Welcome to BFT208!

tkeith

Farrell was the other guy I thought of, but not aware of anything in his discography that would match.   So later than Farrell, vibes player is post-Hutcherson, and it's something I should nail.  Kenny Garrett?  Steve Nelson?  Mulgrew Miller?

Edited by felser

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While I think liking Steve Wilson better than Sonny Fortune is a stretch, he does appear elsewhere on this BFT and Bryan Carrott is also on the same album.

Non-brass horns on oth ertracks in this BFT

1. Jane Bunnett
2. James Carter
3. eddie henderson w donald Harrison
4. Barney McAll w Gary Bartz and Peter APfelbaum
5. James Newton
6. Jazz Crusaders w Wilton Felder
7. Anthony Branker with Steve Wilson, Ralph Bowen
8. Vandermark 5 w Dave Rempis
9. Rollins
11. Tapscott w Steve Smith Aubrey Hart (pic) Adele Sebastian (fl) Jesse Sharps (sop) Gary Bias, Michael Session (as) Fuasi Abdul-Khaliq, Charles Chandler (ts)

3 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Bennie Maupin? Although I can't find anything in his discography that would match this track. 

No, but a much closer neighborhood.  This guy is far less known than Joe, Bennie, et al.

29 minutes ago, randyhersom said:

While I think liking Steve Wilson better than Sonny Fortune is a stretch, he does appear elsewhere on this BFT and Bryan Carrott is also on the same album.

Non-brass horns on oth ertracks in this BFT

1. Jane Bunnett
2. James Carter
3. eddie henderson w donald Harrison
4. Barney McAll w Gary Bartz and Peter APfelbaum
5. James Newton
6. Jazz Crusaders w Wilton Felder
7. Anthony Branker with Steve Wilson, Ralph Bowen
8. Vandermark 5 w Dave Rempis
9. Rollins
11. Tapscott w Steve Smith Aubrey Hart (pic) Adele Sebastian (fl) Jesse Sharps (sop) Gary Bias, Michael Session (as) Fuasi Abdul-Khaliq, Charles Chandler (ts)

To be clear, it is the BASSIST who appears elsewhere.  Although, on second check, the saxophonist ALSO makes multiple appearances.

Edited by tkeith
checked my own error

10 minutes ago, tkeith said:

No, but a much closer neighborhood.  This guy is far less known than Joe, Bennie, et al.

I've been looking around at stuff from Greg Osby, Gary Thomas and Steve Wilson but can't find any matches. Trying to stay "newer" than Joe Farrell. Other than those guys, I can think of Azar Lawrence as someone who would switch from flute to soprano. Fathead would be before Joe F.'s time so not guessing him (oh, and Don Rendell too)

Edited by Dub Modal

34 minutes ago, felser said:

Indeed.  It's the last track from this.  Great album, amazing label.

Oh, snap. I've had that in my basket over at AS for a while now, just havent pulled the trigger (no idea if it's even in stock at this point). Great record and Bias must keep a tight hold on his masters as I dont see this anywhere digitally. 

5 hours ago, felser said:

Indeed.  It's the last track from this.  Great album, amazing label.

Yessah!

5 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Oh, snap. I've had that in my basket over at AS for a while now, just havent pulled the trigger (no idea if it's even in stock at this point). Great record and Bias must keep a tight hold on his masters as I dont see this anywhere digitally. 

This, obviously, is a digitized copy.

I have the Bias CD, grabbed it (and a lot of other titles) from Nimbus West directly back when Tom Albach made much of the catalog available on CD and fulfilled the orders himself.  As JSngry says, grab this stuff when you can, it doesn't last.

Edited by felser

A bit disappointed to find out what this is...that type bass playing (low action hyper aggression) sits worse now for me now than it ever did...which is why I was going in the direction of Eddie Gomez, in particular. That guy lives there (or used to, anyway).

Late but better late then never. I go in blind like I should and read as little as possible in the topic. So forgive me for saying the obvious or making horrible mistakes.

1. I. am no vocal jazz lover but this guy could sing. He sounds pleasant. Nice band. Can't say I recognize any of the players. Tenor sax player sounds like he was influenced by Joe Henderson but it's definitely not him. Great pick.

2. That sounds like a contrabass clarinet or something like that. Only guy I know who plays it is Anthony Braxton but this is not Braxton for sure. Maybe Hammiett Bluiett? But I don't think it is. Nice bluesy feel.

3. Bop in a new jacket? Or is it an old jacket? This is from Eddie Henderson's last record. Nice but he has made more exciting stuff.

4. No idea. Shirley Scott? I am not really into organs. Sax player sounds like one out of a dozen. This is track is a bit too smooth for me. 

5. This is James Newton. I've heard it before but can't remember what track from what album it is. I love me some Newton. 

6. Nice composition. Can't recognize any of the players. 

7. No idea.

8. Sounds like a European band to me. Or perhaps Roswell Rudd on trombone? 

9. Newk! Is this the band with Stanley Cowell on piano? It must be from the '70's.

10. I do not know a lot of flute players. Same goes for vibe players. Is the vibes player Steve Nelson? Nice track.

11. This is Tapscott for sure. One of his last released records. Recently ordered it. Fantastic music.

I found this one pretty difficult. Great selections though thanks Tom

Edited by Pim

On 7/29/2021 at 5:15 AM, Pim said:

Late but better late then never. I go in blind like I should and read as little as possible in the topic. So forgive me for saying the obvious or making horrible mistakes.

1. I. am no vocal jazz lover but this guy could sing. He sounds pleasant. Nice band. Can't say I recognize any of the players. Tenor sax player sounds like he was influenced by Joe Henderson but it's definitely not him. Great pick.

Later contemporary of Joe, on a different path.

2. That sounds like a contrabass clarinet or something like that. Only guy I know who plays it is Anthony Braxton but this is not Braxton for sure. Maybe Hammiett Bluiett? But I don't think it is. Nice bluesy feel.

Definitely Bluiett adjacent.  This one is going to give fits on the ID because it's incomplete. 

3. Bop in a new jacket? Or is it an old jacket? This is from Eddie Henderson's last record. Nice but he has made more exciting stuff.

Agreed, and correct.  I wanted to include a track and needed something uptempo -- this seemed to fit.

4. No idea. Shirley Scott? I am not really into organs. Sax player sounds like one out of a dozen. This is track is a bit too smooth for me. 

This missed for several folks.  This guy is one of the few "modern" writers I really enjoy (keys).  I'll agree to disagree on all of the horn players on this, but especially on the soloist (though it is NOT his best work -- not ALL of our work can be that, right? ;) ).

5. This is James Newton. I've heard it before but can't remember what track from what album it is. I love me some Newton. 

Correct.  This is a newer release, ID'd above.

6. Nice composition. Can't recognize any of the players. 

I took this from the Mosaic set for this band, ID'd above.

7. No idea.

THAT's the response I was looking for!  It *was* ID'd (which gave me fits -- I figured this was one of the tougher ones).  Band leader has an interesting story.

8. Sounds like a European band to me. Or perhaps Roswell Rudd on trombone? 

Neither, but certainly a band content with either of those comps.

9. Newk! Is this the band with Stanley Cowell on piano? It must be from the '70's.

Indeed!  I remember not caring for this album outside of this track (which I bought separate in this digital age), but may have to revisit it.  Just felt it wasn't any of the players "best" work (to refer back), but I should give it another shot.

10. I do not know a lot of flute players. Same goes for vibe players. Is the vibes player Steve Nelson? Nice track.

It is not.  This album has made multiple appearances in BFTs over the years.

11. This is Tapscott for sure. One of his last released records. Recently ordered it. Fantastic music.

Agreed.  I find much of this album more accessible than a lot of the stuff that was released earlier, which seems odd.  No matter -- LOVE me some Tapscott.

I found this one pretty difficult. Great selections though thanks Tom

Thanks!

Will post the reveal tomorrow AM.

Great blog, by the way!

1 hour ago, tkeith said:

Later contemporary of Joe, on a different path.

Definitely Bluiett adjacent.  This one is going to give fits on the ID because it's incomplete. 

Agreed, and correct.  I wanted to include a track and needed something uptempo -- this seemed to fit.

This missed for several folks.  This guy is one of the few "modern" writers I really enjoy (keys).  I'll agree to disagree on all of the horn players on this, but especially on the soloist (though it is NOT his best work -- not ALL of our work can be that, right? ;) ).

Correct.  This is a newer release, ID'd above.

I took this from the Mosaic set for this band, ID'd above.

THAT's the response I was looking for!  It *was* ID'd (which gave me fits -- I figured this was one of the tougher ones).  Band leader has an interesting story.

Neither, but certainly a band content with either of those comps.

Indeed!  I remember not caring for this album outside of this track (which I bought separate in this digital age), but may have to revisit it.  Just felt it wasn't any of the players "best" work (to refer back), but I should give it another shot.

It is not.  This album has made multiple appearances in BFTs over the years.

Agreed.  I find much of this album more accessible than a lot of the stuff that was released earlier, which seems odd.  No matter -- LOVE me some Tapscott.

Thanks!

Will post the reveal tomorrow AM.

Great blog, by the way!

Thanks Tom! I will hold myself back and just wait for your reveal tomorrow :)