Welcome to BFT208!

tkeith

10) no idea on this one.

11) sounding like Tapscott's Pan-African band.

Yeah, I think just those seven tracks of 11 -
can't figure out the others,
tho I feel like I've heard both 2 and 11 before.

Like this mix a lot! Only listened to 207 and 208
(well, I helped some with another one), but I've
been clearly missing out!

Edited by rostasi

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Would track 3 be by that Blakey band with Terence Blanchard, Donald Harrison and Mulgrew Miller?

It would not.

Track 6 is the Jazz Crusaders ‘Freedom Sound’ I think, on PJ. Wilton Felder, Wayne Henderson, Joe Sample, Stix Hooper. On bass I think it was Jimmy Bond.

Ding! Ding!

Track 9 Sonny Rollins ‘A House Is Not A Home’. Wasn’t that one on the ‘Cutting Edge’ album? That would be with Bob Cranshaw, David Lee, Masuo on guitar and Rufus Harley on soprano. There’s a great video version of this one filmed at Ronnie Scott’s.

Ding! Ding!

2 hours ago, Milestones said:

#9 is " A House is Not a Home."  This performance is very laid back.  It sounds a bit like Sonny in "island" mode, but it's not intense enough to be him.  I like the Jackie McLean version, which is very intense indeed.  

First impressions would be king!  sidewinder scored on this one.

2 hours ago, rostasi said:

OK, maybe I'll kinda tease these out...

1) There's no illusion that this is a good album...

3) OK, here's the deal...

4) A good release that gives its all...

6) A good deal of freedom, but no "Young Rabbits."

7) Bless this sacred tune...

8) Why would anyone need 5 german telephones?

9) Oh, home on the edge

still have 10 and 11 to listen to - next hour...

I see what you did there.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Ok, took a break after #4, gonna try to do the rest now.

TRACK FIVE - A James Newton joint? Mingus-ian structure, harmonically. Maybe Nicole Mitchell, but I haven't kept up with her copious output the way I'd like to. But Newton....that guy can play anthing on his insterumen. Oh, it's live! Then I have no idea. Oh, John Carter? Is this off that new/old Roberta Miranda joint? Only listened to it a few times, not enough to really internalize the specifics. I like it.

Newton!  Ding! Ding!  RMM -- Ding! Ding!

TRACK SIX - a staple of the Bob Steward all-nite jazz show. He'd play it during the day when he moved there, and again when he moved back to night, but it never sounded better than it did at night, before all the scratches got on the record. It's a Texas thin, for sure!

TRACK SEVEN - I like it, and could like it more if....if I liked it more. Alto player is good, but...same thing.

I get you.  This album has really grown on me.

TRACK EIGHT - Sounds like Mangelsdorff & Heinz Sauer? From Now Jazz Ramwong? I got that on Pacific Jazz back in the day as a cutout, then sold it a decade later, then rebought after a decade after that. Some kids never learn. No, wait, there's a clarinet...no idea. but it has that mid-60s German feel to it for me.

Nope, but I see how you got there.

TRACK NINE - The unmistakable sound of Stan Getz, the master of melody...who else would play that song? :g or have a rhythm section of Stanley Cowell, Bob Cranshaw, David Lee, & Mtume? Who else indeed....

TRACK TEN - seems like Hutch, McCoy, Jimmy Heath (on soprano) trying to think of some Columbia superproject, not coming up with anything, though. That bass playing is a bit sloppy, no? Catchy tune...a TV theme, maybe? Or not. Leaves me wanting more, although I'm sure back in the day I would have loved it?

Not Hutch, but his influence is definitely here.

TRACK ELEVEN - Damn dude, is that a 78? Sounds like Leon Thomas singing Gospel about Africa? But on a 78? Something's not adding up! Especially since it sounds like a Horace Silver tune! I give up, sounds like a timetrap!

Geography is off.

Pretty good stuff, thanks!

DAMN! Who knew?

I need to look for that one!

Thanks, Jim.  Always nervous to pass the Sangry test!  :D

The trombone style and intonation on track 8 has a hint of 60s Roswell Rudd about it. From one of his Impulse appearances?  Having said that, there’s some Mangelsdorffian overtones at times.

Track 10 - Would that be Joe Locke on vibes, with Tim Garland on flute and soprano?  The vibes have influence of Hutcherson and Burton but I don’t think it’s either of those guys.

Nope2

1 hour ago, rostasi said:

10) no idea on this one.

11) sounding like Tapscott's Pan-African band.

Yeah, I think just those seven tracks of 11 -
can't figure out the others,
tho I feel like I've heard both 2 and 11 before.

Like this mix a lot! Only listened to 207 and 208
(well, I helped some with another one), but I've
been clearly missing out!

Correct band on 11.  Any shot at being more specific?

1 – Nice vocal version of Stanley Cowell’s wonderful “Maimoun”, though it likely has a different title for this version.  I like the reference to “sweet illusion”, a nod the Cowell’s great ‘Illusion Suite” album which “Maimoun” was on (also on Clifford Jordan’s masterpiece, ‘Glass Bead Games’).   No idea who the singer is.  Wouldn’t mind owning this.  The flute solo works.   The tenor not so much for me, sounds like an older player influenced by Jordan but more off-center.    I like the piano and bass solos.  Great start.

2 – Well, they certainly take their time getting there, but I enjoy the journey.  Nice, loose feel with the horns very conversational and the bass walk soulful.   Two flutes, and two bass clarinets if I am hearing right?  Overdubs?  Very enjoyable on its own terms.

3 – Right in my wheelhouse, bring it on!  The bass player is pre-Stanley Clarke, holding a solid groove.  Trumpet player has a nice Blue Mitchell vibe, and is quite good.    Tenor player gets it done, has heard Coltrane but not swallowed him whole.   Pianist wastes no notes, Cedar Walton type of groove.  Wonderful composition.  Gotta get it if I don’t have it (though I would hope I do have it already).  I’ll be shocked if this turns out to be latter day musicians, the feeling is there.

4 – Interesting instrumentation, both organ and electric piano.   I would think this is 70’s origin with that combination and that groove.  Nice feel, but to me the cut overstays its welcome by half.  Pleasant listening as background music, but there’s not really all that much happening. 

5 – Well played, but faded into the background for me, took so long to get started.  I’m sure there are others who will love this cut.  Flute player sure sounds like Eric Dolphy, and is the highlight of the cut for me, but the style is too late to be Dolphy.  That would then be James Newton, I guess.   Clarinet player is good, lot of clarinet on this BFT!  Two just on this cut.  Should probably be a clue for me.

6 – I’ll take what you’re gimme-ing, and make mine a double, love love love it, the title track from this.

7 – Felt like an extended introduction to the cut, and I kept waiting for it to start, and suddenly the tenor is soloing on the introduction.  Again, well-played, pretty background music which does not grab my undivided attention.  Post-70’s ECM?  If not, certainly influenced by that.

8 – More to my liking for sure.  Sounds like it is sourced from vinyl?   Worth the effort.  Great groove, love the walking bass.   Trombone playing is fabulous, and shows the influences of several generations of players.   This cut is a keeper if available on CD.

9 –  Again, if you’re giving it away, I’m taking it.  What’s not to like?  Side 2, cut 1 from this.

10 – Works for me.   Also a lot of flute on this BFT, and this flute player is really good.   Flute and vibes is such a good combination.   And the soprano player controls that instrument well.   Bass player is post-Stanley Clarke, with all those flutters.   Whatever this is, would love to have it on my shelves.

11 – That’s one nasty scratch across that vinyl.  We really need to hang out together and listen to some music.  Cut five from this I would think, though there must have been a previous vinyl release with it.

Love the BFT, of course, always love yours!  Can’t wait for some of the reveals, thanks!

Correct band on 11.  Any shot at being more specific?

I'ma gonna listen again - I know this from somewhere.

(yeah, I think felser has beat me to it :g)

Do you need my exact answers on the 7 I know now - or should I wait for others to chime in?

Edited by rostasi

1 minute ago, felser said:

1 – Nice vocal version of Stanley Cowell’s wonderful “Maimoun”, though it likely has a different title for this version.  I like the reference to “sweet illusion”, a nod the Cowell’s great ‘Illusion Suite” album which “Maimoun” was on (also on Clifford Jordan’s masterpiece, ‘Glass Bead Games’).   No idea who the singer is.  Wouldn’t mind owning this.  The flute solo works.   The tenor not so much for me, sounds like an older player influenced by Jordan but more off-center.    I like the piano and bass solos.  Great start.

In general, you might like the tenor better than that.  This was ID'd, but you're smack on with the song and it's origins.

2 – Well, they certainly take their time getting there, but I enjoy the journey.  Nice, loose feel with the horns very conversational and the bass walk soulful.   Two flutes, and two bass clarinets if I am hearing right?  Overdubs?  Very enjoyable on its own terms.

This one is going to frustrate many in the reveal.

3 – Right in my wheelhouse, bring it on!  The bass player is pre-Stanley Clarke, holding a solid groove.  Trumpet player has a nice Blue Mitchell vibe, and is quite good.    Tenor player gets it done, has heard Coltrane but not swallowed him whole.   Pianist wastes no notes, Cedar Walton type of groove.  Wonderful composition.  Gotta get it if I don’t have it (though I would hope I do have it already).  I’ll be shocked if this turns out to be latter day musicians, the feeling is there.

You're all over this.

4 – Interesting instrumentation, both organ and electric piano.   I would think this is 70’s origin with that combination and that groove.  Nice feel, but to me the cut overstays its welcome by half.  Pleasant listening as background music, but there’s not really all that much happening. 

I see how you get there, but this is what this guy does.  It's his thing.  Really gotten to enjoy his writing.

5 – Well played, but faded into the background for me, took so long to get started.  I’m sure there are others who will love this cut.  Flute player sure sounds like Eric Dolphy, and is the highlight of the cut for me, but the style is too late to be Dolphy.  That would then be James Newton, I guess.   Clarinet player is good, lot of clarinet on this BFT!  Two just on this cut.  Should probably be a clue for me.

Newton, for sure.  This one grows quickly (the whole album, really).

6 – I’ll take what you’re gimme-ing, and make mine a double, love love love it, the title track from this.

Yessah!

7 – Felt like an extended introduction to the cut, and I kept waiting for it to start, and suddenly the tenor is soloing on the introduction.  Again, well-played, pretty background music which does not grab my undivided attention.  Post-70’s ECM?  If not, certainly influenced by that.

Mayhaps.  Again, this album has really grown on me.

8 – More to my liking for sure.  Sounds like it is sourced from vinyl?   Worth the effort.  Great groove, love the walking bass.   Trombone playing is fabulous, and shows the influences of several generations of players.   This cut is a keeper if available on CD.

This one may be more of a surprise than I intended.

9 –  Again, if you’re giving it away, I’m taking it.  What’s not to like?  Side 2, cut 1 from this.

Right?

10 – Works for me.   Also a lot of flute on this BFT, and this flute player is really good.   Flute and vibes is such a good combination.   And the soprano player controls that instrument well.   Bass player is post-Stanley Clarke, with all those flutters.   Whatever this is, would love to have it on my shelves.

I think you would.

11 – That’s one nasty scratch across that vinyl.  We really need to hang out together and listen to some music.  Cut five from this I would think, though there must have been a previous vinyl release with it.

I think the scratch you're hearing may actually be a digital scratch.  It's the digital download of that album.

Love the BFT, of course, always love yours!  Can’t wait for some of the reveals, thanks!

Glad to drop it.

6 minutes ago, rostasi said:

I'ma gonna listen again - I know this from somewhere.

(yeah, I think felser has beat me to it :g)

Do you need my exact answers on the 7 I know now - or should I wait for others to chime in?

Go right ahead -- I think most try to answer before reading.

1) Jane Bunnett: Illusion Suite (Spirituals & Dedications)

3) Eddie Henderson ‎– Shuffle and Deal (Shuffle and Deal)

4) Barney McAll: Release the Day (Release the Day)

6) The Jazz Crusaders ‎– Freedom Sound (Freedom Sound)

7) Anthony Branker: Sacred Song (Blessings)

8) Vandermark 5: Telefon (I can’t tell which album this is from tho.
I know there are about three versions on that box set with the
green cover and I think it’s on Elements of Style, but not sure yet…)

9) Sonny Rollins: A House Is Not a Home (Cutting Edge)

4 minutes ago, rostasi said:

1) Jane Bunnett: Illusion Suite (Spirituals & Dedications)

Yes.

3) Eddie Henderson ‎– Shuffle and Deal (Shuffle and Deal)

Fact.

4) Barney McAll: Release the Day (Release the Day)

Quite right.

6) The Jazz Crusaders ‎– Freedom Sound (Freedom Sound)

Indeed.

7) Anthony Branker: Sacred Song (Blessings)

Yes.  The second track from this I've featured on a BFT.

8) Vandermark 5: Telefon (I can’t tell which album this is from tho.
I know there are about three versions on that box set with the
green cover and I think it’s on Elements of Style, but not sure yet…)

KVM, for sure.

9) Sonny Rollins: A House Is Not a Home (Cutting Edge)

No doubt.

37 minutes ago, tkeith said:

Negative, sir.

Well then, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this is a 21st century recording and that the players are not necessarily "organic" to the traditions they are putting forth here?

I hope I'm wrong, because then I will be interested in finding out who it/they are, because I do like the track. But there's a part of it that feels a little "easy" to me, like they are putting this together because it was already there to be used. They did a good job, for sure!

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Well then, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this is a 21st century recording and that the players are not necessarily "organic" to the traditions they are putting forth here?

I hope I'm wrong, because then I will be interested in finding out who it/they are, because I do like the track. But there's a part of it that feels a little "easy" to me, like they are putting this together because it was already there to be used. They did a good job, for sure!

This is easily the most challenging track in the bunch.  I'll put it this way:  NONE of what you have said is incorrect.

2 minutes ago, JSngry said:

to the live playing? Or to the sampling? Or is it maybe both?

wml0322.jpg

I believed it to be a full session, but at least one of the players is sort of noted for doing "cameos", so it's a fair guess that the recording is the result of multiple sessions.  #natureOfTheBeast

Also, Fred Allen was hilarious.

1 minute ago, tkeith said:

Correct, sir.  Though Spotify lists it as Telefon.

Yeah, Amazon does too.
Just goes to show you what happens
when one relies on downloads sometimes.
Had this problem in the last BFT.
Sometimes, gotta wonder if the names
become all that important after you've
been immersing yourself in the sounds.
Could be the subject of a new thread!

Just listening online while working on something and realized what was going on with some of the comments.  The ticking noise on Track 11 is because I remixed the file to trim some clapping using Garageband.  What you're hearing is the damned metronome -- didn't realize it was set to "on".  I've fixed the file in both the player and the download.  Sorry 'bout that.