer" is the name on the Jankowski album; I will have to check the KPM name.

This was not unusual.  For example, Les Baxter's GNP Crescendo album titled Africa Blue was released as a KPM album called Boogaloo in Brasil

On 2021/6/30 at 3:53 AM, bertrand said:

The Hubbard does not seem to have the bonus track, which is apparently the same 'Muses' composition that appeared in the Dolphy Resonance set. That is annoying.

I have 2 reissues of "The Hub of Hubbard", one is a Japanese CD from early 90's and the another is from 2009.  The latter has "Muses" as a bonus track.   It's the same tune Dolphy recorded, and this time played as trumpet/bass duo by Hubbard and Davis.  I suspect it's the same take issued in Davis' own MPS album (recorded on the same day), but I'm not sure.  Not bad, but very subdued and a bit boring.

"The Hub of Hubbard" is a lively album, but I always think something wrong with Louis Hayes then.  His time keeping was messed up.  "Without a Song: Live In Europe 1969" features the same band and I think it's better.  Or w.r.t Hubbard's MPS output, "Rollin'" is a little known gem.

• 2 weeks later...