BFT #207 Reveal

Dub Modal

Well, I had fun making this BFT and hope you all got some enjoyment out of it. I was motivated by JSngry's advice/tip in that these are essentially a modern mix tape platform, and so tried including a variety and styles from different eras and traditions to make a decent blend. 

The tracks: 

1 - Sam's Intro - Count Ossie & Mystic Revelation of Rastafari, from Tales of Mozambique (1975)  

2 - Lucky Strike - Elmo Hope Trio, from Meditations (1955)

3 - Testing My Faith - Keith Hudson, from The Black Breast Has Produced Her Best, Flesh of My Skin Blood of My Blood (1974) Hudson's singing is an acquired taste for most, but I find it heartfelt, especially on this track. 

4 - Long Rhythm - Julius Hemphill, from Raw Materials and Residuals (1977)  Instantly guess-able but I had to include it. Love this record. 

5 - A Chromatic Love Affiar - Harry Carney the Great at Duke Ellington's  Yale Concert (1968)  I've had this on CD for a while, but for whatever reason Carney's playing on this floored me recently and I had to include it here. 

6 - How Deep Is the Ocean - Clifford Jordan from Bearcat ('61 & '62)

7 - Felicite - The Leaders from Out Here Like This (1987) The blues these guys segue into is just so nasty to me.  

8 - Star Flight - Edward Vesala from Satu (1976) 

9 - 45 Degree Angle - Mary Lou Williams from The Jazz Piano (1965)  The big mystery track for this BFT. Glad I could get one by yall! She's got 3 trio songs on this comp and they all smoke. 

10 - El Carbonero - El Combo Candela from El Ritmo Es Correcto! (1983, aka The Rhythm is Right) but my version is from this well-recommended comp (snag it if you want some excellent Cumbia): DJ Dusk Presents La Musica Volume 1

11 - Don't Come Don't Call - New York Jazz Quartet from Oasis (1981)  Frank Wess' two compositions on this album are the best songs there and this is one of them. 

12- Mutton Leg - Illinois Jacquet from The Black Velvet Band (1947) 

13 - Heart's Desire - Charles McPherson from Jazz Dance Suites (2019) Got a tip that McPherson's newest album was a good one, and so went to his site and ordered it. Good move. Here's the link to the McPherson's online store if interested: https://charlesmcpherson.com/store/

14 - By the Sea - Enrico Rava from The Pilgrim & the Stars (1975)

15 - Sky Blues - Sun Ra from Disco 3000, Complete Milan Concert 1978 Sun Ra with Michael Ray, Luqman Ali and John Gilmore. Surprised this was picked so fast, but Gilmore's playing is a clue in the right direction I suppose.

Thanks to everyone that listened in and contributed. It was fun reading the different reactions and guesses. Looking forward to more of these in the future. 

Sorry I never participated, an interesting mix, some definitely not my speed but others certainly enjoyable.

But thanks very much for the link to the McPherson website I am interested in both CDs listed for sale, and just wish they still had larger sizes on his sweet looking t-shirt.

9 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Sorry I never participated, an interesting mix, some definitely not my speed but others certainly enjoyable.

But thanks very much for the link to the McPherson website I am interested in both CDs listed for sale, and just wish they still had larger sizes on his sweet looking t-shirt.

Ha, yeah - small & medium don't cut it for me either. I ended up getting both of those CDs and it was definitely worth it.