Rodney Dangerfield Jams With Gerald Wilson

JSngry

I did his show for a week, and I got tired of hearing the same jokes, so brought a book to read while I was in the pit.

He saw me reading and he said to the audience, "I tell ya I get no respect, even the guitar player isn't listening to me anymore- he's reading a book!"

It was a huge theater, and the whole place was laughing at me. The contractor motioned me to put the book away. He was not happy.

On 7/3/2021 at 1:50 PM, sgcim said:

I did his show for a week, and I got tired of hearing the same jokes, so brought a book to read while I was in the pit.

He saw me reading and he said to the audience, "I tell ya I get no respect, even the guitar player isn't listening to me anymore- he's reading a book!"

It was a huge theater, and the whole place was laughing at me. The contractor motioned me to put the book away. He was not happy.

wait hold on back up like ten steps: you were the inspiration of one of rodneys classic one liners?  very impressive my guy.  So you were not in the gerald wilson big band, but you were in another studio band, that was on his show one time?

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

who can we identify in this band? I can see Jimmy Cleveland, Anthony Ortega(?), Jerome Richardson, and John Collins. The outermsot flutist looks very familiar, but I can't call a name. Same for a few others.

I think the black flute/piccolo player on our left is likely Bill Green.

Edited by Mark Stryker

18 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

wait hold on back up like ten steps: you were the inspiration of one of rodneys classic one liners?  very impressive my guy.  So you were not in the gerald wilson big band, but you were in another studio band, that was on his show one time?

He had been using that line for ages before he used it to publicly disgrace and humiliate me. He just saw me with my head down, and spontaneously used it on me.

I was working at a big theater in NY as part of the house band, along with such greats as Charlie Fowlkes, George Barrow, Steve Small, Jimmy Knepper, etc...

The shows would always have three acts we'd have to play for- a comedian, an opener, and then the star. I did so many of those shows, I can't remember who the star was- Eddie Fisher, Sandler and Young, Mitzi Gaynor, Sister Sledge, Connie Francis, Al Martino, Jerry Vale, Melba Moore, Michael Amante, etc...? It's all a big blur.