Rick Laird, R.I.P.

mjzee

RIP indeed.

It was interesting to find out just how much of a "straight ahead" player he had been before Mahavishnu, not at all one of the chomping-at-the-bit type who were compelled to push the barriers and add the rock electric. But there he was, and there he did. and then there he wasn't.

I went on a mini-OG MAhavishnu binge last year, too just a few days (those records weren't very long, so total-immersion in all 4 (yes, counting Trident) was not difficult, and yes, they were more or less all the same record when you get down to it, but, still, powerful and certainly paradigm-changing music. And there Rick Laird was, holding it down like a rock (no pun intended).

I still wonder...here he was, walking the upright and all of a sudden, 17/8 and shit, loud music and loud egos...how many times did he ask himself how the hell did I get here?

1 hour ago, BillF said:

Victor Feldman (pno), Rick Laird (bs), Ronnie Stevenson (dms)

Yes, he was in the Ronnie Scott house rhythm section in the mid 60s. That one is from Jazz 625 I think. Venue - the Marquee?

RIP - a very solid bassist.

Edited by sidewinder

8 hours ago, JSngry said:

RIP indeed.

It was interesting to find out just how much of a "straight ahead" player he had been before Mahavishnu, not at all one of the chomping-at-the-bit type who were compelled to push the barriers and add the rock electric. But there he was, and there he did. and then there he wasn't.

I went on a mini-OG MAhavishnu binge last year, too just a few days (those records weren't very long, so total-immersion in all 4 (yes, counting Trident) was not difficult, and yes, they were more or less all the same record when you get down to it, but, still, powerful and certainly paradigm-changing music. And there Rick Laird was, holding it down like a rock (no pun intended).

I still wonder...here he was, walking the upright and all of a sudden, 17/8 and shit, loud music and loud egos...how many times did he ask himself how the hell did I get here?

IMHO the presence of relatively low key band members like Laird and Jerry Goodman is part of what made the 1st MO lineup the best one

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

RIP indeed.

Probably drove him into photography. RIP, Mr Laird.

18 hours ago, JSngry said:

RIP indeed.

It was interesting to find out just how much of a "straight ahead" player he had been before Mahavishnu, not at all one of the chomping-at-the-bit type who were compelled to push the barriers and add the rock electric. 

He was that after Mahavishnu just as well. I remember hearing him in a local club in the 1980's backing Joe Henderson . IIRC he made an LP as a leader around that time, too.

Yes, that's the one. That was the quartet Joe took on tour. So it was 1976 ... Joe toured here so often. I knew it with a different cover:

R-3676757-1483667903-5232.jpeg.jpg

The same quartet recorded another LP under pianist Tom Grant's name for Timeless:

mR-3742156-1347612468-5605.jpeg.jpg

Laird plays nicely on this Gerry Niewood LP, too:

R-2794417-1410104649-5451.jpeg.jpg

Edited by mikeweil