Bud Powell - 1962 Copenhagen

mjzee

I know the stuff  and it´s great to hear Bud with horns, which I like most. 
Brew Moore and Byas are on Rifftide, Byas plays I remember Clifford (Brew out), and so on. 

It´s very interesting to listen to Bud with Brew after listening to Bud with Zoot. This is two Lester Young influenced players, and Bud has a great ability to adapt his playing to this style, he plays great as ever, but in a ....a bit more relaxed manner. 

Bud with Byas was quite often, on the CBS CD in Paris (Tribute to Cannonball), on "Americans in Europe" etc etc. 

Bud, as great as he is, is even greater when he can play with some good horns, like on "Blakey in Paris 1959" "Hawk in Germany 1960", with Barney Wilen, with Clark Terry, and so on.
It´s really a pity, that on his last extended gig at Birdland in autumn 64 they didn´t make no effort to add a horn player on some occasions. Bud sometimes seemed to be bored to play so much trio music, carrying the load alone. A good trumpet, sax, trombone , and he becomes really inspired....

is it a reissue of this Japanese Marshmallow release? (from Lord online disco)

P5739.10]Your CollectionAdd   Bud Powell
  TV Studio, Copenhagen, Denmark, September 21, 1962
  Rifftide (1) Marshmallow (Jap)MMEX-154 [CD]
  I remember Clifford (2)            -
  Anthropology (1,2)            -
[P5739.20]Your CollectionAdd   Bud Powell
  NRK Studios, Oslo, Norway, September 25 or 26, 1962
  Dance of the infidels Marshmallow (Jap)MMEX-154 [CD]
  I remember Clifford            -
  Hot house            -
  52nd Street theme            -
[P5739.30]Your CollectionAdd   Bud Powell
  Live "Radio Concert Hall", Copenhagen, Denmark, October, 1962
  Introduction Marshmallow (Jap)MMEX-154 [CD]
  Anthropology            -
  Like someone in love            -
  Straight no chaser            -
  'Round midnight            -
Note: The Bud Powell discography by Claude Schlouch lists recording venue as Cafe Montmartre.

where's SteepleChase's website?

https://www.steeplechase.dk/      this just gives you an email address

Edited by romualdo

3 hours ago, romualdo said:

is it a reissue of this Japanese Marshmallow release? (from Lord online disco)

P5739.10]Your CollectionAdd   Bud Powell
  TV Studio, Copenhagen, Denmark, September 21, 1962
  Rifftide (1) Marshmallow (Jap)MMEX-154 [CD]
  I remember Clifford (2)            -
  Anthropology (1,2)            -
[P5739.20]Your CollectionAdd   Bud Powell
  NRK Studios, Oslo, Norway, September 25 or 26, 1962
  Dance of the infidels Marshmallow (Jap)MMEX-154 [CD]
  I remember Clifford            -
  Hot house            -
[P5739.30]Your CollectionAdd   Bud Powell
  Live "Radio Concert Hall", Copenhagen, Denmark, October, 1962
  Introduction Marshmallow (Jap)MMEX-154 [CD]
  Anthropology            -
  Like someone in love            -
  Straight no chaser            -
  'Round midnight            -
Note: The Bud Powell discography by Claude Schlouch lists recording venue as Cafe Montmartre.

where's SteepleChase's website?

https://www.steeplechase.dk/      this just gives you an email address

Thats the stuff I allready have. So I don´t think I will buy the Steeplechase now. And as I said, the most interesting things are those with Byas and Brew. 

But the most stunning trio performances on video I saw, is also from Copenhaga with I think Anthropology played really fast and at it´s best, incredible !!! and one of the greatest versions of "Midnight" I ever heard. And Bud seems to flirt with a young lady from the audience, he always looks at her and smiles and obviously plays especially for her. 

On 2021/7/5 at 8:12 AM, mjzee said:

Release date August 15:

81RB4eP1FuS._SL1417_.jpg

No other information given on the Amazon page.  Interesting that jazzdisco does not list any 1962 sessions with Moore or Byas (or Elniff).

I'm aware of their existence, but forgot to update jazzdisco.  I don't have much free time lately, but hopefully this summer vacation...

On 2021/7/7 at 7:13 PM, Gheorghe said:

Thats the stuff I allready have. So I don´t think I will buy the Steeplechase now. And as I said, the most interesting things are those with Byas and Brew. 

But the most stunning trio performances on video I saw, is also from Copenhaga with I think Anthropology played really fast and at it´s best, incredible !!! and one of the greatest versions of "Midnight" I ever heard. And Bud seems to flirt with a young lady from the audience, he always looks at her and smiles and obviously plays especially for her. 

I remember "Rifftide" had a small dropout in the beginning.  I hope they could find a way to fix it (or find a better tape).   

Bud in 1962 has been an enigma for me.  Bud was in a generally miserable state 1959-1961, but somehow "recovered" this year and played VERY well.  Even close to his prime (1947-1953), I can say.  What happened to him?  Live recordings from Lausanne, Geneva, or studio one with NHOP can confirm that.

10 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Is it confirmed that this duplicate the Marshmallow disc, exactly?

I have not listened it yet, so not really "confirmed", but I'm pretty sure it's from the same source.

Edited by mhatta

4 hours ago, mhatta said:

I remember "Rifftide" had a small dropout in the beginning.  I hope they could find a way to fix it (or find a better tape).   

Bud in 1962 has been an enigma for me.  Bud was in a generally miserable state 1959-1961, but somehow "recovered" this year and played VERY well.  Even close to his prime (1947-1953), I can say.  What happened to him?  Live recordings from Lausanne, Geneva, or studio one with NHOP can confirm that.

I have not listened it yet, so not really "confirmed", but I'm pretty sure it's from the same source.

Yes, I also have that small dropout in the beginning of "Rifftide".

You say, that Bud was in a generally miserable state in 1959 - 1961. I´m not sure if I can agree to this. 
His recordings from that time, mostly live show Bud in top form: 

1959 Blakey in Paris (Bud replacing Walter Davis on Side One on "Bouncing with Bud" and "Dance of the Infidels".
1960 Hawk in Germany (or: Essen Festival Allstars). This is also Bud at his best.
1961 Tribute to Cannonball (with Byas and Idrees Sulieman). 

I agree with you that there ar very good performances in 1962 from Switzerland, Denmark and for a lesser amount Sweden Golden Circle. But especially Golden Circle is quite a routine. Blues Themes that run 15 minutes, 18 minutes and even 20 minutes , and on the later published "Budism" there are some performances, that really sound sad and remind me of the shake 1954/55 recordings. 
But it´s interesting, that Bud didn´t play much in Paris in 1962. He seemed to tour Switzerland and Scandinavia most of the time. 

21 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Yes, I also have that small dropout in the beginning of "Rifftide".

You say, that Bud was in a generally miserable state in 1959 - 1961. I´m not sure if I can agree to this. 
His recordings from that time, mostly live show Bud in top form: 

1959 Blakey in Paris (Bud replacing Walter Davis on Side One on "Bouncing with Bud" and "Dance of the Infidels".
1960 Hawk in Germany (or: Essen Festival Allstars). This is also Bud at his best.
1961 Tribute to Cannonball (with Byas and Idrees Sulieman). 

I agree with you that there ar very good performances in 1962 from Switzerland, Denmark and for a lesser amount Sweden Golden Circle. But especially Golden Circle is quite a routine. Blues Themes that run 15 minutes, 18 minutes and even 20 minutes , and on the later published "Budism" there are some performances, that really sound sad and remind me of the shake 1954/55 recordings. 
But it´s interesting, that Bud didn´t play much in Paris in 1962. He seemed to tour Switzerland and Scandinavia most of the time. 

Yeah, I heartily agree that there are several goodies from this period.  Especially your mentioned "Essen Jazz Festival" (features one of the best rendition of "All The Things You Are").

But I tend to think Bud's technical facility was never recovered back to the level of his younger days (like the days of "Tempus Fugit" or "Un Poco Loco").  Oftentimes his playing is still inspired, but pianistic execution is muddy at best and sometimes he didn't even remember the chord progression of his own compositions.  I love deep, melancholic Bud of later years, but I can't say it's comparable with his brilliant earlier works.

However, for some reason, sometimes, his technique is largely back in 1962.  Not perfect, but still very good execution and the coherent flow of brilliant ideas.  Like this:

36 minutes ago, mhatta said:

Yeah, I heartily agree that there are several goodies from this period.  Especially your mentioned "Essen Jazz Festival" (features one of the best rendition of "All The Things You Are").

But I tend to think Bud's technical facility was never recovered back to the level of his younger days (like the days of "Tempus Fugit" or "Un Poco Loco").  Oftentimes his playing is still inspired, but pianistic execution is muddy at best and sometimes he didn't even remember the chord progression of his own compositions.  I love deep, melancholic Bud of later years, but I can't say it's comparable with his brilliant earlier works.

However, for some reason, sometimes, his technique is largely back in 1962.  Not perfect, but still very good execution and the coherent flow of brilliant ideas.  Like this:

Yes, and of course I have that album. All God´s Chillun was one of his favourites, he always played it great, like the bop line based on the same chords: "Little Willie Leaps". 

I read your very very interesting analysis of Bud´s style and appreciate it very much to read from another Bud Powell fan. 

You mention that in later years his piano execution sometimes  becomes "muddy". 
I try now to remind , which of his sessions I thought that it were somewhat below his peak 
and the first that come to my mind are those from late 1954 and early 1955, but as early as March 1955 he came back to action. His first tune "Conception" on that Verve album is one of my favourites. 
I´d say his albums for Victor are not so good, especially "Strictly Powell" becomes a bit boaring,
Many people say they don´t like "The Return of Bud Powell" from october 1964, but IMHO the only "fault" is that he flubs a bit on the octaves of "I Know that you Know". But he recovers quickly. 
Searching "mistakes" reminds me of some event I witnessed when I was about 19,20 years old: Two ladies took me to the opera, I am not really used to classical music but found it sounds good and enjoyed it. But during the break and after the concert those two ladies made jokes on some female singer that she didn´t hit a high note properly and on an other point faultered. 
I didn´t know what they was talkin about and asked "why you say this ?" 
They answered "that´s part of the game" and I couldn´t believe it. You go to some opera to enjoy it and then complain that it didn´t sound good and even make jokes out of it.

I always remember this incident if I hear people say that Bud didn´t sound good  if he "flubs a little on a theme and stuff......"

In my opinion Bud was one of the foremost creators of bop, like Bird, like Diz, like Fats, Max Roach etc. 
And bop means group playing. On the very early recordings of Bud they didn´t really record the drums, even if it was someone as great as Roach. That´s why I like many of his later records, you don´t hear only his piano, you hear what the bass does, and above all, what the drummer does. That´s why I really like those with Kenny Clarke also...

• 1 month later...

Information for those interested

BUD POWELL 1962 COPENHAGEN

Bud Powell (p), Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen (b), Jörn Elniff (dm)

Radio Concert Hall, Copenhagen, Denmark, March 25, 1962

Anthropology

Like Someone In Love

Straight No Chaser

Round About Midnight

52nd Street Theme

Note:   All titles also on Steeplechase (Den) SCCD36040 (better sound quality).

All titles previously issued on Marskmallow (Jap) MMEX-154-CD

Bud Powell (p), Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen (b), Jörn Elniff (dm)

Jazzhus Montmartre, Copenhagen, Denmark, April 1962

Blues In The Closet

Anthropology

Round Midnight

Note:   All titles on Steeplechase (Den) SCCD36040 (better sound quality).

Brew Moore-1, Don Byas-2 (ts), Bud Powell (p), Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen (b), Jörn Elniff (dm)

Denmark Radio TV studio, Copenhagen, Denmark, August 1962

Hackensack (edited)                                      1

I Remember Clifford                                           2

Anthropology                                                  1,  2

Note:   All titles on Steeplechase (Den) SCCD36040 (better sound quality).

All titles previously issued on Marshmallow (Jap) MMEX-154-CD “Bud Powell in Scandinavia” with a cut on Hackensack mistitled Rifftide.

Edited by Claude Schlouch
change