Pat Metheny - Side-Eye NYC (V1.IV)

mjzee

Release date September 10:

71WUItKtvZS._SL1200_.jpg

Pat explains, “I wanted to create an ongoing platform to host a rotating cast of the newer generations of musicians who have particularly caught my interest along the way. From my earliest days in Kansas City onward, I was the beneficiary of so many older musicians hiring me, which gave me a chance to develop through the prism of their experiences and the particular demands of what their music implied.” Metheny has given this band concept the name Side-Eye and hopes that it might become a rotating group of musicians who could come and go in different combinations. So far, there have been four iterations, hence the V.1-IV sub-heading on the record. Whether searingly electric, powerfully intense or deeply contemplative, highly composed or totally improvised, or even with some new-fangled contraption of his own design, there is always that unmistakable Metheny sensibility at work that has stood at the forefront of jazz for what is now approaching five decades. The Side-Eye series is the latest chapter in his continually unfolding story.

On 7/25/2021 at 9:45 AM, tranemonk said:

I have to say I've been disappointed in the last several Metheny records but since this is a live set, I'm willing to give it a try. I thought there was a rumor that there was going to be one more Metheny Group record before Lyle Mays passed????

I believe PM said they had discussed working again but nothing more, I guess due to his illness.  As for his recent recordings, From this Place is terrific-his best recording in a while. The hr download is very dynamic.

• 10 months later...