Karl Evangelista's Apura with Special Guest Andrew Cyrille (US Online Premiere)

219778045_1441438739545580_5891724577224

Hey, all-

I'm very excited to share this project - long in the making and fraught with obstacles (this was supposed to premiere in 2020, and, well...).

On Saturday, July 31, I'll be staging the online premiere of Apura, a work I initiated in 2018 as a way of exploring the bond between improvised music, a legacy of activism, and my Filipino American heritage. Joining me will be the extraordinary talents of the legendary Mr. Andrew Cyrille, Francis Wong, Lisa Mezzacappa, Rei Scampavia, and Patrick Wolff. (Lest it go unsaid, my endless thanks go to our own Alexander Hawkins + Louis Moholo-Moholo, both of whom were supposed to participate in this performance but could not attend.) 

Trust me when I say that if you're a fan of the classic Cecil Taylor Units, Francis Wong's work with the late Glenn Horiuchi, and the Apura recording with Messrs. Hawkins, Moholo-Moholo, and Trevor Watts, you will not be disappointed. Everyone came to play, and I've been humbled by the power and investment I've heard in this music. 

Tickets are available here: https://apura.brownpapertickets.com
and a discount code you can use at checkout: @puraUS

Details: 
Karl Evangelista's Apura with Special Guest Andrew Cyrille 
Saturday, July 31, 6pm PT/9pm PT

*Video will be live for 2 days
Streaming Online from Oaktown Jazz Workshops

Thanks for the support, all! It's taken forever to put this thing together, but it's going to be a joy. (I'm also happy to report that we have a studio album in the can...)

To those who have ordered: ticketing confirmations are being sent out on a rolling basis. Thanks for your patience.

Finally - I thought it might bring some amusement, so here's a quick sizzle reel I threw together: