Very Early Uk Capitol Stereo LPs

stereover

Just now, stereover said:

Yes, to me the Mono and stereo are very different with Capitol doing a proper stereo mix-not that awfully 'separated' stereo.

The stereo sessions were done with two or three mics strung overhead.  If it was a vocal album, it was two overhead mics and one for the vocal.

The stereo has a natural room sound, but sometimes details could be lost.  For example, the bass is hardly audible on the stereo Kenton in Hi-Fi.  

The mono session used close miking, with as many as 7 individual channels mixed on-the-fly to mono.

4 minutes ago, stereover said:

Most interesting to read. Had you worked at Capitol?

No. I wasn't born yet even if I had wanted to. ;)  But I researched this several years ago.  

It wasn't until around 1959 that the stereo and mono versions were mixed from the same multi-track master.  Until then, it was separate recordings.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

By the way, when my wife and I got married, we went to the beach in St. Petersburg, FL.  At the time, you could get all kinds of cheap vinyl in Florida.  I remember dragging huge bags of albums onto plane flights, and having to rearrange my luggage to accommodate the additional bag.

Anyway, during that trip when we got married, I will never forget finding a pristine copy of Jack Marshall's Soundsville on Capitol.  I also found Tony Bennett's debut Cloud 7, in pristine shape, on that same trip. 

Ms. TTK shares my taste in music - and cover art - and she was equally thrilled to find these.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

By the way, when my wife and I got married, we went to the beach in St. Petersburg, FL.  At the time, you could get all kinds of cheap vinyl in Florida.  I remember dragging huge bags of albums onto plane flights, and having to rearrange my luggage to accommodate the additional bag.

Ms. TTK shares my taste in music - and cover art - and she was equally thrilled to find these.

Same for me. But it was Scotland and whisky. Anyway, the marriage more or less survived.

Edited by Rabshakeh