NYT: A 1970 Live Album Offers a New Perspective on Roy Brooks’s Jazz

Got it on order at Landlocked here in Bloomington, along with the Hargrove/Miller and Bill Evans releases that come out the same day.

On 7/14/2021 at 11:55 PM, mhatta said:

Nice article.  I am glad it mentioned "The Free Slave" as well as "Understanding" -- I think it is an unsung masterpiece.  I hope "Understanding" would regenerate the interest on other Brooks' works.

About five years ago I saw a used copy of the 32 Jazz reissue of The Free Slave at Dusty Groove's Chicago storefront for $25 and passed, after some hesitation--I was aware of the album's reputation, but the price was just a bit steep for me, or so it seemed at the time.  Now I'm like, "What was I thinking?!"  Maybe this new release will help bring about new life on CD for TFS (from Japan, perhaps?).

4 hours ago, felser said:

Someone really needs to rescue the Muse catalog and do an intelligent reissue campaign.  I think Nippon Japan owns the rights at this point.

I've been saying that for a LONG time. There is a ton of great music from that label rotting away in someone's vault and only a small percentage has ever been reissued, mostly on 32 Jazz.

Looking forward to Understanding. Had it on pre-order since I first heard about it.

I always “liked” The Free Slave, don’t get me wrong — but for years I’ve felt like it wasn’t as good as I was hoping (But maybe my expectations of it have always been too high).

It’s a solid ‘B’ album, but I always hoped for more of a B+/A- sort of affair.

I do definitely plan to get Understanding soon-ish, once the positive first-hand reports start rolling in (or if I can stream a couple full-length tracks from it somehow). Not a title I’m gonna sleep too long on getting either.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

No complaints about this:

46 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Not a title I’m gonna sleep too long on getting either.

Especially these days, especially if you want a CD...I got the LP on this one back in the day because Ritchie Cole et al were selling a lot of Muse records, so there was catalog in better stores. It was easy, when shopping, to throw in some "older" titles as well as new ones. Same thing with the Cedar Walton/Clifford Jordan boomer's dates. That shit came out when I was in high scroll, got great reviews, but mail order/internet/downloading....Space Age technology. So, cutouts for gonzo grababunch of WTF?, and aware old/new shopping for newer things (newer meaning, like within he last 5 years LOL).

That shit ain't happening now. You snooze, you lose before you even start to snore, hell, even before you eyes get closed all the way.

PREORDER NOW, LISTEN WHENEVER.