Dutch Jazz: Theo Loevendie Three

Late

I just discovered this album today:

R-3635458-1338264680-7155.jpeg.jpg

Theo Loevendie: bass clarinet, piano, soprano saxophone
Maarten Altena: bass
John Engels: drums
recorded March 19-20, 1967, Amsterdam

Anyone here know this album? I'm surprised John Corbett has never included it in any of his reissues of rare European free jazz over the years. It certainly fits the bill as far as genre and time period. I've only heard one track on YouTube so far. He also has a 1970 album titled Mandela that looks really interesting.

Edited by Late

Great, great record. Engels and Altena on here remind me of Bennink (and Altena) on Porto Novo from 9 months later... not sure if Artone releases are easily licensed or not and I believe the catalog was folded into CBS at one point. That might preclude a reissue.

Mandela is badass. It was reissued on CD a few years ago, I think. Loevendie is brilliant.

Yeah, the Consort albums -- Mandela on Catfish (an EMI subsidiary for which Hans Dulfer did A&R) and Chess! on BASF -- are both wonderful. The Nederlans Jazzarchief reissued both on one CD. The LPs are not difficult to find and should be under $100. There's also an excellent Antibes live date floating around the internet that lines up perfectly with Mandela, and is even more rambunctious. 

not listed on Discogs is a Japanese CBS/Sony pressing of Stairs! from the late '60s. 

• 10 months later...