Welcome to BFT208!

tkeith

Just now, JSngry said:

I did a shallow dive on AMG for James Carter's credits on contrabass saxophone and didn't find any record that was an obvious DOH! but I guess it's there in the world to be found somewhere...

You WON'T find any record that is obvious.  This was recorded off the radio about 20 years ago.  I have the track personnel, but not the album name.  I've reached out to James for some assistance.  He was gracious and asked me to share the file with him, which I did, but I have not heard back, yet.  It is NOT his date, so there is still lot's to discuss here.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, tkeith said:

You WON'T find any record that is obvious.  This was recorded off the radio about 20 years ago.  I have the track personnel, but not the album name.  I've reached out to James for some assistance.  He was gracious and asked me to share the file with him, which I did, but I have not heard back, yet.  It is NOT his date, so there is still lot's to discuss here.

Whoa - this is some rare stuff indeed :tup

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2021 at 10:46 PM, randyhersom said:

Want to share the personnel with the sleuthing crew?

Alrighty, we're about at the three week mark and James Carter was ID'd as the conrabass clarinetist.  The song is called "Children's Blues" and here is the personnel:  Donald Washington - clarinet, James Carter - contra bass clarinet, Cassius Richmond - alto flute, Faye Washington - flute, Sam Favors - piano, Jeff Bailey - bass, Kevin Washington - drums

Donald Washington was announced as the leader.

https://www.metrotimes.com/detroit/james-carters-loyalty-oath/Content?oid=2148415

For those unfamiliar with Carter's history, he grew up in Detroit the youngest offspring of a talented musical clan. He studied with a number of the Detroit elders, but first and foremost was middle-school saxophonist-educator Donald Washington, who ran a boot camp of a jazz band called Bird-Trane-Sco-Now! (as in Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, the Art Ensemble of Chicago's Roscoe Mitchell and the kids like Carter who were happening now). 

James Carter: It goes back to my musical father, Donald Washington. He always said longevity is the key. The longer a group stays together, the more it becomes of one mind as the relationship and musicianship progresses. Case in point, the classic Coltrane quartet albums Live at the Village Vanguard and One Down One Up. Those recording are great as the result of the band playing together for a while. Those recordings weren't some all-star hookup. 

And 10 continues to elude us.

Wanting to think Sonny Fortune on #10, but can't place an album of him with vibes.  Except for Roy Ayers albums, and this doesn't seem to track to one of them (though Harry Whitaker could fit).

Edited by felser

5 hours ago, felser said:

Wanting to think Sonny Fortune on #10, but can't place an album of him with vibes.  Except for Roy Ayers albums, and this doesn't seem to track to one of them (though Harry Whitaker could fit).

Nope.  I'd say lesser known, but I'd rank this guy ahead of Sonny (most likely would not agree).

13 hours ago, JSngry said:

Eddie Gomez?

Or Stanley Clarke?

Seems like a busy bunch, this group...

Nay.  At the risk of putting some off, I would list this player as more serious.  He also appears elsewhere on this test.

11 hours ago, felser said:

Same guy playing both soprano and flute?

Correct, sir!

9 hours ago, randyhersom said:

Moe Koffman?

Nyet

2 hours ago, randyhersom said:

I don't think you would refer to Bunnett as "this guy" and I don't think Newton doubles on anything not a flute, so Gary Bartz?

I haven't spotted any vibes on Bartz's leader dates on Wikipedia.

No, sir.

56 minutes ago, JSngry said:

You could say Joe Farrell, but I don't think that's a "major" player, although he certainly was a comp[etent and prolific one.

Not Joe.  Later.

45 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Long shot on #10 here but is it Karl Berger on vibes? 

It is not.  I suppose, the misfires are a clue of their own on this one.