Bud Powell - 1962 Copenhagen

mjzee

1 hour ago, Claude Schlouch said:

Ten minutes ago  I ordered the Stockholm Oslo CD forthcoming on next November 2021 at the FNAC.

Yes, that's also now up for preorder on Amazon:

71Rt8XK38mS._SL1417_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/1962-Stockholm-Oslo-Bud-Powell/dp/B097XB8YHT/ref=sr_1_119?dchild=1&qid=1629669534&refinements=p_n_date%3A1249114011&rnid=1249111011&s=music&sr=1-119

Listening to the entire disc right now. One should have no fear for the sound--the origina recordings are really good and the mastering is very nicely done. Performances are excellent as well--Bud in fine form, accompanists and Moore and Byas are right there with him as well.

Looking forward to Stockholm/Oslo!

Edit to add: there's some tape anamolies on the session with Moore and Byas that appear after Moore's solo cut, or perhaps the remaining two tracks were LP dubs. But nothing that prevents one from getting really into the fine playing.

Edited by jazzbo

On 23.8.2021 at 2:41 PM, jazzbo said:

Listening to the entire disc right now. One should have no fear for the sound--the origina recordings are really good and the mastering is very nicely done. Performances are excellent as well--Bud in fine form, accompanists and Moore and Byas are right there with him as well.

Looking forward to Stockholm/Oslo!

Edit to add: there's some tape anamolies on the session with Moore and Byas that appear after Moore's solo cut, or perhaps the remaining two tracks were LP dubs. But nothing that prevents one from getting really into the fine playing.

Yes, agree to everything. Especially that Bud is in best form with horn players, like Byas and here the rare encounter with Moore. There is another wonderful set of Bud with a Lestorian tenorist (Zoot Sims) from Paris also (I have it on Mythic Sound, but it is also on the CD version of the ESP record. 

The tape anamolies are also on my copy of the session with Moore, but I didn´t buy this one since I already have it from the Francis Paudras archives...., it´s the same on that....

• 3 weeks later...

I just had a chance to listen to this and it is certainly very worthwhile.   For some reason, I didn't have any of these recordings before even though I have a large Bud collection, including the majority of Francis Paudras tapes.   

I have to admit feeling slightly disappointed when listening, given that these recordings are from March, 1962 and Bud seemed to be on white heat fire in January and February (Lausanne and Geneva).  But this is more usual early 60s Bud, more like the Golden Circle recordings from April, which is to stay still very good and engaging.  The tracks with Don Byas and Brew Moore are my favorites on the disc.  

18 hours ago, John L said:

I just had a chance to listen to this and it is certainly very worthwhile.   For some reason, I didn't have any of these recordings before even though I have a large Bud collection, including the majority of Francis Paudras tapes.   

I have to admit feeling slightly disappointed when listening, given that these recordings are from March, 1962 and Bud seemed to be on white heat fire in January and February (Lausanne and Geneva).  But this is more usual early 60s Bud, more like the Golden Circle recordings from April, which is to stay still very good and engaging.  The tracks with Don Byas and Brew Moore are my favorites on the disc.  

I think until his last occasion to perform it always depended what mood Bud was into. Something had to do with the quantities of  Largatyle Buttercup gave him, sometimes it was that someone gave him a drink or he cadged a drink, or sometimes it may have been frustration (his comeback to NY, where he found out that the only purpose was paying back his depts for hospital bills, not "handling his own dough") . So even in the course of an evening it could happen that it started great and then the next set was not up to his standards. 

Look at the video from Denmark, were Bud plays "Round Midnight" almost exclusivly for a young lady, who looks just fascinated and lits a cigarette, and Bud smiles to her and seems to talk to her through that wonderful music. The best version of Midnight I ever heard or saw.....

In Sweden he himself says on Vol. 5 how much he enjoyed his stay. But some pieces are only routine, like the over long "Straight No Chaser" and "Blues for Closet". Maybe he had troubles with the rhythm section and decided to play medium tempo blues form for that reason. Few days later in Denmark he made one of his best studio albums with 15 year old NHOP. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/22/2021 at 5:00 PM, mjzee said:

Anyone have a good source for SteepleChase new releases?  Amazon wants $26.99.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Love Bud’s “Straight No Chaser” solo on the recent Stockholm 1962 CD. Wonderful that performances like this keep surfacing… more evidence of how often he could still summon melodic verve and the emotional intensity of his previous work in this era. I probably listen more to early-1960s Bud than any other period in recent years, though that may be a result of having listened so frequently to the classic 1945-53 recordings over the years that I’m often more curious to revisit the expatriate sides. Or to hear new releases from that late 1950s/early 60s stretch like this one, which gets filed in my head under “Bud in good form.”

Bud, if he was right, was still great in the 60´s , but especially in Stockholm , maybe due to a rhythm section who didn´t know very much of Bud´s repertory, he tended to play super long blues tracks, Blues in the Closet, Straight No Chaser, Swedish Pastry, over and over again. 

His best performances until the end were when he could play with fellows who knew his music. But traveling as a single with local rhythm sections must be a drag....