Very Early Uk Capitol Stereo LPs

stereover

Oh yes very much so! UK were superior pressings to US ones, lovely recessed labels 180/200g heavyweight ones. The cardboard used, was very hardwearing, the front covers has exactly the same photos used, they were laminated in Clarifoil. All were bannered with top white stripe having a repetition  of the LP title. In the banner in the top right were a choice of three ‘STEREO’ logo’s: LARGE, Medium and small. I still say Capitol had the best artwork/photographic plates. 

Was the average cover thickness of the UK Capitol stereo pressing significantly larger than that of the contemporary mono releases?

I've always found the "Clarifoil" lamination of those UK pressings a real nuisance as they tended to peel and flake badly, starting around the edges and extending inwards more or less rapidly, and the cover edges usually are frayed too as the covers were thinner than the US ones.  (I guess it must be hard for a collector to find copies with pristine lamination) OTOH, ring wear was not that much of a problem (whereas with many US 50s cardboard covers (Capitol and others), one look at the cover was almost sufficient to start ring wear (with color rubbing off faster than you were able to look). :D

1 hour ago, stereover said:

The Capitol LP covers here in the UK were exactly the same thickness, only difference being the stereo or mono logo in the banner. The large or medium logo were the more aesthetically pleasing than the small ones.

I have some UK Capitol Sinatra LPs that I believe date from the 1950s or 60s.  I also have a Webley Edwards dating from the late 1950s.  The covers are of the thin laminated variety that I typically associate with UK album sleeves.  They also have the fold-over flaps along the top, bottom, and closed side on the rear cover.  Based on what you are saying, are these later pressings?  Would the originals have had thick covers?

Most only ever one pressing, yes they are all ‘flip over’ strengthened  sleeves. Some from the 1950s here in the UK indeed had thin laminated sleeves in both sides a ‘scalloped’ sleeves. I have many double issues-that is the mono & the stereo pressings of the same recordings. The Stereo ones had the banner FULL SPECTRUM OF STEREO. Capitol started the banner with either Mono or Stereo on the top right corner of photo front 1960/61 until the banners themselves were discontinued altogether in 1965. Here in the UK the first Capitol regular LP (ST) and the first classical (SP) LP we’re first issued in September 1958.

Edited by stereover

On 7/16/2021 at 7:26 PM, HutchFan said:

stereover,

I'd love to see some pix of your favorite covers. 

And welcome to the forum. :)

Thank you so much yes I have many I can post-last one I tried to message said it was too large.

On 7/16/2021 at 0:07 AM, Teasing the Korean said:

Les Baxter's Space Escapade has the greatest album cover ever. 

R-2111215-1264614824.jpeg.jpg

Beautiful studio photo one of the few that had not a UK pressing.

16 minutes ago, stereover said:

Thank you so much yes I have many I can post-last one I tried to message said it was too large.

You can share images from the internet here on this forum.  No need to message them. ;)  To do that:

1. Search for an image that you'd like to share on the web. 
  2. Right-click on the image and select Copy Image Address.  
  3. On the forum here, select to Reply to a Topic on this (or any other) thread. 
  4. Then select the Insert other media button > Insert Image from URL.
  5. Paste the image address in the dialog box.

I hope that helps!

I have both the Mono & Stereo UK copies of ‘Blue Chiffon’ George Shearing 1959. Jack Marshall UK LP: ‘Soundsville’ both ST & Mono. Capitol (I think) were unparalleled in their photographic studio artwork. Have so many other doubles too.

‘Ports of Pleasure’ Baxter

’Sea of Dreams’ Riddle

’St Louis Blues ‘ Nat King Cole

’Wild Guitars’ Baxter

’Where Are You’ Sinatra

‘There’s A Party Goin’ On’ Wanda Jackon

So many others.

Bryan

Edited by stereover
Additions

3 hours ago, stereover said:

Yes I do actually, would make sense & keep production costs down, have you seen the cover for ‘Love Tide’ again by Nelson.

I have that album.  I tend to like Nelson more with vocalists than on his own, but I love three tracks from that album:  "Carvan," "Sweet Leilani," and "Bali Hai."

11 minutes ago, stereover said:

Nice one-last week I received Nelson’ Route 66 LP UK Stereo copy.

Have you ever compared the mono and stereo versions of early Capitol stereo sessions?  Capitol used different mic setups for the mono and stereo recordings.  The sound is drastically different. 

Edited by Teasing the Korean